Leg Emphasis

rosehenry

Hello Cathe

I am a Tri-athlete. I have purchased the STS system. I can only commit to 2 x weight session a week, and would like more emphasis on my legs. Can I follow the program but follow it like this:

Week 1:
Session 1: chest, shoulders & biceps
Session 2: Legs

Week 2:
Session 1: Triceps & Back
Session 2: Legs

So I am actually doing legs every week, and alternating between, chest, shoulders & biceps AND triceps & back on every other week.

Thank you

I would love to hear what you think?

on the 1st session of the week. Followed by legs for the 2nd of the week. Then for example, on week

I just started STS with modifications, since I did not like the result of 2 hours a week for only upper body

I will be doing this:

upper (30 min only of both DVDs for a total of one hour)
cardio
Legs
Cardio

and continue like that

I thought about doing what you were mentioning, but I feel that I will get better results with an overall upper every week...

I was reading an article in a Triathlon magazine on this question just yesterday.

Rather than STS, what the article recommends is weight training that is very specific. You need to tailor your weights work to support your triathlon activities, where the emphasis is upon maintaining and building a strong core, stability and muscular endurance for your running, swimming and biking. STS may not be your best option therefore and is probably better saved until the off season, unless you just keep using Mesocycle 1, muscular endurance, which is your best bet, especially the additional leg training DVD.

But I also think that it is better to do the upper body, all muscle groups, once per week. If you chose one of Cathe's endurance workouts instead of STS for your in season training, you could do the whole body twice per week in the time it takes to train the whole body once with STS and this would support your triathlon activities better. If instead, you chose to do the whole body once per week with an endurance workout, this would still leave you the additional one weights session to focus on the lower body (try that extra DVD in Mesocycle 1 of STS for this) and core.

So, take a look at Muscle Endurance DVD, Muscle Max DVD, and the new High Reps and Lower Body DVDs coming out next week. All of these are great options that would support your triathlon training.

If you chose not to go the Cathe route or to also explore other options, Tracie Long's Longevity and Focus workouts would also help you with getting endurance, stability and a great core.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.