Latisse--not a good thing

LauraMax

Cathlete
I started using this stuff about 2 weeks ago, got it from my dermatologist. Just had a checkup w/my eye doc & when they heard I was using it all hell broke loose. Bad for your eyes, will change pigmentation of your eye color, esp. if they're light colored, raises blood pressure, they went on & on about how bad this stuff is.

I thought I'd post a warning b/c I know it's all the rage now in lash growth. Apparently it does make your lashes grow, it just messes up the rest of your body. :eek:

I seen this commercial and was wondering about it, then when I heard the side effects I thought HELL NO! I'll keep my short eyelashes, thank you! :p

Latisse is basically the drug used in eyedrops for glaucoma patients. If someone has glaucoma and then uses latisse as well, they will get way too much of their prescription.

Thanks for posting. From someone who definately needs lash help, I was so excited to see the commercial. And then the part where all of the side effects came, and I heard, "which may be permanent" (the pigmentation). I let out a deep sigh, I was bummed. In the time you have used it though, have you noticed a difference?

Becky

This is the perfect reason to become familiar with applying fake eyelashes for special occasions. They are pretty awesome, but definitely too much of a hassle for every day.

Becky, I have noticed some difference. But not enough to risk my baby blues. ;)

Gmonkey, I agree about the falsies--I actually cut them in half & use them on my outer lids when I wear them. Makes them a little easier to manage.

Hey, I just got back from my derm & they let me return it. Thank goodness! :)

Last edited:
That's weird. I just talked to my eye doctor about trying this and he said it was fine to try. Wouldn't the pigment problem only have the potential to occur if you actually got it in your eye. You just paint it on your lash line correct? I just bought the Latisse kit (haven't opened it) and now I'm afraid to use it.

I am not willing to change my eye color either - light brown with green and gold flecks. Not that this is not tempting as all get out. I had long eyelashes when younger - didn't even need mascara. Not so now. They have thinned out.

I did have them dyed on Tuesday so I didn't have to wear mascara last night to my son's jr. high graduation. I knew I would be crying - especially when the faculty got up at the front of the church and sang a heart wrenching hymn. And I was right - I was done after that.

My salon does lash extensions. I have thought of that. They are $200 initially (takes about 2-3 hours) and then $50 a month for touch ups. I may go this route eventially. Might put DH over the edge . .

I am so out of it. I had no idea what Latisse is and what it is used for. I guess there is good in not worrying about make-up and whether my eye-lashes are long enough!

Baylian & all--stay away from the extensions. I got them last summer, wore them for about 6 mos, & stopped when I realized it was causing my lashes to fall out. :eek: One of the reasons I wanted to try Latisse. Before the extensions I had fairly long lashes. Now they're OK, but still haven't fully recovered from the damage the extensions did.

Wow - Thanks Lauramax! I am so glad you posted your experience - with both of these!

What mascara did you post about last week that was drugstore worthy?

Loreal Double Extend--it comes in a red & white tube. That stuff is awesome--it really does double the length of your lashes, so much that the ends of my lashes leave spots on my eyebrows.

And the falsies are always a good option. They take some practice, but they look really nice once you learn how.

I second the L'Oreal Lash Extend. I bought it on Laura's recommendation last week and it really is great. I love that it works, doesn't flake or run--at all--and is still very easily removed. I always wipe the wand with a tissue before I apply mascara because otherwise it clumps.

I read a pretty long article about in Allure not long ago. That said that all of those side effects can happen, but were very rare even for people putting it directly in their eyes (for glaucoma) so they were saying it would be even more rare - a fraction of 1 percent - for Latisse users.

Alllure also said that it worked very well, but it's only temporary - the eyelashes will return to normal growth pattern when you discontinue use. So it's pretty expensive maintenance.

I am so out of it. I had no idea what Latisse is and what it is used for. I guess there is good in not worrying about make-up and whether my eye-lashes are long enough!

I'm right there in the Land of the Clueless with you, Dorothy! I just saw this commercial for the first time and had no idea that anyone even made something like this. It just isn't worth the risk for something like longer eyelashes---in my opinion, of course. I'll stick to a good mascara. Thanks for the info, Laura.

I have yet to see a commercial for Latisse, but was at a plastic surgeon's office yesterday and they had a poster about RevitaLash and a before and after shot of a woman's eyelashes. Then I realized the woman was the esthetician.

She has been using it for 10 weeks and Holy Mackeral, her eye lashes are BEAUTIFUL!!!! Not sure if it's the same product or not, but it was very tempting. Then I remembered reading this thread and had to find it to talk myself out of it!!:eek:

Last edited:
I was so tempted to try Latisse, but I also have baby blues and my eye color is one of the few vanity items that I was blessed with (though I would much rather have a flat stomach). Even though I also read the Allure article and it sounds like the probability of side effects are extremely minimal, I am just too nervous to go for it! Like my approach to anything else that is new, I'm going to wait for it to be out on the market for awhile - surely if cases of eye color changing start to pop up, we will hear about it.

However, in my quest to do something about my non-existent lashes, I did start using Talika a month ago, which is sold without a prescription and can be bought at higher end department stores and Sephora. It is also supposed to help your eyelashes grow, but doesn't contain the magical ingredient (can't think of the name of it) that causes the side effects of Latisse. Can't really tell if has made a noticeable difference, but if nothing else it is a good mascara primer. But if that is all it does, don't know if I want to spend another $40 on it.

It seems like every company is getting on the "longer lashes" bandwagon. Two others I was considering are from Tarte and Cargo, the former is supposed to be like Talika and the latter is meant to be a mascara primer but makes claims that it will also makes your lashes longer after 30 days. I don't believe either of them have that one ingredient either, so if Talika doesn't work, maybe I'll try one of them. Both have pretty good reviews on Sephora, so we'll see. Sigh, the cost of being vain!

My hairstylist also really likes the Loreal Extend mascara, so maybe I'll try that one next. She said that it comes off in tubes, which seems a little different.

Sigh, I look at my hubby's long lashes and tell him that it is so unfair that he has pretty lashes and he doesn't appreciate it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.