kombucha

OMG TeTe, you made me laugh again. I am starting to think (along with Spinal Tap) that we had the same influences growing up;-). LoL...

Lea

You are too funny. No, not those mushrooms these are the ones that you make a funky tea out of and they're supposed to prevent cancer and heart disease and all that good stuff.
Heather

Hi there,

I live in Japan and there is a tea called Kombucha, but it is not made from mushrooms. Kombu is a seaweed, and the tea has some salt in it, so it tastes more like soup. Sour salty soup. Slightly gross sour salty soup, at least to my palate :) .

From looking it up on the internet, it seems there may be two kinds (the mushroom one and the seaweed one). In that case, if you are looking to buy some kind of mushroom konbucha that is slightly sweet, just make sure it ain't the seaweed one, because it's just the opposite!

>I live in Japan and there is a tea called Kombucha, but it is
>not made from mushrooms. Kombu is a seaweed, and the tea has
>some salt in it, so it tastes more like soup. Sour salty
>soup. Slightly gross sour salty soup, at least to my palate
>:) .
>

Kombu and kombucha are two different things. Kombu is the seaweed, kombucha is a tea (but it's not a mushroom either). Kombucha tastes nothing like Kombu broth.
From www.gtskombucha.com:
"Kombucha is alternately known as a Chinese tea, a plant, or a mushroom. But it's not really any of these. It's a living culture of beneficial microorganisms, and in Kombucha's case, the whole is infinitely greater than the sum of its parts! Our Kombucha is delicately cultured - some liken it to fermentation - for 30 days. During this period, essential nutrients form like active enzymes, viable probiotics, amino acids, antioxidants and polyphenols. All of these combine to create an elixir that immediately works with the body to restore balance and vitality. Kombucha has been used for hundreds of years throughout the world as a daily health tonic. The culture resembles a light brown, tough, gelatinous disk�and because it's a living, growing entity, it can regenerate and create new cultures with every batch. In fact, GT's Kombucha and Synergy are made from Kombucha cultures that are descendants of the original culture GT grew to create his first bottles."

I've tried GTSkombucha, which is raw/fermented kombucha, the most powerful type. I bought it in a health food store, and opened while driving on my way home. I was hoping no police officer would stop me, because it smelled very much like beer (that fermentation!). It does have trace amounts of alcohol in (less than .5%, which isn't a lot, but since I drink very rarely, maybe enough to effect me some!). It had strands of culture in (the way that raw, unfilter apple cider vinegar does) and was pleasantly tangy. I haven't been back to the store since, but was thinking of ordering a case of it).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.