Leg workouts with weighted vest?

divagirl

Cathlete
Anyone do any of cathe's workouts with a weighted vest too? I just bought a 20lb vest and was thinking of doing Butt & Gutts with it on and lowering the weight of dumbbells.

I guess I should try Gym Style legs with it too. Oh, and Amy Bento's weighted workout. Ima scared!

Tina

I haven't bought a weighted vest yet, but that is on my "wish" list. I had already planned on buying it for the new STS workouts, but haven't yet. Let us know how you do using a 20 lb. vest (or even 10 lb.). I really want to know because that is one of my most favorite lower body workouts and I see great results everytime I put it into my rotation.

Thanks! Julie

Forgot to ask -- can you change the weight of the vest (since you said you might lower it to 10 lbs.)? Since I haven't seen one in person yet, I wasn't sure. That would be great!!

I'm undecided about which vest to buy.

I was looking at a 10lb speed vest. I like it because it's short and looks comfortable. However, I'm not sure if I should go heavier.
The speed vest only goes up to 10lbs.
The second vest I'm considering comes with 12lbs and can go up to 20.
Just not sure how much weight and if I will really use it?

I don't want to be all bound up while working out.:9

>The second vest I'm considering comes with 12lbs and can go up
>to 20.

I'd recommend this one. If you get a 10# vest, you'd have to buy another one if you wanted to use anything more. 20# will give you some room to grow.

FYI: For walking, it's generally recommended that one use no more than 10% of one's body weight when wearing a weighted vest. That's more than 10# for most of us:) . And for doing squats (to use a total weight that excedes the amount you can safely lift over your head), more than 10# comes in handy.

I have a 25 pounder and it kills my neck! I used it for walking lunges and yeah, it hurt. But it is adjustable-thank goodness!

BTW, I just did Leaner Legs with my vest, I took some of the weight out and it was fine! My legs however are a different story.}(

I just ordered a vest from amazon! I'm so excited to be able to lift heavier with my lower body with out the need for a squat rack. That piece of equipment just WON'T fit in my tiny little house but a weighted vest will!:7

>The second vest I'm considering comes with 12lbs and can go up
>to 20.
>

Hi Cynthia,

Can I ask where you found this second vest? I like the idea of it being adjustable!

Thanks!
:)

I bought the Gofit vest which is 20 lbs and this morning I took out 8 lbs so I left it at 12lb for my leg workout. It worked great. I used it with Amy Bento but am totally looking forward to using it for cathe's butt and gutts workout. I think it will work great. I'm dreading that lunge/squat series with it on :eek: (in a good way of course)

Tina

Thanks, Cynthia! I'll check it out!

Tina, did you find the GoFit vest at Target? (They seem to carry a lot of GoFit products.)

It looks like this will be a much cheaper alternative to the squat racks!:)

RE: I JUST BOUGHT ONE!!!

Hooray, Allison! Hope that it's not too killer for GS Legs tonight!}(

Dang! I wish we had Dick's out here in California! I bet our Target doesn't carry the weighted vests, but I might give it a shot later this week.

I bought my vest at dick's too. Allison, let us know tomorrow how GS Legs was with use of the vest. I'm doing it later in the week for sure.

Thanks for the link! I hadn't realized that they were quite so much money. Hmm . . . yet another fitness expense!;-)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.