Kickbox cardio

tsut

Cathlete
Does anyone else feel crippled in the upper back after doing this workout? I did this workout on Friday, and I still have major DOMS in my upper back today. I love this workout. Obviously it's a good workout for the upper back. }(

When I first started doing kix, yes! I felt it! I felt it more in my lats, shoulders, hammies, shoulders, and bicep area. To feel it less in your upper back, concentrate on relaxing (is that an oxymoron or what?) your shoulders when you punch. This promotes good form and posture and reduces risk of injury.
Okay, I am off of my soapbox now ;)
But, I do LOVE doms, don't you?

Missy

I used to get like that after not doing it for a long time, but now I make sure I include one Kickbox in my aerobics each week and this seems to keep your body acclimated to the punching and I don't get that sore any longer.

"To feel it less in you back....."

This seems rather odd. You suggest it is perhaps not right to feel it in your back after kickbox. The opposite is true. The power for the punches come from the back muscles, not just from the arm alone. Just as for running, the power comes from the glutes, not from the quads and hams alone. If you stand stock still, no body movement at all, you could isolate just the arms, but your punches would seriously lack power and you would not demonstrate correct form. Look at Cathe: she shoves her body into the punch.

It is perfectly normal to feel DOMS in the lats and core and shoulder after kickbox because these are your power house. Yes, you will feel DOMS less the more kickbox you do simply because your muscles become more acclimated to the movement.

Clare

If you reread my post, you will see that I said I DO feel it in my lats, and you should. I just offered a suggestion to feel it less in your UPPER back, which WOULD suggest that you are using more arm punches than body punches. When you tense your shoulders during punches, you will feel sore in your upper back, and you have an increase for neck and shoulder injuries. That is all I said. And anyways, your power comes from your hip rotation, not your back.

Aha, OK. But: you punch with your hips? Sure, hip rotation is needed in there but power for punches does not come from the hip itself. The turning of the hips allows you to use core and back strength to power your punches.

I am sure your assessment of possible injuries is entirely accurate.

I am not here to nit-pick you personally, just clarify what seemed to me to be obscure about your original post.

Clare

Okay, I am sorry. I admit I did feel attacked. Probably because I couldn't hear the sound of your voice. One of the things I do dislike about writing is that you don't know the tone of the post, but I hope all is well none the less!

Missy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.