knee replacement?

Wow sobering to think about. I think a lot of people just let PT slide, like my SIL. Her mother (my MIL) had 3 hip replacements. she had the surgery, went home. never 1 minute of PT. like mother, like daughter. everyone was "out to get their money". she never could walk very well, no big surprise. that was 20 + years ago. I think you get out of something what you put into it.
I have a good friend who had hip replacement a yr ago and describes a process similar to what you are saying about knee PT. She did very well and at a little more than a year she doesn't even think about it much anymore. Good luck to you ... wishing continued progress.

Valerie, I know people who sailed out of hip replacements with very little if any PT, but TKR really needs the work. If herMIL needed corrective surgery on a hip replacement, that is a whole different story. I have a friend with two TKR and two hip replacements (we call her the bionic woman!), but she has had 3 very painful hip dislocations, and after endless (4) second opinions, she will be doing corrective surgery and is supposed to do no weight-bearing for 4-6 weeks, because (I am out of my depth here) the new replacement must adhere to soft bone for the corrective surgery to work. She is finally going forward with the surgery but at least her surgeon looks like Jon Hamm (nothing wrong with that! and he is not a prima donna, a problem with some orthopedic surgeons who would not answer all of her questions). I am doing well but TKR really turns you around. Cathe is a long way off.

Lynda I don't know a huge amount about either joint replacement procedure. people who do well seem to do at least some PT after. myriad possible issues and benefits, not the same for everyone. surgeons usually don't address this stuff but turf if off to PT.

body mechanics play a big role. if the joint has been deteriorating over a long time or an injury or abnormality, it affects everything uphill and downhill from it. so if you walk "funny" because your hip or knee hurts, then without some PT, chances are you will continue to walk "funny" in the much same way after the surgery unless you're aware of what you're doing/not doing, and your gait is corrected or proper muscles reengaged with therapy. I had a knee issue 2 years ago and stopped engaging hams and glutes on one side and had PT to re-teach me what I was unconsciously doing wrong. it was pulling my kneecap off track. and that is NOTHING compared to a joint replacement.
My SIL walked the same way after replacement as she did before. she's had a lot of problems and will eventually need a re-do. meanwhile the awkward gait is wearing down the other knee. I think she at least went back to the surgeon for a post op check. My MIL ( her mother) with the hips did not even do that! maybe if her surgeon or PT looked like Jon Hamm there would have been better outcomes... she was a lovely, caring woman but wouldn't do unpleasant things that needed to be done.

Can you visualize doing less intense and less impact things on machines where ROM is more controlled? treadmills, ellipticals, spin bikes control ROM pretty well and footing is stable. barre? Upper body workouts too. My knees still work OK but I won't do high impact anymore. If you are reading the other thread you know I just had a small surgical procedure on a leg. I'm on machines right now for that reason. I don't want to pop two deep stitches so I have 2 weeks of forced lesser activity.

Keep us updated on your progress. we can be the cheering section.

Valerie, you are right about gait. My left knee just kept turning inward, so I was very knock kneed and my leg was never completely straight. As a result, the muscles on my outside thigh and knee must now lengthen to accommodate my very straight knee. PT is essential here and I really feel it. My doctor showed me before and after x-rays and they are pretty incredible. He really didn't know how I managed for so long--probably somehow shifting more weight on to my right knee. I did read about your surgery. I had to keep my incision as dry as possible before sutures came out, and no washing or soaping in the shower. Very different from your routine. Now I just have a ladder of steri-strips that are gradually falling off--no bandage. I'm really not worried about vigorous exercise yet--i work up a sweat in PT, have a lot of tortuous stretching to do, and more and more walking and step-ups. That really is too bad about your SIL, but maybe 20 years ago they were not so adamant about PT, because they sure are now--they had me walking the next day in the hospital and my surgeon warned me to commit myself to rehab and to expect some pain. I'm sure you will do great with your surgery because you are so conscientious.

I got the 'all clear" call this morning from pathology on the tissue borders. I wasn't expecting bad news but still a relief. this incision treatment is different for me too. it is supposed to reduce scars. I keep it moist and don't let it dry and crust over. It looks pretty good considering I'm not even a week out. I started working out yesterday, very carefully.

It was my MIL 20 + yrs ago with the 3 hip replacements. two on one side, one on the other, not 3 on the same side. She was a sweet lady but for whatever reasons, would not follow directions. My FIL was incredibly cheap about some things. I think he didn't want her to spend any money on therapy and leaned on her to skip it.

My SIL is about 5 years out on her knee replacement. my husband ( her brother, the MD ) tried to talk sense into her but neither mother or daughter ever did what they should have done. it ended up in poor outcomes for both when it didn't have to.

Are you marking your workouts and achievements on a calendar so you can remind yourself of your progress? I love to see the spaces fill up with whatever I've done.

No, I keep a journal, but it is notably free of statistics--no steps or calories counted, heart rate, 1 rep max, spread sheets of my dvds--not me. I did have to keep track of all the drugs I was taking and found that really boriing--2 weeks of 2 325 mg. Aspirin per day, then 1 week 1 aspirin per day (blood clot prevention), 1000 mg Tylenol every 4 hours alternating with 5 mg of oxycodone to "keep ahead of the pain" and colace morning and night to prevent opioid constipation. Drove me crazy! I am happily drug free except for the Tylenol occasionally when I feel achy. I even found myself irritably balking at the preparatory instructions--lots of showers followed by antiseptic cloths, changes in bedding. I was a very reluctant patient to begin with. It took me forever to do what is an elective surgery and when the pain hit after the nerve block was over, I truly wondered what I had elected. I did weigh myself the other day--nothing like losing your appetite for a couple weeks for losing weight.

I was thinking more of things like "last day with walker", "last day with cane", first day doing stairs alternating legs, that sort of thing. so you can see an upward slope of accomplishments. 15 min on bike, 25 min on bike... whatever feels positive that you can look back on and see an upward trajectory, even if it's not as steep as you would like
Nobody wants to do "elective things". you put them off because they are "elective." sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, even if it's very unpleasant.

ETA. Have you been to that restaurant you liked so much? I don’t remember the name but it sounded very special. You don’t want to lose too much weight. Have dessert too

Last edited:
I wish progress were that magically forward moving, Valerie. But the scar tissue contracts over night and I wake up stiff and in need of some serious stretching. Today at PT I did squats on a balance board (it tips back and forth unless you can hold it steady)while barely touching a barre and that was a new experience (I actually think I could not have done these with my old knee) and followed with 10 one-legged squats on my new knee. I did put that in my journal because I really think my balance is changing and my core is working. Before the surgery we went out with friends and we had a mini vacation in San Diego for a wedding where I did some serious dancing. I am starting to do some cooking again, but standing for long periods is hard. DH is so wonderful. I get room service every morning for breakfast because he is out early and I am trying to get some good sleep, which has been very difficult and I am told not uncommon--very restless and achy. I seem to get about two hours of decent sleep from 5-7, and I wake up to breakfast on a tray and a thermos of coffee.

It sounds like you are doing great with your surgery and back to your hiking and biking adventures soon. Go ahead and rant about health insurance. Congress is totally dysfunctional.

I don't think I could do a one legged squat on a balance board or any other place, so that sounds pretty impressive. Have they had you use a foam roller? you can do some deep tissue massage yourself. I didn't enjoy the sensation all that much but I used it as instructed. they are not expensive... $20 or so. If PT recommends... it might be worth a try to loosen things up.
Your husband sounds like a lovely man. Can't complain about breakfast in bed.

My surgery was really minor on the big scale of things. however if the stitches got pulled out, it can't be "re-stitched" back together. there is no way to keep sterile. it would need to heal "open", from the bottom up. so I had reason to be cautious but did not have to do nothing for two weeks either.

DH finally wrestled thru the health insurance business and decided on a plan. the only thing available is really catastrophic coverage. deductible is about $7000 and premium is $750 a month. so unless you have a bad year, almost all is out-of-pocket. DH has another 2 yrs before medicare coverage. We had high hopes for the ACA getting the kinks worked out over time and getting the country on the path of universal coverage. guess that won't happen any time soon. I am reaching the point where I limit my exposure to whatever antics, lies, and BS spew forth daily from the WH.

Yesterday I started driving--yay! I really do need to get to my office for some endnote corrections on an article that I edited, screwing up the notes. My therapist has not recommended a foam roller, but he does want me to put my heel on a rolled up towel, leg elevated and foot flexed and press down for as long as possible. Also lean forward on my good knee 3 steps up, left knee extended backward and push pelvis into the stretch. I do these 4 sets of 30 everyday and they really loosen up the back of my knee. Yesterday I did little football runs, zigzagging through cones and some jogging on a trampoline. Hmm--maybe I will have to get a jump sport.

Is that catastrophic insurance thanks to Rand Paul--I.e., when he persuaded drumpf to sign that little amendment? There should be a single payer public option for people who are not covered by their employers IMO. I can't stand listening to drumpf either--he just lies all the time and he is a bully.

Yeah Driving!!!! That is awesome to have that freedom again. I love my trampoline! My husband broke his ankle a couple of years ago and he has been rebounding off and on and has noticed strength gains in his bad ankle. He does really gentle bounces. He started off with only a few minutes at a time and worked his way to 15 mins and this is enough for him. Sounds like you are really moving along nicely! Great news!

Congratulations on getting back in the drivers seat!
we were talking about jump sports on the other thread. there was one on sale at Costco online a short time ago. I don't remember the dates. it was a good price.

I used the foam roller to massage mainly the hamstring area . I was not sure what benefit it was, but therapist recommended so I bought one and did it for several months. I didn't like the sensation so I would not bother unless PT supports the idea.

the SIL with the failing knee is coming to visit for two days next week. Haven't seen her in a year and a half. will be interesting to see how she is walking these days. I will keep in mind all the work you are doing to get to functional status. .

Ugh... there are so many political issues I can't keep up. lurching from one disaster to the next.... there is barely time for anyone to react before a new self generated crisis comes up. I am learning I can't get enraged at everything that's wrong or I can't sleep at night.

Last edited:
Hi Valerie and Lori--

I am now past the 5 week mark and doing some lunges with 5 lb. weights and little zig zag runs through cones and lots of squats on the balance board. Walking without a cane in 20 minute intervals. What really bothers me is just standing for more than 30 minutes at a time. I do this when cooking and it really starts to hurt. On the other hand, I really like cooking and DH does all the shopping for me now, plus he still brings down a breakfast tray for me every morning--nice to wake up to!

Valerie, I will be interested to hear how your SIL is doing with no PT. I still can't believe her surgeon was not on her case insisting on rehab. I feel a little better after seeing the election results on Tuesday. I went to the women's march back in January and apparently women really were crucial in the Virginia election. Yay!

I am with both of you on bringing out the good China, silver, and crystal for Thanksgiving. It makes everything more special. I will be doing Ina's pumpkin roulade, a really good sweet potato dish, and my creamy mashed potatoes. Others are doing turkey, dressing, veggies, etc. prosecco, a good Pinot noir, and a gewurtztramminer for wine selections. Some guests like a bit of cassis in their prosecco too.

they just left this morning and I didn't get a lot more information except she has an appt for another surgeon to look at her other knee next Monday.
she is a very bad historian about what happened or didn't happen, and the story gets distorted over time. she is nothing like her brother. I know for sure she did not do much PT. she doesn't speak nicely about the previous surgeon. we will see what happens with upcoming evaluation. I know for sure she did nothing like you're doing. I'm sure she had a few PT sessions immediately after surgery but complained about them "after her money" and stopped going. She tends to hear what she wants to hear and I will listen more closely if she decides to go ahead with the other knee.
she walks on a treadmill most mornings but she is quite overweight and walks "funny". I remember her doing her 'therapy". it was standing with her leg on the stairs and bending up and down a little. supposedly she was told not to ride a bicycle. sounds like she made that part up because SHE doesn't want to ride a bike, even though we gave them our old bike. I think she is 4-5 years out now, and complains about the other knee being 'bone on bone". she is a nightmare of a patient. she is not walking any better or worse than before.

Lynda you will have a 100x better outcome because you are doing the work. I hope you become able to stand longer soon. Kneeling is something SIL complains about.
I also was uplifted by election results. I hope damage to all areas will be limited by a shift in the 2018 elections. Can't undo all the bad things T is doing but that will maybe slow it down. I wish I could slap all the people who could not bring themselves to vote for Hillary because they "didn't like her". I will quote a favorite observation from Bill Maher... "they could not tell the difference between an imperfect friend, and a deadly enemy". Wonderful you were able to go to the womens' march.

In reading your posts here about the first month after knee replacement, I am wondering ...how is it now ?
You gave some great details and I am wondering how did you make the progression from PT to Cathe ?
Any specific Cathe DVDs that you felt were good to start back with first ?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.