Kimberly Spreen's Absolute Kickbox

stayfit1

Cathlete
Greeting Everybody

I have been putting off purchasing Absolute Kickbox, because I don't have a body bar. There are three different weights of the Body Bars;
8lb, 12lb & 18 lb. Which of these weights would be best for this video?

TIA

Dianne

I borrowed this workout from a friend and absolutely love it! In the workout Kimberly says she does not recommend more than 9lbs. Of course I missed that the first time through and purchased a 12lb bodybar. I can manage with the 12lb body bar but it is tough for me. I think my form would be better with an 8 or 9lb body bar.

I hope you like the workout as much as I do:)

Diana

I actually just did this workout for the first time today. I did not have the body bar weight she suggested so I just used my bar from my barbell set with no weights on it. I am glad that I only used that today for my first time through...I could definitely go up in weight to an eight pound bar...but I was not looking for an upper body workout today...just cardio...which you can definitely get without using weighted bar. So, I guess it depends on what you want to get out of this workout.

Just need to add, that I really enjoyed the dvd. I felt like it was cued well and I liked her personality.

Good luck!

Debra

we do not remember days....
we remember moments
--Cesare Pavese

http://www.picturetrail.com/aschendell
0101_10009001662.gif

All I have is an 18 lb. body bar, and I actually tried to use it the first time I did this workout. No way did that work. I agree--go with the 8-9 lb. bar. I plan to use the unloaded barbell only because I don't want to buy another piece of equipment that I'll only use for one particular workout.

~Cathy http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/4.gif

"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." -George Sheehan

I'd definitely go with an 8 or 9 lb. bodybar, no heavier. I first tried my 12 lb. barbell and it was a big mistake. I'd also use caution if you end up useing a barbell as I found it to be way to long for the drills in Absolute Kickbox. I think you'll have more control with a shorter bar (such as a body bar).

Shelbygirl

I love, love, love this workout and I use a 9 lb. bodybar. I would go with the 8 or 9 lb. bodybar if I were you. The music is very motivating in this one and the choreography flows well. This is one of my favorite workouts! Enjoy!
Angela:7

Hi Dianne. I would definetly go with an 8lb or 9lb Body Bar. I have this workout and at first I tried it with my barbell (no weights of course). It weighs 13lbs and it was too heavy. My form was horrible.

I am actually doing it with a paint roller extender until I get a light Body Bar!! It's the perfect length but way too light. It has helped work on my form and make the moves as sharp as I can. I still feel it the next day.

It's a great workout!

Just did this today for probably the 5th time. I completely agree with others about using the 9 lb. bar, which is what I have. Even if your shoulders could handle more, there is so much twisting and torque that I worry I would hurt my back with something heavier. I leave the shoulder work to the punching and other weight work.

Thanks for the post. This sounds like a great workout. Is the cardio intense enough to keep your heartrate up? I'm a little worried about the inter/advanced rating on Collage, but the reviews are great. Which Cathe workout is closest in intensity? I wouldn't mind buying a body-bar if the workout is worth it.

Does anyone have suggestions for other Kickboxing workouts?

Thanks,

Carol F

Another idea: I've done this with a dowel while wearing 2# weighted gloves. Worked very well. I made up for the light weight by making by moves sharp (as if I were really striking someone).

i plan on getting this for xmas. is the w/o just kick box like powerstrike or sweatfest or does it also include high/lo like in kpc?

laura

Hi Guys :)

What about Kimberly Spreen, Kickbox Bootcamp I found it on DeepDiscount for $10.98. The price is right, what about the workout is it a goodie. Thank you!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.