Just starting to be Wheat Free-any takers?

stmirli

Cathlete
I am back from vacation, and after feeling bloated and tired from a wheat-full diet with relatives, I am ready to try wheat-free eating. I started today, and have to say that I have not been hungry at all. Anyone want to eat wheat-free along with me for some company and morale support?

I read Wheat Belly on the plane and am going to try some new recipes this week.

I've been considering going paleo/primal lately so that would be wheat free if its ok to join in. I've been playing with it for a couple weeks, but have never gone all in. It gets tough when you go out to dinner or over to friends or family for dinner.

My favorite breakfast lately is sauted onions and peppers cooked in coconut oil, then put that in an omelet, or add some chicken. Super filling!

Great! I would love some company. I had a veggie omelet for breakfast and leuutce wraps with broccoli slaw for lunch. I am already eating all the right foods, I just have to cut out the wheat.

I just read my original post and noticed the spelling errors. I guess lack of wheat is effecting brain activity! LOL

I started a paleo diet two weeks ago and have lost over six pounds. I can’t believe it, usually that would take me months to achieve. Like you said Stimirli, no cravings, I feel as if someone turned off a switch. I’m sold on this form of eating, except for one problem, constipation. I’m adding fiber to my morning Shakeology Shake and to my evening tea. I also added live probiotic capsules. I hope this takes care of the problem because I really want to stick to this diet. Count me in.

Hey there!

I have been gluten free for years now and about 9 months Paleo. I just wanted to suggest a product called Natural Calm to address the constipation issue. I take 3 tsp at night mixed with a little warm water and it totally helps with that. It is magnesium and I get the raspberry lemonade flavor. It also tends to help me relax right before bed for an added bonus! HTH! ;)

Good luck!!

Natalie

Hi,

Just curious on the wheat free, gluten free, Paleo eating, can you show one day's worth of eating for us that are interested in looking into the Paleo type of diet?

The biggest change in mindset comes from not thinking about "breakfast foods" for breakfast. Eggs are no problem, but if you don't want to eat them every AM, try other proteins. I do lettuce wraps, veggie stir fry, chicken, etc. I will be trying some gluten free recipes like wheat-free bread and flax seed wraps and will share if they are good. There is even a recipe for cauliflower crust pizza. Spaghetti squash is my go-to for dinner as a pasta substitute. My Italian blood needs a good "gravy"! Since cheese is OK, I am a happy girl.

It takes preparation to eat this way, that's for sure. There is a lot of shopping at the farm stand and chopping veggies.

Does anyone have some tried and true recipes to share?

I started a paleo diet two weeks ago and have lost over six pounds. I can’t believe it, usually that would take me months to achieve. Like you said Stimirli, no cravings, I feel as if someone turned off a switch. I’m sold on this form of eating, except for one problem, constipation. I’m adding fiber to my morning Shakeology Shake and to my evening tea. I also added live probiotic capsules. I hope this takes care of the problem because I really want to stick to this diet. Count me in.

Prunes will help with the constipation, one or two a day will do it. Also try Fiber Therapy by Equate. It has 100% psyllium husk fiber. I use the unflavored kind.

Janie

Janie is right prunes will help...I try to stay away from dried fruit for my own personal goals.

First of all I have to say that I don't mind eating leftovers and I am divorced so it is just me and my little girl - meaning, I can fix whatever I want and eat it all week long if I want. ;) I think that makes it all a little easier for me.

So on Sundays I typically fix what I will be eating for the week. I make two types of meat and pair it with veggies of some kind. I often throw a very large meatloaf (1.5-2 lbs) in the oven and chicken breasts in the crock pot. Then I will either saute some veggies in coconut oil or roast some in the oven. I also enjoy spaghetti squash but have recently started julienne (sp?) zucchini and squash into noodles and put spaghetti sauce on those along with either ground beef or chicken and top with some EVOO.

So this week for example I made zucchini/squash noodles, poured spaghetti sauce on them and topped with one of the chicken breasts I cooked in the crockpot yesterday. I also browned ground beef and found a recipe for guac and taco seasonings. I will put all of that over a bed of greens with some tomatoes maybe. I will eat those meals for lunches and dinners all week. (I am doing an intermittent fasting thing right now so I don't eat breakfast.) Friday nights are always pizza night with a almond/coconut flour crust. ;) Snacks are typically hard boiled eggs with a piece of fruit or some jerky.

Natalie

Does anyone have some tried and true recipes to share?

Hi there!

Ghallaba (Lebanese stew) is one of my favorite meals of all time, I make it constantly:

Chop whatever vegetables you want. I usually use a couple different color bell peppers, an onion, a few carrots, and a carton of mushrooms.

Saute in olive oil in whatever order you want for however long you want to get the 'doneness' you like. I caramelize the onions and mushrooms first, along with a few small cloves of minced garlic, and then add the peppers and carrots until the peppers are soft and the carrots have just a bit of crunch left to them.

Puree/process 3-4 tomatoes and add to the pan along with:

Juice of half a lemon
Handful of chopped parsley (I often run out of parsley; it's fine without)

1 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp salt

It's really pretty easy (just a lot of chopping veggies, like you said), and you can adjust it to whatever taste you want. This is really just my take on it, e.g. most recipes call for sumac, which I never have, and tomato sauce/water, when I'd rather use fresh tomatoes, and I put less cayenne in than is usually called for.

After everything's in the pan, you just let it simmer down for a few minutes until it's nice and saucy.

It's typically served with chicken or beef but I usually eat it without. I serve it over rice and with hummus on the side. I think the flavor combination with the hummus is critical, but for someone going strictly paleo, I guess that wouldn't be allowed.

If I had to eat one meal every day for the rest of my life this would be it. :) The flavor is just out of this world. Hope you get a chance to try it!

I like salads for lunch. Leftover grilled chicken or part of rotiserie chicken. A pile of lettuce, sauted onions and peppers, and homemade dressing of choice.

For dinner I make cauliflower "rice" by shredding cauliflower in the food processer and sauteing till cooked. Then I can put whatever i want on top, Indian food, stirfried veggies.

My favorite salad is:

Mixed super greens or spinach leaves
6 large Sliced Strawberries
Handful of Blueberries
Red onion slices
Pecan halves

Dressing-
2 TBSP Olive oil
1TBSP White Wine vinegar
1TBSP frozen cranberry juice

Some helpful tips to avoid constipation..... fish oil and flax oil! Healthy fats such as coconut oil, fish and flax will help you lose weight and keep things smooth.

Starting a new diet it doesn't hurt to take a probiotic until your body adjust to the new lifestyle. The best probiotics are found in the refrigerated section of your health food store.

Nuts, if you are not sensitive to nuts they are high in fiber. I eat 2- 1/4 cup servings daily, and this keeps me regular as well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.