Job Search Update

ashaw

Cathlete
I've been grinding away at my job search and dealing with a lot of stress and frustration. When I did my online training to become a physical therapy aide, there were a lot of available jobs. Now there are the same old tired ones. I got a call back from a screener from Texas Children's for the Therapy Technician position. On Fridays, there would be a rotation of working with children for pool therapy and the lady I spoke with a few weeks ago said a lot of people didn't want to be in the pool one day a week. I told her that wasn't a problem for me. She said she was going to forward my information to the next in line recruiter and I would hear back if they were interested. Nothing. I did get a phone screening interview with a rehab hospital, but the position was PRN, although the job posting didn't say so. PRN is as needed basis and the lady said she would keep my information on file should a regular full time position come up. Last Friday, I visited a PT clinic and had a casual interview with a doctor for a rehab tech position that is coming up this summer. I was pretty much planning to take it out of desperation if it was offered to me, but the clinic and conditions were so bad all it would do would be add more stress the stress I'm already under. I've also uploaded my resume at several major hospitals and PT clinic's "talent community".

I have 5 years experience doing virtual at home call center work and thought that would give me an edge because its a very hard field to break into. I've applied for 13 at home call center positions and I can see the stats on Indeed that around 2,000-3,000 people are applying for the same position. I did get a call back from a recruiter from a health benefit plan job I applied for, except the phone number he left for me to call him back at isn't a working number. I tried to call in on the number listed on my caller ID and you can't even get past the main menu without a account number.

I've now applied for a housecleaning job with a company called Naturalcare cleaning service that promises a $15 per hour base pay, plus bonuses and tips, affordable health benefits, no nights or weekends and they use all natural cleaning products. They have excellent employee satisfaction reviews on Indeed and I've read a lot of horrible reviews for both at home call center companies and doctor's offices.

I looked into getting my certification to work as a caregiver, helping housebound seniors with things like meal prep, light house cleaning, activities of daily living, trips to doctors appointments, grocery shopping, etc and all of the agencies I've looked at don't offer any health benefits and the pay is around $10-$12 per hour. I need health coverage because my Blue Cross policy I've had since 2007 is going to lapse in the next few days because we flat out can't afford it. Its heartbreaking that the pay is so low for the people who are taking care of the elderly with and without Alzheimer's and dementia.

In addition, the April 1 deadline for the loan on this house to be paid in full is looming and I don't know what to expect from that. My husband tells me not to worry, that they're not going to kick us out of here, but I'm not sure what they will do. Should that happen, my mom and step-dad have offered for me to come stay with them because that will be the last straw in this marriage. My heart breaks at the thought of having to rehome my Luca, but my mom can't be around dogs because if she got scratched it could be a life threatening bleeding emergency from the blood thinners she's taking. So, if that happens, I've found a fast track 1 month CNA school that's literally at the back side of their neighborhood. There's also a fast track CNA school near me which is another option.

Otherwise, I'm looking at another housekeeping job that similar to the one I applied for, I'm going to apply to be a non-instructional teacher's aide at a public school near me for the 2024-2025 school year, I'm floating the idea of doing a fast track training to become a Registered Behavioral Technician which is a entry level paraprofessional that works with children on the autism spectrum. There's a place called Action Behavior Center that says they pay between $18-$22 per hour, benefits included, attendance bonuses, etc.

I registered to drive Door Dash, had some minor work done on my car and after doing the background check, then my husband said he didn't want me doing it for safety issues because my 19 year old Lexus would make me a target.

I'm dealing with so much discouragement because had I known the PT Aide jobs were going to dry up just as I was starting my job search, I would've gone with the CNA or RBT that I'd floated before and am now circling back to. I know nobody can take that education away from me and I've gotten a good foundational study of medical terminology, common illnesses, anatomy & physiology and I have a basic life support certification from the American Heart Assn. I know that would be beneficial should I decide to pursue becoming a CNA.

Its amazing how one's mental state can have such a profound effect on working out. Last summer when I started the total body rotation for STS 2.0, I was absolutely crushing those workouts. I did a week of them in February and it about did me in. For the past 2 weeks, I did one of Cathe's Fit Split and RWH rotations and had to take a rest day yesterday because my entire lower body ached and I just didn't have the energy to do anything.

I'm hoping that something will break open soon although I'm still a long way, if ever from getting out of this marriage because of the massive bondage of debt across the board.

Hi Ashaw, I’m really truly sorry you are having such a hard time. I know the thought of rehoming your best buddy must be agonizing as well. Please remember you are valuable, you matter. It seems you are still trying to make things better. I would say just try to do one project or goal at time. My heart goes out to you. If I lived where you did I would take your dog just until you had time to get on your feet. Please hang in there.

Hi Ashaw, I’m really truly sorry you are having such a hard time. I know the thought of rehoming your best buddy must be agonizing as well. Please remember you are valuable, you matter. It seems you are still trying to make things better. I would say just try to do one project or goal at time. My heart goes out to you. If I lived where you did I would take your dog just until you had time to get on your feet. Please hang in there.
That brought tears to my eyes. That is just so darn sweet. You're absolutely right, I'm still trying to make things better and not giving up. I'm trying to cast a wide net. I applied for another remote customer service job today, as well as another Therapy Technician job at Texas Children's Hospital. Its really hard to focus on one thing at a time because its like everything is in crisis right now. I remember someone on here saying that in paramedic training they were taught you can only deal with one crisis at a time. All of my issues: job search, marriage problems, financial instability are sources of stress but I'm dealing with a perfect storm of all of them at once.

I haven't been around for awhile but I"m starting all over again after a job change. This post spoke to me. Just reaching out and asking for guidance is a huge step! Prayers for you and your family.
Thank you and you as well. I’m sitting here in tears and my husband and I were just arguing because his family is constantly asking him if I’ve found a job and they are well meaning with suggestions like, she loves to exercise why doesn’t she apply to be a personal trainer? It’s hard to explain to people that simply being a fitness enthusiast isn’t enough. As much as I love fitness, it’s my hobby but I wouldn’t want it to be my career. People mean well but right now I’m on overload.

Be sure to reach out to the people that give you a positive and balanced perspective. Keep doing the things that help you to stay calm and allow you to see the big picture of what you are trying to do. This has got to be so tuff. My heart goes out to you.
Thank you for your kindness. I’m doing the best I can at the moment and have kept up with my Cathe workouts even dialing down intensity or taking a day off as needed. I’ve got like 18 job applications out including 3 I put out today. I’m also considering either training to become a CNA (certified nursing assistant) or RBT (works with autistic kids). Both are relatively inexpensive, short trainings and have classes beginning in May. I have to make a decision if nothing happens in April. I’ve found an app called taskrabbit where you advertise services to people who need them. I need to earn money now and can at least clean houses or run errands for people. Over the weekend, my husband admitted this mess we’re in is 100% his fault…..but he’s not putting forth effort to find sources of income.

Updates on the job search front. I'm going in several new directions. No callbacks of any kind, not even for the house cleaning company I applied with almost 2 weeks ago. The Physical Therapy Aide/Tech jobs just aren't there and I can't wait for something to open up. I've got 20 something applications in for virtual call center which I did for almost 5 years.

Meanwhile, I've applied to Walgreens for their Pharmacy Tech Apprenticeship where you get paid to become a Certified Pharmacy Tech. I know that retail pharmacy is hard, so if I was selected, I would get the free learning and certification, stay and get experience and then go to a hospital or mom and pop pharmacy where the conditions are supposedly much better.

My other option is I applied for free Certified Nurse Aide training from a community charity organization. I go to their office next Wednesday for some orientation in order to be considered for the free classes. If I'm chosen, I would start Nurse Aide training on April 29 for 2 weeks in person class, 2 weeks Zoom class and then come back to the center for CPR training (Already have it), review and prep for the State of Texas exam. If I don't get selected, I have enough money hidden in my savings that I could pay for Nurse Aide school at a place near my house and its only a 21 day training. So, if I do either Nurse Aide training, I'd finish up in mid to late May. I have to do something because nobody is calling me for anything.

I'm hoping by becoming a CNA that would open doors to home health agencies, nursing homes, skilled nursing facilities. Schools have clinic aides for the school nurse. I even saw a Travel CNA job to New York! I would love to take Luca, hop on a plane, go work in the Big Apple and make some big bucks. Luca would earn her wings! And I'd be a hop, skip and jump from New Jersey and maybe see if I could buy a class pass to Four Seasons and take a real class with Cathe! I can dream!

So happy you’ve got options. I like the idea of Luca getting her wings. Hang in there, things will get better for you and Luca. Your endurance is to be admired.
Thank you so much my friend. My husband approached one of his friends yesterday about borrowing against the gold investment, in other words, getting an advance on something that may never materialize. This friend is worth millions and told him he'd think about it. Meanwhile, at least he got a small check for around $200 for a election day voter gig he did last months, but with overdrafts, he's got about $100 in the bank and I've got enough to get through the rest of this month. I've registered with Door Dash, Instacart and Instawork so far and I can't even find cheap gigs to do. If I keep signing up with these apps, the FBI will probably be alerted because so many background checks are going to show up on me!

If I'm fortunate enough to be selected for the CNA training, once I get my state license, the community charity organization would provide job search and resume assistance.
Right now my only problem is the deterioration of things at my house. Going to my parents is a all out last resort, but if his bank account stays overdrawn and things start to crumble, I might have to. My step-dad was willing to help me get my things out, but now he's hurt his knee and I certainly wouldn't expect him to help me being injured, so once again, I'd have to rent a truck, try to get things out myself and then come back and get my car. I never imagined I'd ever be in such a mess.

I wonder if when you least expect it you’ll get multiple job offers? You’ve certainly put out enough applications. I hope your husband realizes before it’s too late that the situation is dire. It’s got to be tough to feel so alone. All I can say is keep moving forward. Doing what you can but realizing that you don’t control everything, so you can only do the best you can do, and that may be different each day.

I wonder if when you least expect it you’ll get multiple job offers? You’ve certainly put out enough applications. I hope your husband realizes before it’s too late that the situation is dire. It’s got to be tough to feel so alone. All I can say is keep moving forward. Doing what you can but realizing that you don’t control everything, so you can only do the best you can do, and that may be different each day.
Thank you, that is so sweet and I hope its true! I had my meeting at the community charity organization in hopes of getting selected for the Nurse Aide training and found out there are 87 other people who have applied to the program. The man who interviewed me was so rude, talked down to me and I pretty much got the impression that I wasn't welcome there because I'm a middle age caucasian female. He said there were people who were already medical assistants who had applied to the program. I kinda thought that wasn't fair because I know where I live, there are already a lot of jobs for RMA's and CCMA's. I told him that I needed a quick certification to start a new career and get back into the workforce as quickly as I can and that I didn't have the time or money on my side to spend 9 months to become a MA or 2 years to become a physical therapist assistant, much less finish my degree. I was already stressed because we had a storm come through and the power at my house was out from 4-8 AM and I was running on barely any sleep and just didn't have my focus and concentration. If I'm selected, I will know in the next week or two. Otherwise, I'm contemplating registering at a career school fairly near where I live to get my CNA training. There are a lot of open CNA jobs here and some offer signing bonuses. I did apply for a physical/occupational therapy tech position at a local hospital, but I'm not sure if I stand a chance because I don't know anything about OT.

I've looked into teaching assistant jobs at Houston Independent School District, I already have a non-instructional aide application with them now and I might be eligible because I have 54 hours of college (48 is minimum to qualify) and I do have volunteer experience tutoring children in reading and math. HISD is a very controversial school district because of a recent state takeover and some drastic measures like getting rid of libraries at certain schools to turn them into discipline centers and this whole New Education System format at underperforming schools. A group of about 100 teachers had a sick out last Thursday to protest conditions within the schools and district. I want and need to work, even bad working conditions would be OK considering the dysfunction in my household and my husband's refusal to seek gainful employment. A friend told him yesterday to contact someone at the county appraisal district because of his real estate license and background and you'd think he'd be on the phone TODAY calling them but no. Thankfully not a word on the note due on this house. I'm even floating the idea of getting my Texas food handlers permit and seeing if I can get a job at a hospital cafeteria. I'm discouraged but not depressed and listening to my body on workouts. I actually felt up to Cardio Core Circuit this morning. Its one of my all time favorites.

I read your job search thread with empathy and emotions running high.

Through your written words, I see a tenacious lady who keeps showing up in life despite being buffeted by strong winds left and right. I admire how you use your energy to believe, create and manifest instead of surrendering.

"The last thing to grow on a fruit tree is a fruit."

If prayers are receptive to you, you'll be in my prayers.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.