Kettlebell advice, please

jennifur

Cathlete
I just purchased the Skogg kettlebell DVD set. I will begin with the instructional segment to get the 6 moves down. I have a very light (8 lb) kettlebell to practice with. I am pretty strong but want to be extra careful not to hurt myself while I'm learning. What is a reasonable recommendation weight -wise once I master these moves? I don't want to go too light, but I also dont want to overestimate. I've seen sets that go from 5-25. i dont think I'd ever have use for 5 and think I'd probably need a bit more than 25 for some things.What's a good starting point? Should I just buy as I go? Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have kettlebells that range in size from 10# to 53#. You will be able to go heavier with swings than you will with over the head movements. I use 44# or 53# for swings. For presses or overhead movements I used either 18# or 25# depending on number of reps or if I'm using 2 kettlebells. For things like 1-arm sit ups, windmills I will use 18# or maybe 14#.

I don't think you will need a 5# or 10# bell. I would start at least 20 or 25# and move up from there. The shape of the kettlebell is very different from dumbbells because of the weight distribution so you will have to gauge what works for you once you start using them.

I hope this helps.

Should I just buy as I go? Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thats what I'm doing. I have a light pair of KBs and I do it (actually started because of Jane:) ) for a different kind of cardio, not so much as my strength training. I just find them to be a lot of fun. :D

Thanks for the advice ladies! Jane, that is kind of what I thought. Since kettlebells are so pricey I want to make sure I choose carefully, but I know I'll probably need a few different sizes. Do you recommend one particular brand over another?

Thanks for the advice ladies! Jane, that is kind of what I thought. Since kettlebells are so pricey I want to make sure I choose carefully, but I know I'll probably need a few different sizes. Do you recommend one particular brand over another?

I have 3 different brands of kettlebells but my favorites are Dragon Door or Perform Better (First Place Kettlebells). The Dragon Door bells can be pricey but I like the handles the best.

If you have a used sporting equipment store by you (like Play It Again Sports) you might want to see what they have first. If they have different brands you can try them out even if they don't have the weight that you want.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.