Lara Bar Recipe

jaypea

Cathlete
If you love Lara Bars, you'll love this simple recipe. I roll the "dough" into balls and place them back in the date container. I put them in the fridge and eat one or two for a snack or anytime you need some energy. The base is always Medjool dates, but you can experiment with different ingredients to add in. Way cheaper than buying the bars! I found a 2 lb box of medjool dates at Costco for 9.99!
Here's one of my favorites:
1 lb medjool dates
Some salted peanuts (or unsalted)-a handful
1/2 bar dark chocolate (I used Endangered Species Dark Chocolate with 88% cocoa bc it was on sale at the store and tastes good).
I scoop protein powder (if you want to) I used a scoop of chocolate Isalean shake powder
To make:
Pit dates (this is very important-trust me[emoji6]).
Place the nuts and chocolate in blender (also protein powder if you use it) in blender (I use a vitamix 7500). Pulse until it's all ground up fine.
Add the dates a bit at a time and pulse until all blended. **I've had the motor shut off on me from getting too hot, but I've found adding the drier ingredients first helps.
Scoop mixture (kind of resembles chocolate dough) into a bowl. Form into small balls or bars. Cover and placed in fridge.
I'm telling you, I don't like the taste of dates by themselves. I don't taste them at all in this recipe.It's almost like they take the taste of the nuts and chocolate.

If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it. If you have any other ideas for ingredients, please share!

Jen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pits are very hard. When I accidentally lost focus during pitting and had a few slip into the date pile, not the pit pile, my teeth got a nice surprise when I bit into the energy balls. They are hard like stones.

If you love Lara Bars, you'll love this simple recipe. I roll the "dough" into balls and place them back in the date container. I put them in the fridge and eat one or two for a snack or anytime you need some energy. The base is always Medjool dates, but you can experiment with different ingredients to add in. Way cheaper than buying the bars! I found a 2 lb box of medjool dates at Costco for 9.99!
Here's one of my favorites:
1 lb medjool dates
Some salted peanuts (or unsalted)-a handful
1/2 bar dark chocolate (I used Endangered Species Dark Chocolate with 88% cocoa bc it was on sale at the store and tastes good).
I scoop protein powder (if you want to) I used a scoop of chocolate Isalean shake powder
To make:
Pit dates (this is very important-trust me[emoji6]).
Place the nuts and chocolate in blender (also protein powder if you use it) in blender (I use a vitamix 7500). Pulse until it's all ground up fine.
Add the dates a bit at a time and pulse until all blended. **I've had the motor shut off on me from getting too hot, but I've found adding the drier ingredients first helps.
Scoop mixture (kind of resembles chocolate dough) into a bowl. Form into small balls or bars. Cover and placed in fridge.
I'm telling you, I don't like the taste of dates by themselves. I don't taste them at all in this recipe.It's almost like they take the taste of the nuts and chocolate.

If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it. If you have any other ideas for ingredients, please share!

Jen

OOH! This sounds great. I've been trying to figure out a way to make a more healthful version of what my Mother used to make around the holidays, called "Chinese Chews". They were amazing, but, of course had sugar and white flour in the recipe. I think the protein powder would result in something pretty similar, with no added sugar as dates are sweet enough! I'm going to make these this weekend, thanks!

Couple of questions:

I assume you can substitute any nuts for the peanuts....I love walnuts!

Also, I have Endangered Species chocolate...that comes in 50 cal squares....what would be the equivalent to the half of a "bar" you mentioned in the recipe?

Thanks!

Hi fox2star,
Yes, substitute any nuts you want. Walnuts are great! I usually use 7-9 squares of chocolate from the bar.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.