Last appointment: when salon closed or before?

TG007

Cathlete
Hi,

If a hair salon closes at 8 PM. Does it mean their last appoinment is at 8 PM or before that?

A friend had an appointment to get a hair cut at 7:30 PM. When she got there the stylist gave her hell for making the appointment that late.

So our group of friends are debating what the closing time means.

Thanks,
TG

I would imagine it means the doors close at 8 and an appt. should be made leaving enough time. But still the salon took the appt so what are they complaining about. It is their place to tell the client that we close at 8 and you should make the appt for an earlier time slot. Certainly not the client's fault.

I agree with Phyllis. I would think it means they actually close the doors, and would like most clients gone by closing time. I was in getting my hair cut at a salon a couple months ago. The hairdresser and I started talking hair color and a change I would like to make. She said there wasn't enough time to do color that day...and this was about 90 minutes before they were scheduled to close!!

I also agree with Phyllis that the hairdresser in your friend's situation was WAY out of line. Unless your friend was late to her appointment, and thus making the hairdresser even later, it isn't your friend's fault. The salon scheduled her at that time. The hairdresser should take it up with reception/scheduling staff or the salon ownership.

Carrie

I agree it has nothing to do with your friend and the stylist should not have yelled at her for coming at 7:30. If your friend had just walked into the salon without an appointment then I could see it but the salon set up that appointment. The receptionist know how late to schedule someone on any given day, so that has nothing to do with the customer.

At a reputable salon, there are two distinctions. I am lucky that my salon does not make it confusing.

So in light of that, if the salon is "closing" at 8 AND they do not want to be there much later than that, then they should make that clear and their appointments should be in line with their finishing time of 8 pm.

If a salon is taking appointments until 8, that means you appoinment STARTS at 8 and will end when you are completely finished and they are there until your appointment is fulfilled.

Of course, in a perfect world, we shouldn't even have to question this so let us know what happens.

I think it depends on the salon, but there's no reason she should have been mad at YOUR FRIEND (unless, as someone else mentioned, she arrived late). The salon employee setting up the appointment should know how late to schedule the final appointment.

IMO, "closing at 8:00" means that the last appointment should be over by then (though some might take a bit longer at times), definitely not "last appointment at 8:00".

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.