Lara bar recipes?

jcm

Cathlete
Just wondering if anyone out there has a recipe for a bar similiar to the Lara Bar? I like how they are "whole" food, plus I switched to a Paleo-type diet 2 months ago and LOVE it and don't want to go back. But those things are expensive! Want to try making something like that that's gluten-free and real food.

Jen

Sorry I didn't say more earlier, when I responded w that link. :D I was supposed to have been out of the house 5 minutes earlier! LOL

That is NOT my blog; a good friend of mine (who is a strict vegan) turned me onto the blog last year. I have been using that very recipe for several months now and LOVE it. I've made all the variations, and even sort of played around to make different ones when I was short on an ingredient here or there. My personal fave is the Cashew Cookie version!!!

ENJOY!

Last edited:
Awesome! I know I could turn to you guys for a point in the right direction! Gonna make these tomorrow!

I just made these today! I did the apricot/date/almond version. They were super simple and VERY tasty!! I can't wait try the other flavors! Highly recommended :D

Natasha

I made them 2 hours ago! I did the cherry but added a tiny bit of dark chocolate. Had to hide them from my 3 kids :)

Yum! Thx for sharing. I have been wanting some homemade Lara Bars where I can control the ingredients. And after reading about mold on peanuts I want to use almonds and cashews more.

I love Larabars and used to eat them all of the time but they too expensive is right! I've recently come upon some extra free time in my week so perhaps I'll give one of these recipes a shot some day myself! Thanks for sharing!:)

And after reading about mold on peanuts I want to use almonds and cashews more.

And this is why you shouldn't read. Reading is bad for you. Don't do it! ;):p

And this is why you shouldn't read. Reading is bad for you. Don't do it! ;):p

I agree! I read "selectively" ;)

Wendy the bars were so easy and tasty. I'm not a baker, but these babies took me literally 10min w/prep. Next time I am going to do the PB&J :D

Natasha

I agree! I read "selectively" ;)

Wendy the bars were so easy and tasty. I'm not a baker, but these babies took me literally 10min w/prep. Next time I am going to do the PB&J :D

Natasha

LOL on the reading. Me too! :D

Oh that's fantastic news. I have to go to the foodstore today anyway so maybe I'll pick up the ingredients and make them before the week is out! Thanks for letting me know!

I made 2 batches yesterday and DH and I both enjoyed! I agree Natasha....the entire process is very simple. I'm excited to try more variations!! :)

OMG, it didn't even occur to me there could be a homemade recipe out there for LaraBars! Thanks so much. I can't wait to give it a try.

Cost of Homemade Lara Bars

Has anyone who has made the homemade variations done a cost breakdown of the ingredients?

The blog post says it makes 2 bars....I can usually find Lara Bars on sale for $1 a piece and sometimes a coupon on that. Dried fruit (especially cherries) can be expensive....

Just wondering if it really is a cost save (not including my time to make them...)

Thanks!

Jeanette

Has anyone who has made the homemade variations done a cost breakdown of the ingredients?

The blog post says it makes 2 bars....I can usually find Lara Bars on sale for $1 a piece and sometimes a coupon on that. Dried fruit (especially cherries) can be expensive....

Just wondering if it really is a cost save (not including my time to make them...)

Thanks!

Jeanette

I just made the date/dried apricot/almond bars. It cost me approx $6.00 for the ingredients. I made 2 bars and still have a TON of ingredients leftover to make at least 10-15 more. I usually buy ingredients that are reasonably priced/on sale. It took me 10min to make (prep included). So yes, this saved me money and considering it took so little of my time, very worth it IMHO.

Natasha

For me, it's more about the "homemade" aspect. However, I did go shopping again today for ingredients and I would say that in the grand scheme of things, it is less expensive to make your own. Here is what my Wegman's store is charging per pound for some of the ingredients. (You can make a LOT of bars with a pound of ingredients!):

Raw cashews: $8.99
Medjool dates: $4.99
Dried cherries: $7.99
Organic dark choc chips: $9.49 (These are TOO good!!)) lol

A box of Larabars costs approx. $20 in my area, so yes, I do believe that making my own bars is very worthwhile. HTH! :-D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.