Left side weaker...should the right side WAIT for it???

FirmNurse

Cathlete
This might seem really silly, but it is a question I have EACH workout!!!

I AM LEFT handed, only when I write on paper. Otherwise, I do most of everything else with my right hand or I change off and on.

When I perform biceps curls, Arnold presses, Cross body triceps kickbacks, etc....ALL upper body moves....my left arm gives out WAY before my right arm.

In fact, with almost all upper body weight lifting, my right arm can do 10 reps to my left arm's 6 reps. I am using the same weights for both.

My question is this.......

Should my right side WAIT for my left side to get stronger before I INCREASE my weight????? Why should the right side be "bored" or not make any strength or size gains since it is not being as challenged as the left?

I don't use a barbell, only dumbbells. I feel like my left side gets the BURN REALLY GOOD, after a workout, and my right side feels only slightly worked. Should I do more reps on the right side or can I increase the weight on the right side BEFORE the left?

I can use 12 pounds for my biceps on the right and 8-10lbs for the left or is that actually BAD in this situation???

PLEASE, someone with experience help me!! This is a question that I have each day and want to be doing the right thing. Thanks!!!

Hi Jackie,

I have the same problem! Left arm always goes first, especially on tricep exercises.

I usually only train as heavy and do as many reps as the weaker arm can handle. I definitely don't want lopsided looking arms. I suppose I could try to train my left arm more, on its own, more times per week, but I haven't tried that yet.

Gina

RE: Left side weaker...should the right side WAIT for i...

Jackie,
I have that problem in my lower body. My right side is "dead" so I can't feel too much of anything, so, I can lift(press) really heavy on that side. My left side was sooo wobbly and weak--I was getting nowhere--then I had a revelation.

You know, most sets start on the right side---well I started starting all my sets with the left leg and in 1 month my left side has nearly cought up. I struggle towards the end of those 16 rep sets, but I anticipate going up in weight within the month.

I don't think I can make a 5 pound jump on the left side so I'm getting some "Plate Mates" so that I can add weight in smaller increments (5/8 pound pair = 1 1/4 pound increase, 1 1/2 pound pair for a 3 pound increase. I think that will help a lot too.

Hope this sparks some ideas for ya.

Sassy

Good question! I would like to know the answer...But, you think thats strange? Im right handed with everything, except carry my purse/bags, and talk on the phone with my left. But, my left arm is the one that is stronger! Not done, my right arm has the better definition. Now, can someone explain that to me? LOL.....

Hi Jackie! It is normal to have a dominant side. For some it is possible to equal out the strength in both arms, but for others it may never happen. This can be due to reasons such as a previous injury or an impaired ligament attachment, just to name a couple.

If you would like to attempt to even out your arm strength, you have the option of either cutting back on the stronger side to match that of the weaker side or work at making the weaker side stronger.

If you have decided upon making the weaker side stronger, it is best to attempt this with dumbells over barbells, since you can work your arms independently with dumbells.

There is no exact method to make the one side stronger. Here are some suggestions: Try a different way each time you workout.

1) Do the same arm exercise for each side but use about a two pound heavier weight in the weaker arm(getting out as many reps as you safely can).
2) Use the same weight in the weaker arm but do an extra set for each exercise on the weaker side.
3) Do one additional bonus set for the weaker side by focusing on the negative portion of the movement. I suggest one set of 8 reps. Each rep you will spend 2 counts on the positive portion of the movement and 6 counts on the negative. That means for bicep curls go up 2 counts down 6 counts. For arnold presses go up 2 counts, down 6 counts. For kickbacks go up 2 counts down 6 counts.

As I said, sometimes these efforts work and other times (for some reason)the body just "prefers" to have a dominant side.
Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.