lift up backside

fitatfifty

Cathlete
IS there any SPECIFIC exercise/exercises that REALLY lift the butt up? I do so many of the ones that target the lower half of my body already BUT to lift the backside PLEASE HELP!!!;-)

The one exercise that works pretty quickly for me is leg presses. I also noticed that if I do 2-3 step workouts a week my backside gets a nice lift even if the scale doesn't move. HTH

Leg presses, definitely. I started doing them about three years ago when I started with The Firm. The results were amazing. Now that I do mostly Cathe, I don't do as many leg leg presses as I did back then, but my butt is still up there.

Defintely leg presses. I already have an extremely lifted butt, always have, and too many leg presses (i.e. the Firm) gave me a shelf back there. It literally looked like you could set something back there. Since going cold turkey from the Firm and using Cathe only, I now have a nice butt that will fit into my jeans, but it is still lifted.

So, if you need to lift that butt, definitely do leg presses several times a week.

The quadruped hip extension (on all fours, keeping your knee bent, lift one foot towards the ceiling) targets the glutes really well (Cathe does these in Butts and Guts...which is a great workout to lift the rear!---in fact, I sometimes think of the new workout series as the "Butt blaster series" because all the workouts seem to hit the area well, and the cumulative effect of doing them in a rotation is nice).

The recent issue of Muscle and Fitness Hers recommends doing a superset of quadrupeds followed by lunges then step-ups to really blast the glutes.

(I've always considered the Firm my 'go-to' workout to lift the butt: the combo of leg presses and their hover squats are what did it most, but Cathe's more recent workouts hit the area well also).

Just wanted to know if the leg presses in the Firm are the same as what Cathe calls leg presses in her work-outs (i.e. the step-ups). If not.... what are they ?

Thanks

Traci

They are the same, but the firm may use different strategies (working the negative or working the positive). Plus, the Firm (at least the older ones I have experienced- don't know about the new ones) uses a lot more sets.

I would start using B&G, as well as the rest of the series. Like Kathryn said, the new series definitely targets the hams, quads, and glutes.

HTH:D

>The quadruped hip extension (on all fours, keeping your knee
>bent, lift one foot towards the ceiling) targets the glutes
>really well (Cathe does these in Butts and Guts...which is a
>great workout to lift the rear!---in fact, I sometimes think
>of the new workout series as the "Butt blaster series" because
>all the workouts seem to hit the area well, and the cumulative
>effect of doing them in a rotation is nice).
>
>The recent issue of Muscle and Fitness Hers recommends doing a
>superset of quadrupeds followed by lunges then step-ups to
>really blast the glutes.
>
>(I've always considered the Firm my 'go-to' workout to lift
>the butt: the combo of leg presses and their hover squats are
>what did it most, but Cathe's more recent workouts hit the
>area well also).
THANKS ladies. You have been a great help. I will definitley get "butts and guts".

"Working the negative or positive" .... what does that mean ? Does that refer to your starting point... whether you start on the floor or on the step ?
Thanks for the info.
I bought Butts and Guts but I haven't tried it yet. I revisted Legs and Glutes this week and my legs were shaking like crazy during the workout.

Traci

>"Working the negative or positive" .... what does that mean ?

The "positive" part of a move is when you are working against gravity to lift the weight (ie: the 'curl' part of a biceps curl, or the "lift" part of a lat row, or the "lift' part of a lateral raise, or, if you are using machines: the 'push down' part of a triceps push-down, etc.). The "negative" part of a move is when you are working in the same direction as gravity, resisting the lowering (usually) of the weight (ie: the 'lowering' portion of a bicep curl or a lat row or a lateral raise, or on the machine, the 'release hands up' part of a triceps push-down).

In relation to the step-ups/leg-presses, the 'positive' would be when you are pushing up onto the step. The "negative' when you are lowering down from the step. With hover squats, the positive would be when you are standing up, and the negative when you are sitting down.

Thanks Kathryn ... you've explained it so well. So how many reps and how many sets of leg presses per workout do you have to do to get that lift ?

Traci

> So how many
>reps and how many sets of leg presses per workout do you have
>to do to get that lift ?

YMMV. It's very individual. But I find that multiple sets (3-5), varying tempo, amount of weight lifted (slower reps with heavier weights, faster reps with perhaps no weight) work well. One workout with a LOT of leg presses in is HSTA.

Hate to butt in here on Cathe's thread, but have a quick question for Kathryn.

On the positive negative note, thinking about that, I would think the hover squats in sitting position would be the positive, cuz you are at peak contraction. Am I thinking through it wrong?

Anyhoo, great question and great responses, I love the firm moves, aka Cathe's step ups, great results and a great strength builder.

It really helped to recover from muscle loss in one leg from a foot fracture years ago. I concentrated on the weak leg until I could match the other leg.

Thanks,
Amber

>On the positive negative note, thinking about that, I would
>think the hover squats in sitting position would be the
>positive, cuz you are at peak contraction. Am I thinking
>through it wrong?

It's still considered the negative. Your muscle is contracting when doing negatives, it just isn't as noticeable as on the positive, unless you slow down the move. (negatives are 'excentric contractions"--contracting while lengthening the muscle--while positives are "concentric contractions" --contracting while shortening the muscle. There are also 'isometric contractions": contracting while keeping the same muscle length...and the 'hold" part of the sit-and-stands, and the 'hover' part of hover squats, which are similar, make use of that as well).

Thanks Kathryn....maybe I'm just thinking that the agony of hovering...has to be a positive!!lol

that's great info..:) :)

Amber

Hi Kathryn,

I am new to posting on forums and I don't even use my cell to text message so please forgive me but.... what are "YMMV" and HSTA ??

Kathryn... you are so knowledgeable ... I am curious... are you an exercise physiologists or another fitness professional ??

>I am new to posting on forums and I don't even use my cell to
>text message so please forgive me but.... what are "YMMV" and
>HSTA ??
YMMV: Your mileage may vary (ie: what works for one person may not work for another).

HSTA: High Step Trainiing: Advanced (a Cathe workout).

>
>Kathryn... you are so knowledgeable ... I am curious... are
>you an exercise physiologists or another fitness professional
>??

No, I just read a lot (and have been doing so since around 1982) and have used a lot of videos. (I do have a PhD in French, which I hope means I have the skills to reasearch and make connections and theorize.)

I don't feel comfortable writing so much in the Ask Cathe forum, so if anyone has other questions they want to address to me or other forum members, I suggest posting them in the Open Discussion forum.
>
>
;-)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.