Knee Injury ?

Autumn68

Cathlete
I went to the dr for my knee and he said I might have torn cartilage :(:(:(:( . Due to financial difficulties, I can't afford the MRI right now, and can't stop working out, so I'm puting an ace bandage on and doing what I can, taking it easier on the right knee. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had this and what they had to do, and what is the recovery time and what exercises did you do to recover? Once I find a job, I'll be able to take care of it, but would like to know what to expect.
Thanks - autumn

Depends on what is torn. I had a meniscus tear and waited a year to see if it would heal. It did not and I had to have surgery.

You would have to stop all weight bearing exercises on the knee and do only band work to help strengthen the quads.

I had a $3k deductable and I paid $700 for a MRI that did not show anything wrong with the knee except arthritis. So I waited a year and was in such pain I paid the $3k and went into surgery not knowing if I was wasting the $3k or not. But they found a tear and a floating bone fragment from the arthritis. It's now taken 2 years after the surgery and the knee is starting to feel stronger. But I'm old......

Good luck.

thanks for your input

Depends on what is torn. I had a meniscus tear and waited a year to see if it would heal. It did not and I had to have surgery.

You would have to stop all weight bearing exercises on the knee and do only band work to help strengthen the quads.

I had a $3k deductable and I paid $700 for a MRI that did not show anything wrong with the knee except arthritis. So I waited a year and was in such pain I paid the $3k and went into surgery not knowing if I was wasting the $3k or not. But they found a tear and a floating bone fragment from the arthritis. It's now taken 2 years after the surgery and the knee is starting to feel stronger. But I'm old......

Good luck.

I'm no spring chicken (41) but I don't want to have surgery - but might have to. I can't believe they didn't see anything on your MRI. You must have been in so much pain with a bone fragment, wow.
For me, they took an xray and said it's not arthritis, and it's not a bone fracture and he thought b/c of where it was and how it feels, that it is probably torn cartilage. I don't know the name of the spot. I really can't do a full pigeon pose with the right leg bent, I have to stay upright, but with the left side, I can go all the way down. Bending it in stretch moves is where the big problem is. It's on in inside of the right knee. When I get a job, I'll be able to pay for the MRI. :mad: It's so frustrating - this economy is killing me. - autumn

Autumn, I understand your position.

That said, be careful! I agree. You need to stop all weight-bearing work for your legs for now. If you have access to a pool at all, you could do some work in the water, but I still think it would be better to just give the lower body a rest for a good while. You don't want to aggravate a knee injury! It could end up worse than it is now and you'd have no option, but to have surgery. It could end up more expensive and with a longer recovery!

Please take care of that knee!

Autumn, I understand your position.

That said, be careful! I agree. You need to stop all weight-bearing work for your legs for now. If you have access to a pool at all, you could do some work in the water, but I still think it would be better to just give the lower body a rest for a good while. You don't want to aggravate a knee injury! It could end up worse than it is now and you'd have no option, but to have surgery. It could end up more expensive and with a longer recovery!

Please take care of that knee!

Thanks for the advise Tricia. I really hate to stop leg barring exercise when I'm making progress, but your right I do have to be real careful. I don't want to make it worse. Cardio itself uses your legs, and I can't stop that. I just try not to do too much jumping. Anyway, I wish I had access to a pool, my dad is retiring and relocating to our area. He will have a condo w/ a pool :D so I'll be sure to use it. He wont be here until spring/summer (when his place sells) - so for now I don't have a pool. :(
autumn
autumn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.