Just Need Plain Old Help

Annabelle2

Cathlete
I posted this on "Ask Cathe" but I know she is very busy and may not answer to I am posting here to get some of your expert opinions:

Due to some living life challenges I fell off the fitness wagon and am getting back on. I followed Cathe and was in shape for many years and now I am trying to get it back. I know where to start on the eating and I am doing that but there are so many choices - STS - XTrain - tons - and I have them all. I am about 60 lbs overweight :( and determined to get in shape. I have searched the forums and the internet and there are so many programs, challenges, sets........ What do you suggest for a start? I like to work hard and I need lots of conditioning and weight training. I just need a plan - which one or what do you suggest?

Hi Annabelle - I left a message under 'ask cathe' - but I'll post again here. XTrain 90 day rotation would get my vote. I've done lots of other programmes (STS, Insanity, P90X etc all the usual) but I reckon this got me the best OVERALL results (compared to, say STS which got me the best muscle growth).
HTH and very, very good luck
Enjoy!
Justine

Thank you so much for answering Justine! - I am going to enter it in Workout Manager now !

Last edited:
I did the straight forward 90 day rotation. For 2 reasons - at the time I didn't have LIS (good reason!!), but also, because it was how it was originally written and intended, so I figured Cathe had put a lot of research and work into getting it spot on.
Now that I have LIS, I still wouldn't use it, as it tends to hurt my back if I do too much - I guess there's quite a bit of stretching and reaching in LIS. That said, I'm off to do Slide and Glide.:D
Although I didn't have very much weight to lose, I lost quite easily without having to deprive myself. I simply cut back on carbs (but didn't exclude), eliminated sugar, ate reasonable amounts of protein, and didn't add extra fat to meals, although I didn't limit naturally fatty foods (eg advocados nuts etc). In other words I ate clean. Loads of veggies, a little fruit. 90 days transormed me!
Let us know what you decide, and keep in touch!
Justine

I am going to do as written - you are right -- I am pretty heavy so I know I will have to modify a little at first but I know I can do it!!!

Hello Annabelle2,
Firstly, I congratulate you for recommitting yourself to fitness. It's not easy to carve out the time to take care of yourself, and I wish you all the best!

I wanted to add that I achieved great results doing the LIS series rotation that was posted. Cannot recall what month (but I'm sure it's in the Workout Manager), but I loved it. If you do have the LIS, you might mix it with XTrain for the 90 day rotation. I'm kind of a variety junkie, and I found the 90 day XTrain rotation to be too repetitive for me. If you have that challenge, you might want to either mix in LIS, or pick some one month rotations that you can switch up after 30 days. I think boredom can be a problem when we're trying to get back on the wagon, so I wanted to suggest some other options. Really, I think any rotation will work for you. What was key to me in losing weight was to clean up my eating in the manner that Justinef mentioned, and to consistently exercise 5-6 days per week. Once I wanted to refine my physique, I certainly found that doing specific types of training were advantageous, but when you're overweight and you're just getting started, your body will respond to any increase in activity coupled with a decrease in calories.

Do whatever makes you happy and that you can stick with for exercise, and if your eating is good, you WILL get results.:D

Take care,
Eva

Congrats to you for taking steps back to your health and fitness!!

I agree XTrain is a great overall fitness plan. I, like another poster, tend to need more variety. I did the 90 Day, but it took me longer as in between months I did 1-2 weeks of something totally different, such as walking outside, yoga and more circuit workouts. Then I was ready to jump back into XTrain with full motivation again. It's important that if you do feel bored or unmotivated, don't get down on yourself and think it's a failure on your part, just switch it up and come back to it. Listen to your body, many of XTrain's workouts are tough. Dont feel like you have to complete the whole workout to be a success, take advantage of shorter premixes. Cardio Leg Blast is challenging and I have yet to complete more than 2-3 segments of Tabatacise, so substitute when you need to and come back to it! Fitness has to be fun, not a chore. Good Luck! Report back with your progress!

Last edited:
Congratulations on recommitting to health and fitness!!

I was where you are right now at the beginning of June (50 pounds overweight, really out of shape). The first few weeks I just did random workouts just to get back into the swing of things. I was never a rotation type of person but I committed to the LIS 4 week rotation. I chose LIS simply because I didn't think I could handle impact at that time. I did that rotation twice and I really liked having a rotation- it was just a no brainer and I really needed to just get on with it. After that I moved on to XTrain. I'm 8 weeks in and I LOVE it. My arms look fantastic! Most of the workouts are under an hour and I really give them my all. I do occasionally sub in another workout (KPC for HS or Butts and Guts for Legs) just for variety. I think that whatever you choose will be great as long as you work hard and commit to it.

I'm careful about what I eat, nothing crazy-I just eat clean and watch my portions. No amount of working out will fix a bad diet for me. I've lost over 30 pounds and I just feel so much better. You will too!! Just remember if you have a bad day don't beat yourself up!! Just keep going-that's the most important part.

Good Luck!
Jane

Thank you so much for your encouraging responses!!! I appreciate it VERY much - I will report on my progress - I am excited :)

Chelsea - I did not see your post yesterday????? Thank you - it is good to hear from someone who was where I am - I needed to hear that - I have been doing kettlebells but they are just aren't enough! I have cleaned up my eating - and I think I am going to do the Whole 30 Challenge to take it a bit further - I am 55 and cannot tolerate dairy much any more for some reason and I think it would just be good for me. Thanks again ladies!

Nov 2011 LIS

Good luck on your journey; you can do it!

I've done the November 2011 LIS rotation twice and really lean out my lower body when I do this one. I'm mid-way through week 3 of October 2013 and love this rotation as well. This week had both Super Cuts & Flex Train...super awesome fun factor!!

I'm hoping Cathe comes up with a 90-day rotation to incorporate CF, TTM, XTrain & LIS. If not, I may create my own.

Lisa

Hey Sweet Lady,

Just seeing this and wanted to jump in to encourage you on your journey. If you'd like an online accountability partner I'll buddy up with you to see you through. Just let me know on FB. Hang in there girl. You CAN do this.

Hi there

I just wanted to tell you I to struggle with the weight issue. And as I agree that move more and eat the way u know you should is right, it isn't that simple. I know
I lost 70 pounds in my 20s now it's harder to do but keep trying don't give up till u find what works for you.
I just discovered a trick for me is weights upper body 30 minutes then I jog or do a cardio for 30 minutes I have started eating less then I was and I l0st five pounds in two weeks when I have not lost any for a year of trying! I'd do weight two days a week and then cardio three days but now I bake cardio more times a week but not a long session.
Now I'm not sure if it is the way I am doing my exercise or just the fact I am not eating as much with that. But I truly know how hard it is to do. To eat the way your suppose to! Especially now days so many ways and so different information on what to eat. But my rule of thumb is to just eat a ton of veggies!! I have started cutting up veggies for lunch with a lite dressing. That helps me to keep calories low, I used to eat fat free or low fat and that's how I lost all that wight but stress and taking care of my mom had me neglect my work outs and ate more out of depression. Now I have more stress and depression that to much to go into now, but just know it is an everyday process. And I get it.. I get that life gets in the way.
Also think about more in terms of strong bones and muscles and being healthy verses getting skinny or whatever. I had that problem before so not saying that's ur case at all. But it was mine. So I just want to be healthy for what family I have left and be strong, to me being strong physically helps me be strong mentally and emotionally.
Anyway good luck!! And there's lots of positive nice lady's here who know alot if stuff. Oh by the way I love X train!!! And the rock out knock out she just put out! Very fun and easy to modify !!

Thanks so much for the encouragement and information!!! I am going to do the Whole 30 Challenge for eating - I am a pretty clean eater - I just eat way too much but I am reigning that in.

Rhondalyn!!!! Long time no see my friend - I think we have been friends now for about 12 years or so? It would be good to have a partner - I will get you on FB!

Renee Pruitt - did we meet on a road trip?

I started XTrain yesterday - Chest Back and Shoulders Friday and Cardio Leg Blast today - I cannot the cardio exactly as is but one day I will - I had to do step ups for the jumps on the step - next time I do it I will just use the top step. Here I go -- on the way.....

Posted on my other thread too - won't wear the welcome out though - will post progress when I have some :)

No I have not been to a road trip but it would be nice if I did!!
I'd love to meet u!
I can't wait to hear your progress ! It makes me excited to hear cause it gives me more motivation!

You might want to try the beginner's rotation and then go to the LIS series. I like it a lot. Also 4DS is great for getting back into things.

Well done Annabelle - Cardio Leg Blast is a toughie - not just on the legs, but a great general workout. One day you'll suddenly realise you can do it without modifying - that's the best feeling, when progress just creeps up on you!
Keep at it :D
Justine

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.