Kettlebells - where to start?

EricaH

Cathlete
I'm sorry to start a new thread about kettlebells, but I'm interested in getting Kettlebells and DVDs and am overwhelmed by the info on the forum.

What size kettlebells would I need to start with? I lift heavy with traditional strength workouts.

What are "must have" DVDs?

Where do I get everything?

Do most people get some kind of instruction before doing kettlebells at home?

Thanks!!

Erica

Quick suggestion

Erica,
Check out www.artofstrength.com for info about kettlebells. The website has lots of clips and written information that may help you get started on your kettlebell journey.

Personally, I started with The Kettlebell Way Vol. I and a 15-lb. GoFit KB that I bought at Target. Watch the tutorial first (several times through) and make sure that you are comfortable with the moves. It's easy to get hurt when you do the exercises wrong.

Also search through recent threads (if they're not too overwhelming).

Good luck!

No matter what size bell you start with, it will be too heavy for some moves (like TGU's--but you can start those with a light dumbell) and will soon feel too light for swings and deadlifts (but you can do longer sets of those).

Like the other Kathryn ;), I started with the 15# GoFit KB (partly because it was purty! LOL!). That was good for a start.

Even though you lift heavy with regular weights, KB moves are often very different, and require more total body integration, and use of stabilizers that aren't necessarily worked in isolation exercises.

It's often recommended that most women start with 18#, and strong women with 26# (but that's also based on the metric weights of some bells).

For training, setting up a session with an RKC (certified KB instructor) is best. But there are some good tutorials available. Lisa Shaffer http://nofearfitness.com/ has an excellent DVD and workbook (but the arm bands get very damp with sweat and I wouldn't recommend them).
She also has some free downloads. Somewhere online (but not on her site that I can see), she has a free 5-page-ish article that gives a basic several-weeks program (which is taken pretty much from her manual). I'm not sure where it's at, but maybe someone else knows.

GoFIt KB's all come with a free tutorial DVD with the basic moves (but Sara Lurie is nasty! ;) She shows TGU's as the first exercise!)

HTH!

You have already received some great recommendations but thought I would pass along a website where you can search out an instructor in your area.

www.dragondoor.com

I found Andrea DuCane (master RKC instructor & kettlebell goddess dvd) giving lessons within 20 minutes from my home. I think getting in a few training sessions is a good idea (if available nearby) as proper form is crucial.

I started with a 8kg (17.6lbs) and 12kg (26.4lbs). I bought my KB's at North Star Home Fitness which just got in new Spri KB that were really nice. I didn't want to order online because the handles vary so much and the handle fit is important. Plus shipping is high.

As for dvd's, I only have Lauren Brooks which I think is a good starter. I just ordered AOS Providence which has been highly recommended here. I hope to get AOS Newport too.

Good luck!! KB's are a lot of fun:D

JJ

Hi, Kathryn. I'm fairly new to KBs, and I only have the Sarah Lurie DVDs at present, but I wanted to ask you, can YOU do TGUs? I just do the workout section on the Sarah Lurie DVD, and in that workout, they don't do the TGUs. Then I bought (don't laugh) the Firm 5 lb. KB workout; for that, I use my 10 lb. KB. But I found I can't do the TGUs even without holding a KB! And I've been working out for years, plus I'm not overweight or bottom heavy. Why do you think that is?

Hi, Kathryn. I'm fairly new to KBs, and I only have the Sarah Lurie DVDs at present, but I wanted to ask you, can YOU do TGUs? I just do the workout section on the Sarah Lurie DVD, and in that workout, they don't do the TGUs. Then I bought (don't laugh) the Firm 5 lb. KB workout; for that, I use my 10 lb. KB. But I found I can't do the TGUs even without holding a KB! And I've been working out for years, plus I'm not overweight or bottom heavy. Why do you think that is?

I can do them (but I don't like to, and don't do them often) When I do, I use a light bell (a 7# GoFit, the last time I did them). I did a Sarah Lurie workout a couple of weeks ago that has them in (as the first exercise!) and I was able to keep up, though maybe not as gracefully as they did them).

When I first started them, I had a heck of a time getting beyond the kneeling lunge position to standing. I don't know when they finally clicked, or how, or why I can do them now (magic? LOL). Maybe it's because I'd been doing KB squats (@$$-to-the-grass style) for a while between tries?)

There are a lot of things going on in TGUs, any of which might be the week link, from holding the arm in overhead extention all the way through, to getting into postion, to pushing up from a deep lunge. (It's because of all that is involved, and the complete, total-body aspect of the move, that it's so beneficial...and that I'm trying to get myself to do them more.)

Some things to try:

Anthony Diluglio breaks them down in some videos on his site, starting with a get-up sit-up, and adding different parts of the move little by little.

Try doing them from the top down.

Go SLOWY on these, they are a grind move, not an endurance move.

Keep your eye on your hand at all times (in your peripheral vision, not head cranked back too far) and always think about moving up.

Different instructors do the move a bit differently, and one way of doing it might be easier for you than others (some even go into a squat rather than lunge position). Search "Turkish Get-Up" on www.youtube.com and you'll probably find some videos on them, and maybe Anthony's or another instructor's break-down of them.

Also, do it more as an "any-which-way-you-can" move (but keeping the bell/arm overhead, instead of thinking of the precise moves you are doing. I found that if I thought about it too much--trying to move my leg into position the exact same way X instructor did, it was a bit of an obstacle.

(I have the Firm KB workout, too, and use my 7# and 15# KB for it, depending on the move. I don't consider it a real KB workout, but I like Kelsie and I think it's interesting and fun).

HTH!

Kathryn,

Many thanks for your helpful and informative response! Now I don't feel like such a loser not being able to do TGUs! I'm checking out Anthony's site now.

Have a healthy, fit new year and a most Merry Christmas!

Susanne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.