Just when you thought you couldn't have a higher opinion of Chesley Sullenberger

dss62467

Cathlete
Did you see the interviews with him and his crew? What an amazingly classy man. I just watched a snippet of it on last night's Countdown podcast. They showed his wife reading a a letter someone had sent thanking him for his skill and not hitting any of the buildings, and both he and his wife were moved to tears (me too).

His family is very lucky to have someone to be so proud of with them.

I completely agree. With all that is in the news these days, it's good to know there are people like him in this world of ours.

Elsie

He is a marvel!

Did you see the interviews with him and his crew? What an amazingly classy man. I just watched a snippet of it on last night's Countdown podcast. They showed his wife reading a a letter someone had sent thanking him for his skill and not hitting any of the buildings, and both he and his wife were moved to tears (me too).

His family is very lucky to have someone to be so proud of with them.

A genuine hero, and a nice guy to boot! He said he wanted the attention to be more on the whole crew and less on just him! It IS true that his whole life seemed to have been preparing him for that one incident. Just incredible, and a wonderful story.

Just listened to the 60 Minutes Interview. He said he had been reflecting over the last few weeks about what happened, and if he had done everything he could have. I'm not sure what he was doubting, but apparently this was quite a shocking experience for him.

These are the people that our kids should admire, not drug popping sports stars.

I watched the entire interview. I couldn't agree with you more.
He is a true gentleman.
I thought it was funny. His wife was on the phone when he called her from the crash site. She ignored call waiting 2 times! She decided to pick up on the 3rd call. That would be me! I'm always ignoring call waiting. I have it on my phone and consider it rude:p

I used to be a Flight Attendant for USAirways. I wish I had gotten the chance to fly with Sully. Wow! What a great professional man. He is always so poised in the interviews. He did an awesome job ditching that airplane.
Tears come to my eyes everytime I hear the story.

Did you guys hear the radio communications between Sulley and the tower? Talk about cool as a cucumber. It was like "You can land in such-and-such place..." "Negative. Not gonna make it. Will have to land in The Hudson..." Just like that. Like the man routinely lands planes in rivers! Talk about Big One's. And he's German-American, like me. One for the team. Yay!

Then, did you see the footage from the two cell phones that shot the landing. Smooooooth. It's an example pilots and crews will be studying forever, as in "THIS is how it's done."

But Sulley's right, that crew is pretty amazing as well. Wow.

I watched the 60 minutes interview and was really impressed -- especially when he said he really didn't feel like a hero, but he's embracing being a hero because people want good news, good stories with happy endings, and heroes. But, he himself, really didn't feel like a hero. So humble. That interview really struck a nerve with me.

Heidi

From that interview recalling the phone conversation between Sulley and the tower, he told the tower that he was going into the Hudson. Someone came back and said, "come again. Another voice responded, "he said he's going into the Hudson."
My opinon of Sulley-Great job and Kudos to him and his crew. But, from reports, he is a private person and doesn't like being center of attention.
I agree that this country is starved for good news, for positive, and for hope.
This story did it all. Cheers to Sulley.

"Will have to land in The Hudson..." Just like that. Like the man routinely lands planes in rivers!

It was also impressive when he told Katie that he never doubted he could do it. That's what it's all about. Knowing you can do something. As soon as you start thinking you can't, you're right.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.