Jon's side of the story...

SNM Videos

Administrator
Eric_Sleeping.jpg

POSTED BY JON FOR CATHE

Hello. I would first like to extend a warm thank you for all the kind words of support. Cathe is fortunate to have sooo many friends. Tears came to her eyes when I brought printed out copies of the responses to the news about Eric’s birth to the hospital the next day. Cathe is still busy learning motherhood. She is breastfeeding and Eric is not sleeping through the night, so she gets tired. He originally started out sleeping through most of the night and then suddenly had a change of plans for this week. I help out when I can. And that is why I took the time to write this. Cathe has wanted to post for sometime but I have insisted on her taking it easy for at least a couple of more days. So I’m sure you will be hearing from her VERY soon. Obviously I am treading in Cathe’s expertise so bear with me as I try to briefly describe the big day as many have requested. If you do not care for the details you can stop here.

We were up visiting Cathe’s parents in the late morning Tuesday Dec. 28th specifically for Cathe’s scheduled family baby shower. She was mentioning weird cramps every so often the day before. We were not thinking that it was contractions of course, so Cathe was just dealing with the pain (quite well too). We attended the shower during which Cathe did not feel well so she did not eat much. Later in the evening (still at her parents) she was still not very hungry, but forced a slice of pizza down, “because Eric needed something”. We were thinking about heading home because we had said that after Christmas and the baby shower, we were going to devote our attention to packing our hospital bags and preparing for Eric’s arrival. We had even joked about not forgetting to pack my special Labor Coach Kit. As I was getting all of the packages together and Addi fed (we brought him with us to her parents), Cathe called out for me. She was in the bathroom and mentioned that she just felt a gush of liquid pour out of her. She thinks her water broke and she called the doctor (its about 10 pm). The doctor told her to go to the closest hospital for an evaluation. Cathe asked the doctor (great doctor by the way) if we could meet him at the hospital that she was scheduled to deliver at, but that hospital was about 2 hours away and he was not comfortable with that. He suggested a couple of very reputable hospitals near her parent’s house and we headed to the closest one. During the drive (Cathe was in the back seat on her side) the contractions started coming more regularly. I timed them and they were about 4 to 5 minutes apart (sorry, I didn’t have my coaching kit with my stop watch in it packed). I pulled up to the hospital emergency and walked in and asked for assistance. I must have been too calm because I did not get much of a reaction until I stopped an EMT that was walking in. Well, when he saw the situation he must have said something because a large crew from the emergency room came running out with a stretcher. I caught up with her on the stretcher on the way to the delivery floor. We had to wait at registration (that seemed to take forever) before they pushed her into the delivery room. Everything seemed to be normal from then on. I stayed with her for the entire time. They started by giving her an exam to see if her membranes had ruptured. They had and therefore started an IV with an antibiotic into her because of the strep B bacteria that she had tested positive for earlier in her pregnancy. They said this was standard procedure. I’ll let her go more into the details of labor but at 4 centimeters dilated they were able to give her an epidural (I think Chris posted that she went natural but I think what he meant to say is that she did not have a c-section). A very in pain Cathe swears she was already 5 or 6 centimeters dilated before the epidural because the anesthesiologist took an hour to get to her after she was 4 centimeters. After the epidural, (it was now 3 am) Cathe actually seemed to be in a great mood. She was joking around and saying that she couldn’t believe how easy this was now. She waited around until she was 10 centimeters dilated (the contractions slowed down to 3 minutes apart again after the epidural so things took a little longer) and then the doctor told her to start pushing (it was now 6:20 am). The doctor was somewhat specific in that he wanted her to hold her breath and push. Cathe was somewhat confused by this because her whole career is based on exhaling as you push and now she is being told to hold her breath. She also told me that in Sheila’s Watkins prenatal coarse that she took this past summer, Sheila had told them to avoid this kind of pushing (I think Cathe said it was called purple pushing---don’t quote me on that). Cathe reluctantly tried this doctors “hold your breath” method for about 3 contractions and then stated that she felt like the blood vessels in her eyes were going to explode. The doctor agreed to let her try the method that she was taught (slowly exhaling with force as you push) and was so impressed that he invited her to come teach the hospital staff her “magical aerobic training method” as he called it. With Cathe’s pushing method in tact, we saw the top of Eric’s head appear in no time. Then they moved a mirror over to Cathe so that she could see what was happening. Talk about motivation, she really pushed hard now. This effort must have taken the doctor by surprise because suddenly he told her to hold off a second as a staff of doctors appeared quickly and changed into surgical garb. That startled Cathe and she was afraid something was wrong. The doctor assured her all was well, so she went back to pushing. Well good thing the doctors changed when they did because it did not seem like more than five minutes before Eric’s head popped out. How emotional that was. Cathe and I were laughing and crying as she gave another push to get the shoulders out. At 7:03 am on Dec. 29th, we heard Eric let out a little scream and then he (and we) started crying. I was soooo proud of them both. Cathe was amazingly strong throughout the whole thing. This was truly a miracle. Cathe was dying to hold the baby but had to stay still while the doctor sewed up the episiotomy that he gave her after she tore a little (the doctor said it was a second degree tear). Shortly after, little Eric was placed in her arms and I leaned over and squeezed and kissed my new family. Life is wonderful !!!!

Thank you again for all the support!

Jon and Cathe

P.S. For future reference, Cathe even mentioned shortly after Eric’s birth that she would gladly do this again.

How nice of you to share this experience with us...

...your distant friends. Your life will never be the same now, full of sleepless nights, dirty diapers, and many other experiences that you will not want to trade for the world.

What a time to keep a journal...we all mean to, and few of us do, but please keep it in mind. You will forget so much, many of those treasured moments that you swear you will carry with you in your memory.

Much luck to you.
happy.gif

THANK YOU Jon!

What a WONDERFUL job you've done describing the big day -- thank you so much for sharing the details of this intimate and wonderful event with a thousand or so of Cathe's closest "virtual" friends!
happy.gif

I read the whole story with a lump in my throat and swimmy eyes, because it reminded me so much of the birth of my own sons. I'm sure every one of us who has children will tell you the same thing. Seeing that little face and hearing that cry and counting those toes is just the most overwhelming burst of joy in the whole world.

And he is truly a gorgeous baby, too -- icing on the cake!

Many, many warm wishes and prayers and happy thoughts, hugs, kisses, etc. to you, Cathe and Eric. Hope you all get some sleep soon!
happy.gif

Kathy and family in Atlanta (including a 13-year-old son who thinks your wife is TOTALLY BUFF!!!)

Journal & Video

Honeybunch, GREAT suggestion! A journal would be a priceless companion for those hours and hours of videotape.

Tell me, y'all -- are we alone in this or will anyone else admit to it: We must have 15 consecutive minutes of videotape of our first son as a newborn baby just lying asleep! We watch it occasionally and chuckle at the amazing amount of time we spent aiming the camera at Alex while he basically did nothing at all. The voiceovers are endless minutes of us sounding just giddy and goofy and sappy, reciting in gory detail EVERY bodily function the poor baby had performed -- like this was the most fascinating news in the world!

I wouldn't trade a moment of that video, but it's truly the stuff that only a baby's parents can sit through!
happy.gif

Beautiful!

What a wonderful story, Jon! Many thanks to you and Cathe for sharing this special occasion with all of us.

Lynne

Thank You Jon!

How thoughtful of you to describe your special day with us. I really enjoyed reading about it (and seeing another picture of your beautiful baby boy). Best wishes to all of you!
Erica

Thanks, Jon

Thanks for taking time in your busy schedule to share your story, Jon. I was hanging on to every word! I can just see the buttons bursting from your shirt - you must be so proud of Cathe and Eric!

I am sure Eric will get his days and nights figured out pretty soon. Well, at least before he heads to kindergarten, hee hee!

Thank you, Jon!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful story with us. I too read it with a lump in my throat and "swimmy" eyes. Eric is a beautiful baby and I know that you and Cathe are thrilled and so very proud!

Send Cathe my best and tell her to take it easy - while we miss her here, it's more important that you all get your new family settled and she get some rest!

Judy

Oh, Jon!!

It sounds like you all did JUST GREAT! I am sitting here with swimmy eyes and a lump in my throat just as someone else mentioned. . . birth is one of the most precious moments. . . Your heart suddenly stretches even more than your body does, your heart just HURTS with love! Like I'm telling you anything you don't already know! And while our bodies snap back into their original shape or a fair approximation, a parent's HEART is never the same. It will be bigger forever. It knows joys and pains it never would've understood before it expanded so violently and suddenly. You guys are so blessed. -susan p

Thanks for sharing your story!

What a tremendous experience--thank you for sharing your beautifully written story with us.
I hope all of you are getting plenty of rest.

The long awaited details....Thankyou so much!

I've been waiting to hear about Cathe's delivery! You are so sweet to spend your babymoon(like honeymoon-getting to know your new baby) time to share with us the birth story. What an amazing experience! Cathe sounds like she did a super job! Being in such great shape, I'm sure she is recovering fast. I'm sure it was such a shock not to go to the hospital that you thought you were going to. And not have all your stuff to take with you. You sound like a wonderful husband and Dad. A rare jewel in this world. It was hard to read your post with dry eyes. The tears kept welling up. Since I'm pregnant, I have a joyous experience to look forward to. Reading about Cathe's birth brings back memories. Give Cathe and Eric my love and thanks so much again for taking the time to post:))))

Journal

I second the idea for keeping a journal. My mom told me she always wished she had done this, so I started when I was pregnant with my first and have kept one to this date for all three of my girls. I try to write down some of the funnier things they say/do, I tell about any time they were sick with something other than a cold, and about how we spent holidays/vacations. I tend to look back at one of the older girls' books to see what they were doing at the age of a younger girl (I also wrote milestones, words, etc.) Or if one got sick and I thought it might be something the other had, I looked it up as well.
I write it in the style of a letter to each of the girls and always end with how much I love them.
It's a great keepsake for them.

Also teary eyed

Why is it whenever a father talks about the birth of their baby or just about their baby it always makes me misty eyed. What a proud daddy - deservedly so!!!

Jon, thank you so much for the detailed description of the birth of Eric. We moms always love to hear the details. I'm glad all went so well, even though you weren't able to be as prepared as you would have liked.

Cathe, good for you for sticking up for what you learned and what seemed right to you (not holding your breath). I am very impressed that you would tell the doctor you wanted to do it differently - especially during your first delivery.

Please take care of yourselves and little Eric. I know what it feels like to have a baby that doesn't sleep through the night. You feel like you are walking around under water. Get sleep when you can and don't worry about hurrying back - everyone will wait for you.

How heartwarming!!

Thanks for sharing your precious memories with
us!! You did a fantastic job of unfolding the
wonderful tale of Eric's birth!!

I can certainly tell that you are very proud
of your new family!! I am so glad that Cathe
had such a good experience during Eric's birth.
Give her our love and tell her we are all so
very proud of you both!!

Your little boy is precious beyond words!! I
wish you and your family every joy possible!
Relish every minute and hold onto every memory!

Congratulation Jon and Cathe on a job well done!

Tammy Churchman

Beautiful story, beautiful boy

Jon, thanks so much for posting yours, Cathe's and Eric's story. Count yet another swimmy-eyed, lump-in-the-throat person reading it!

Yes, the holding breath while pushing is called "purple pushing." It's definitely called that for a reason! I'm so glad to hear that Cathe used exhale pushing and that it worked so well. I'm a RN/childbirth educator, and Cathe pushed exactly the way that we teach in class. As was mentioned already, kudos to both of you for asserting yourselves. It's so important for parents to ask for what they want during the birth experience. It's amazing how much more positively the birth experience is viewed when you feel like you've been listened to.

Congratulations, and I love the newest picture of Eric!

Kristin Aziz

Tears....and smiles!

With tears in my eyes I sat here reading your story but also with a smile on my face! What a joyous experience to have a child! Your life will never be the same, babies have a way of turning everything upside down!!
happy.gif

Thanks so much for sharing this very special time with us. And about that journal...it is a wonderful thing. A close friend gave me one at my firstborn's baby shower and I started writing in it right away. Now, almost 8 years and two kids later, I still keep a journal for my girls to have when they're grown. They love to read them even now! I believe (and hope) they will treasure them more and more as the years pass.

Best wishes to you, Cathe and Eric!
happy.gif

Bev K.

Thanks and Congratulations!

Thanks so much for the great blow by blow of Cathe's delivery! It brought tears to my eyes as well! It must have been pretty overwhelming to suddenly find yourselves rushing to a strange hospital. It's like something they would show on TV or something.
happy.gif

It sounds like you, Jon, are doing a great job as the new daddy, taking care of Eric and protecting Cathe from herself! Hee, hee!
happy.gif
I wanted to thank you for being willing to share such a special time with a bunch of women you don't even know! ( If you don't remember me from the last VF roadtrip, I was the one with the camera. That helps, right?!
happy.gif
) Anyway, I'm very grateful to you for being so generous in allowing us to be Eric's nosy cyber-aunts!

Cathe, take care of yourself, and don't come back until you're sure you're ready! We know that you have a pretty full plate right now. Just cuddle little Eric, and we'll be here when you get back! Thanks so much for giving us the chance to see Eric and find out how you're doing!
happy.gif

Erin

Thank you Jon!

Thank you so much for sharing such a personal story! That was so touching that I almost cried in happiness for you and Cathe.
Congratulations !!!

What a great story

Thank you so much for posting it. So many wonderful memories that you are both going to have. It reminded me so much of the birth of my first son (though I did go all natural- what was I thinking?).

Congratulations to you and Cathe on your wonderful precious son. Tell Cathe to please take it easy and treasure this time with her baby. They grow up much too fast.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.