knees

mmarg9

Sorry... I haven't had the time to search through the history of this site but I do have a question re: knees. I've 'Firmed" 3- 4x weekly for ~ 8 years now and switched to mainly Cathe for the last 6 months. I'm noticing my knees are bearing the brunt of this switch ... Nothing major just more conscious of a sensation in the joint (as in when I go down stairs) and I can't figure out why because my quads are v. strong and I was using the Firm 10" and 14" step. Switched to 6 / 8" with Cathe - could it be (God forbid)age?... I'm 43 Has anyone else noticed this sort of thing/ Please advise / suggest/ console.
Thanks

I'm 24, so I can't tell you whether or not age is a factor. I'm sure it has something to do with it.
My knees started to ache years ago. I had been doing step regularly (with little cross-training) for years, and then all of a sudden, my knees couldn't take it. So I took some time off and then cut my stepping back in half and added other cardio.

Maybe the years (8 years is a long time- especially using the tall box) of stepping are finally catching up with you. It may not be Cathe's videos, just timing. I would take time off if possible or cut back on stepping until your knees feel better. It will only get worse. My kness are fine now. Also, make sure you're varying your cardio.

Good luck!
PS- I spent $90 to see a special doctor regarding this- waste of $! Even though my knees ached enough for me to see him, he said my problem wasn't bad. I was x-rayed and all. He suggested doing strengthening exercises like leg extensions.

This sounds arrogant, but what the heck?? I don't care what any doc says, aching knees are NOT normal! As a physical therapist, I've treated far too many people with knee pain and gotten them significantly better, as have the other clinicians I know.

If the ache comes on insidiously, ie without any known specific trauma, especially with women, it is typically the result of patellar malalignment. Some of the reasons for the problem are structural (like a broader pelvis) and can't be changed, but a number of other contributing factors can be.

As a person with chronic knee problems--going back to when I was 10 and I'm 41 now, I can tell ya that ignoring the pain and not correcting the problem will lead to years of misery. My problem, had it been correctly diagnosed early, would have been relatively easy to fix. Because I didn't start with treatment until I was in my 30s, I ended up having surgery. They are much better now, but the damage done to the articular cartilage is permanent.

Moral of the story--don't ignore knee pain!
Maribeth

I started doing step again after a one-year break and found that my right knee started hurting after each workout. I went to see a Sports Medicine Doctor and this is what he told me:

1. I've got flat feet and orthotics would help align my feet through to my hips properly (50% difference) I don't have the $ for orthotics ( no medical plan) but I got a pair of Motion Control running shoes that I wear all the time except to sleep and shower! They correct the pronation caused by my flat feet.

2. Misalignment in the muscles i.e. some stronger than others and physiotherapy would help (exercises to correct the weaker muscles and stretching and massage to release the stronger/tighter muscles) (30% difference)

3. Cross-train. Do activities that don't have as much side-to-side movement and weight-bearing on knees. i.e. aerobic rider or elliptical trainer. (15% difference)

The numbers don't add up but I guess that's because there's a chance nothing will work for certain individuals.

In the short-term, ibuprofen helps the swelling and icing as well. I've also been massaging the muscles above and below using Arnica Gel. I was amazed at how sore my shin was without even realizing it! Try doing a Google search on knee injuries and you'll come up with a ton of stuff. My particular issue is called Runner's Knee or Patella-Femoral Syndrome. There are a number types of knee problems and it is probably best to get it diagnosed by a doctor first.

I have been stuck not knowing how to work out without making my knee worse. I've tried MIS and that irritated it. I've tried walking, rollerblading, the elliptical trainer, gym bicycle and I didn't fare any better. I'm now just resting it now. It's pretty depressing but better now than having to deal with a major problem later.

Hélène

I have sometimes felt that there isn't enough stretching after Cathe's cardio for my knees. Now, I know in most of the weight workouts there's lots, but in the step routines for instance there is rarely a good quad stretch at the end, although she does pay really great attention to the hip flexors. My knees often ache when my quads are too tight. I also find I have to stretch my hamstrings a little extra after my Cahe workouts or else my lower back aches.

Christine

I use a 10"step for some Firm videos, but they are very different from Cathe's videos: slower paced, very linear moves with little change of direction. I used to do Cathe tapes on 8", but my knees like 6" much better. Not only is there more impact in Cathe videos, but I notice some videos have quick change of direction (from straight ahead to 45-degree angle out) and that is risky for my knees.

In the Open Discussion Conference, there is a topic called "Muscularity -- Long Post" by Maribeth that has some excellent ideas that may help you understand in part why your knees are hurting and what you may be able to do to help the situation.

Good Luck!
Hélène

Like Helene, I have flat feet and I found orthotics for $30.00. They are called Superfeet and the company makes a few different shapes. The one I chose for flat feet are the green ones (they're color-coded) and they are probably available on the internet.

My ache was in my right hip more than the knees. I do ride a bicycle at least 2xweek and I had heard that bike riding strengthens a particular muscle that supports knee alignment, more than most other activities.

My hip aches have really diminished greatly since I added the orthotics. If I had custom made ones, I wonder if it would go away completely?

I learned about this from a couple of books: Peak Performance Fitness by Jennifer Rhodes and Health and Fitness in Plain English by Jolie Bookspan.

As soon as it's available, I will buy Maribeth's book. I think it will be even better than those two. (Maribeth is writing a book)

Best of luck solving your knee pain. I think you will be able to find out how to solve it and be able to strengthen the rest of your body with the help of pain-free knees! Don't give up! By the way, I am 43 too.
-Connie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.