Knee bruises from carpet?

GrettaB

Cathlete
I've very recently changed from working out on hardwood flooring to carpeting and am experiencing some bruising around my knees along with intermittent discomfort post-workout. I'm concerned that my knee stability will be compromised because the carpet abruptly stops my movement, whereas on the hardwood I could slide just a little.

I bought some Ryka minimalist shoes in hopes that the thinner sole would reduce some of the friction, but they haven't arrived yet; my current shoes are lightweight but heavily cushioned (like a quadruple yoga mat on my soles).

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I welcome your thoughts and suggestions! I really don't want to injure my knees :(

I workout on carpet, but I'm not having this particular problem. But thought I'd pass along some of the things I do because I work out on carpet.

I don't do any pivot turning type moves on carpet(i.e. pivot turns in step workouts). My foot catches on the carpet and it's uncomfortable.

There are some moves that require you to twist your body a bit(like a side swing)...when I do these I make sure to lift my foot off the carpet a bit so I'm not straining my knee. Sort of like coming up on my tip toes to relieve the pressure off my knee.

Not sure if that will help your situation, but thought I put my 2 cents in. Hope your knees get better!!

I've very recently changed from working out on hardwood flooring to carpeting and am experiencing some bruising around my knees along with intermittent discomfort post-workout. I'm concerned that my knee stability will be compromised because the carpet abruptly stops my movement, whereas on the hardwood I could slide just a little.

I bought some Ryka minimalist shoes in hopes that the thinner sole would reduce some of the friction, but they haven't arrived yet; my current shoes are lightweight but heavily cushioned (like a quadruple yoga mat on my soles).

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I welcome your thoughts and suggestions! I really don't want to injure my knees :(

I work out on both and I prefer the wood floor. When I workout on the carpet, I do have some issues with my knees but I think because the carpet and pad make it less stable than a wooden floor. I don't notice it as much with cardio as I do with weights like lunges. I feel less stable. As for the bruises, mine is almost more like rug burn. I have marks on knees for a while after working out because of the carpet. So I will usually still use my mate for certain things like lower body work that requires me to be on all fours for a while. I'm not sure if the shoe will help but how thick is your carpet? I was told that if I wanted to keep carpet, I should update it so it's not as thick? I hope that makes sense. Best of luck.

Thanks for the responses! I got a pair of minimalist Rykas and can already tell a difference, less friction, more comfortable turns, and no more bruises. Now my biggest concern is limiting the noise I make so my new downstairs neighbors don't hate me :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.