Kombucha

dr.mel_PT

Cathlete
Has anyone tried this? My friend swears by this stuff and I'm curious to try it. Where can you find it?

Has anyone tried this? My friend swears by this stuff and I'm curious to try it. Where can you find it?

Is this a drink? If so, I have tried it. My sister told me about it. her personal trainer drinks you, so I guess she wanted to try it...and then I was curious. It tastes good, there are different flavors. But, the price was enough to convince me not to try it again. I got it at whole foods. So I can't really tell you more than that. Maybe someone has more info regarding it's effects.

Apparently you can make it yourself too....

You can buy it in regular grocery stores that carry a natural food/health section. It's ~ $3.50 a bottle. Some flavors are good and others gross.

We drink it, but we make ours instead. I love it. The homemade is much better. We just bottled about 2.5 gallons. The next batch is currently fermenting.

You can buy it in regular grocery stores that carry a natural food/health section. It's ~ $3.50 a bottle. Some flavors are good and others gross.

We drink it, but we make ours instead. I love it. The homemade is much better. We just bottled about 2.5 gallons. The next batch is currently fermenting.

This makes me think I should try it again. I bought some one time (I can't remember the flavor) and it was so disgusting. I have a pretty high tolerance for healthy stuff that may not taste all that great too! Which flavors would you say taste the best?

I have gotten some at Whole Foods, on the advice of a friend who loves it. When it is on sale it is $2 a bottle, so that is not too much. You can also get a case discount if you buy a case including when it is on sale so the cost comes way down.

I really did not like it. I tried. I really did, but I never could get into it. :eek:

Would you post the recipe, plz? Thanks!
Making it involves having a "SCOBY" (shorthand for 'symbiotic combination of bacteria and yeast". It is the culture that kombucha comes from, and looks kind of like the body of a jellyfish. It's sometimes refered to as a 'muchroom,' but it's not). You can buy them, or get them from someone who makes kombucha (every time you make kombucha, the 'mother' culture creates a 'baby' which can be used as a mother in a new batch.)

Sometimes, these cultures form naturally in kombucha (I actually had some raw apple cider vinegar that formed a similar one in the bottle).

How To Make Kombucha

Here's a place where you can buy kits: Buy Kombucha Cultures: Mushroom Scoby & Kombucha Starter Kit

If you do a search for "buy kombucha culture," you'll find quite a bit more. You can also find kombucha starter kits on Etsy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.