Cathlete
Hi All,

Just ordered a barbell set :)-jumpy ! Very excited !), that comes with:

a barbell bar
2 x dumbell size bars
4 x 2.5# discs
8 x 5# discs
plus the locking things, etc

But I am CONFUSED (and this thing hasn't even arrived yet !), if I put 2 x 5# discs at each end of my long bar, will that mean that I am lifting 20#'s in weight, or do I have to add on the weight of the actual long bar as well ? :-hmmm

Can anyone help my brain sort this out, please ? I am so confused.

Many Thanks

Anna :)

Hey, Anna! You DO add the weight of the bar to your weight load count; thus if you have 20 pounds worth of discs / plates on the bar, and the bar weight 5 pounds (just as an example) then your total weight load is 25 lbs. Don't worry about the confusion - a lot of people wonder about that!

Annette Q. Aquajock

Thanks Annette

I shall have to wait and see how heavy the bar is, apparently it is arriving on Wednesday ! :D

Hi Yen,

I decided to get it from Argos - it is costing £19.99p !!!!! a bargain, and it is a York one, too.

Congratulations Anna

Its great fun with the barbell once you get used to it and remember don't tighten your finger around the bar when working.

Babs

You will like it. I have the set and it's just right. They are in kilos though, so you will have to convert it to lbs if you want to know how much Cathe uses. In MIS, she uses 35lb barbell press and that is 15kg. I started off with the 2 x 5kg plates on to the barbell and that makes 15kg, but you might find that a little too heavy if you have never lifted weights before. Work with 2 x 2.5kg on the barbell until you feel it's too easy and then add 0.5kg or 1.25kg to it.

Have fun.

Yen

I too am the proud owner of a barbell set. It's my birthday and my wonderful DH brought me a 110 lb barbell set, 2 8lb & 1 10lb dumbell, & weight lifting gloves. My kids brought me new 10 lb ankle weights and a new video. My one daughter gave me 25 gift card to buy new jeans (all mine are too BIG - never thought I'd say that). I know I'm bragging but my family is so supportive. DH pre-ordered me 2 Cathe DVDs for x-mas and kids are getting me S&H DVD. To date - 29 lbs lighter!!!!

Happy late birthday. Also may I congratulate you on your weight loss. It is so great that your family is so supportive.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.