Kathryn

I'm back, but don't know for how long.
This has been the longest time I've gone without visiting the forums (here and VF).
I've just had a really busy few months. Planning a fundraiser run/walk for my local animal shelter is taking up a lot of time (I proposed the idea, so ended up being committee chair and main organizer).

Also, lots of "when it rains, it pours" moments, with bad things happening one after the other.

Three weeks ago, my cat Bobsie was diagnosed with chronic renal failure (it came on fast), spent a few days at the vets in hopes of it helping to have intravenous fluids (instead, she had a crisis when I was there because she had too much fluid, started yeowling, then fell over.) When she got home from the vet on a Friday, she wasn't the same: had a good day on Saturday, enjoying sitting in the sun by the window, but really went downhill fast. Monday, I'd planned to talk to the vet about different food (she wouldn't eat) and some kind of stomach acid meds, but ended up taking her in for euthanasia instead.

Now I have three boys, and missing my little girl (she was Pete's best pal, and a good friend to Simon...Rascal didn't like her much).

Kathryn, I'm so sorry for your loss. I recently had to put down my 11 year old boxer and I know the pain you are feeling when you love your pet so much. Like you, we watched in dismay as Oscar went downhill fast. One day he was fine and just three days later we were at the vet saying goodbye. Our other dog, Maggie, was noticeably sad for quite awhile afterwards but seemed to bounce back much faster than DH and myself. Take comfort in your baby boys and know that many of us are thinking of you.

Kathryn & Julie, I'm very sorry for your losses! They do have a way of getting into our hearts! I'm still missing my old heeler who died June 2010:(
Big HUGS to you both:)
Cathy

So sorry to hear about your kitty. We went through that with our kitty, Merlin. He made it through a bladder infection and being all stopped up when he was 4 or 5, but had it again when he was 10 or so, and poor kitty went downhill fast. We had to put him to sleep. That was about a year and half ago. He was kind of a grumpy kitty, but we loved him and he loved us.

HUGS to you!

Nan

Three weeks ago, my cat Bobsie was diagnosed with chronic renal failure (it came on fast), spent a few days at the vets in hopes of it helping to have intravenous fluids (instead, she had a crisis when I was there because she had too much fluid, started yeowling, then fell over.) When she got home from the vet on a Friday, she wasn't the same: had a good day on Saturday, enjoying sitting in the sun by the window, but really went downhill fast. Monday, I'd planned to talk to the vet about different food (she wouldn't eat) and some kind of stomach acid meds, but ended up taking her in for euthanasia instead.

Now I have three boys, and missing my little girl (she was Pete's best pal, and a good friend to Simon...Rascal didn't like her much).

sorry to hear about your kitty Kathryn. weird, my 17 year old boy kidneys went last week and he died Monday night. I'm still crying every time I think of him. it's so hard to say goodbye to our babies. Be kind to yourself and your other kitties. :)

Julie, Nan, Nightowl: so sorry to hear about the loss of your furry kids.
I think it's hardest to have to make the decision of euthanasia (when I was a kid, all our cats seemed to go 'on their own'---they were old and wobbly, but didn't seem to be in pain. I've only had one so far on my own (Scooter) who went that way, and I've had to make "the decision" on all the others. It always seems either 'too late' or 'too soon'.

Nan, I think I remember Merlin; was he your avatar photo for a while? A handsome black cat?

Julie, Nan, Nightowl: so sorry to hear about the loss of your furry kids.
I think it's hardest to have to make the decision of euthanasia (when I was a kid, all our cats seemed to go 'on their own'---they were old and wobbly, but didn't seem to be in pain. I've only had one so far on my own (Scooter) who went that way, and I've had to make "the decision" on all the others. It always seems either 'too late' or 'too soon'.

Nan, I think I remember Merlin; was he your avatar photo for a while? A handsome black cat?

Yup,he was the black one. Now we've got 2 girls. A tiger stripe and her sister who is white with tiger patches. And Vlad, my big oaf of an overgrown lap dog. :p

Nan

My condolences to all of you who have lost your beloved pets...they bring us such joy and it's such a heartbreak when they are gone.

Oh my gosh, ((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))) to all of you who have lost their furry ones! I know how utterly devestating it is to lose your furry kids!

Pam

kathryn--I am so sorry for your loss. I know what you mean by the difference between making the decision and having nature take its course. It is so much more difficult, and I am truly sorry. Hugs to you.

We have missed you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.