January 2018 Damage Control

Beth-B-Fit

Cathlete
Hello and Happy New Year!

After last night I gained 2 pounds-grr. Why is it so easy to gain and so hard to lose? Diana, I liked that calendar you bought. I'm with you in getting rid of this belly from menopause. The only time last year it was more or less flat was when I did whole30 and was pretty faithful to it. I made some chia seed puddings up for breakfasts to try to get away from cereal. DS2 being home doesn't help-we have so much extra food in the house!

I got my Fit Split on Sat. and previewed them. Sat. was a rest day. Sunday I did Low Max without any trouble. Last week I did about 75% of IMAX 3 and my hip was feeling it. I was able to stretch and foam roll it out, but I've put IMAX on the "not to do" list for a while. I really wanted to try the Shred cardio workout, but will have to wait. I'm hoping that if I do Low Max with some more regularity that my hip will get used to stepping again? Or is high impact out for good? Time will tell. I know I should be happy with what I can still do...

I'm planning on following the FS (fit split) rotation on the calendar for January as as much as possible. I still want to do the pool once a week on Wed. and will substitute for Shred Cardio.

Off to watch Liverpool-it's been a bonanza of soccer the past few days!

Beth

Welcome to 2018!!! I think Imax 3/STS legs sounds like a great way to start the new year. My FitSplit workouts haven't arrived, probably tomorrow I guess.

I have a few fitness/health goals for 2018.
1. Drink 1 gallon of water at least 5 days per week.
2. Get 10K steps in at least 5 days per week. (harder than it sounds when you have a desk job and aren't a runner)
3. Exercise a minimum of 5 days per week. I may change this to hours per week since some days I do doubles and don't workout on other days due to my work schedule. Still figuring this one out.
4. Reach and maintain my goal weight. Started by joining WW.
5. Eliminate/limit processed foods. Stick to whole foods.

Do you have any fitness goals?

Beth-As you well know, your weight can fluctuate a lot day to day and is to be expected. That's one of the reasons I weigh daily. I really only concern myself when the weight doesn't go back down. I'm up 5lbs with no losing in site. Has Cathe posted the fitsplit rotation? I haven't seen it. Stepping bothers my knee so I keep it to a minimum. I only step every 2 to 3 weeks, but I'm just not ready to give it up. It's just so much fun. Have you tried using just the step without any risers?

Waving Hi to LL!!

bbl

Last edited:
Hello!

I'm already off my rotation. I did the Boxing and Legs DVD from FS yesterday and today my upper back muscles are sore and need a day off. So today was supposed to be Pull day and abs. I think I'll do the Push day instead. Got my hair trimmed this morning and have to go back to work later.

Diana, your goals look great. I've heard good things about the new WW Flex plan having lots more zero foods and being very doable.

My goals for this year:

1. Don't get hurt!
2. Get steps in or do a workout 5 days/week. Rest days should be yoga or extended stretching.
3. Keep up with my therapy exercises. (2x/day)
4. Maintain my weight.
5. Don't take things for granted.

Beth

Yesterday I did a BR w/o in the morning. I had intended to do the next STS disc, but had to run to the Dr. office instead. I thought I had another 90 days on my thyroid meds but I was wrong. I took my last pill this morning. Hopefully I will get my new prescription next week before I head to Oregon. I've been perusing the WW site and logging my food, what I normally eat. I've decided to weigh in at the meetings on Friday at 7:30 am. Tomorrow will be my first official weigh in and I will work the plan. I don't want to bore you with the points, but the 2 tbsp of peanut butter I like so much-7 pts. Well I only get 23 pts per day. Probably not a wise choice. Oy Oh, I have one more goal that I forgot to mention, that is to clean/organize 1 drawer, 1 shelf, 1 vanity, 1 cabinet...whatever, at least once per week. I spend too much time thinking about it and not enough time doing it. I did clean out one Kitchen junk drawer already. Yes, we have 2 junk drawers. I'm also trying budget for my travel this year. DS1 wants us to go to San Diego for Christmas this year. He will have the girls and it sounds lovely to me. I'll probably go out there some time in the summer also.

Beth-Your goals look great. I should probably add a couple of those to mine, don't get hurt and don't take things for granted. What do you think about planning and international trip for 2019? We have some lofty financial goals for this year, but hope to be in a position for an international trip in following year. Anywhere you would like to go? I love the UK and would enjoy some time in London.

LL-What are you up to this New Year??

bbl

Good morning!

Diana, an international trip sounds like a great goal for 2019! So many great places to choose from-we just have to start somewhere, right?! I'm in.

We need to have financial goals...and go round and round about a ranch house vs. staying here. Our house has very little insulation and we're in the middle of a cold spell. Maybe I should buy some curtains? We'll see. My immediate goal is to get Aaron through college and launched. Still trying to find an internship for the summer. Will he be able to take the dog with him? Do we have to pay for another apt. in the summer plus the place at state college (that lease runs through July). So many expenses.

It's going to take a week to get your medicine? Yikes. I'm finally down 1 lb. from the holidays. I am determined to get rid of my pouch. Yesterday I did the Push workout and the abs. Both super fun and effective. Today is mixed impact cardio 2x through. My skin is too dry now to go to the pool. I can barely take a shower lately.

I like your idea of a drawer or a space a week to get organized.

LL, what are you up to? Any goals for the new year?

Beth

It's been busy at work already. This morning I did X10 52 min premix and walked thirty minutes this afternoon. I couldn't walk until 4:15 and it was pretty cold by the time I got home. It sure is nice to move a bit after spending so much time sitting. I emailed the dr. office to see if they could put in my refill ASAP when the labs are in. I use a mail order pharmacy, that's the only reason it will take a bit. It's much cheaper. I got both of my planners in the mail today. I really like the one I ordered from amazon. I like them both, but the one from amazon is really good. I'm going to use that one for my financial goals I think, and the other planner for fitness/food/organization etc. I want to pay off one of the student loans by April and the other by July. My original plan was March and June, but I need the extra month to get caught up from Holiday spending and Condo dues. I'm officially starting weight watchers tomorrow and will go weigh in tomorrow morning.

Beth-Do you have insulated curtains? We have insulated shades on all our windows, they came with the house. We replaced our windows about 7 years ago and that helped too. What's your review of Fit Split? Oh, you might want to give coconut oil a try for your dry skin. A little goes a long way.

Waving Hi to LL.

bbl

Glad you like your planners. I'm tracking workouts here and books in a journal. I ended up doing Pull day yesterday and then the step premix from Cardio and Weights. I managed 7500 steps for the day since going outside is not an option right now. Today is a scheduled rest day. I really like the Fit Split series. The only one that might not be doable is the shred cardio. It's high intensity on the step. My hip is ok from C&W but I didn't go "all out". Tomorrow I'll do the low impact cardio and the metabolic workout. DH, DS2 and the dog just left. I better go see the cats!

Beth

I weighed in at the WW meeting this morning. I'm trying to pick a lunch workout. I track my workouts on a paper calendar in the basement along with calories burned and HR. I have them all way back to 2004! I print of monthly calendar pages and have the all in a notebook. When I starting the new year I put my previous years in the notebook. It's nice to see what I've accomplished over the years. I used to track on this site, but I do too many non cathe w/o's that it isn't worth it to me. I'm really liking the planner from amazon and hope to get my goals and then tasks to meet those goals logged this weekend. My prescription should be delivered anywhere from the 9th to the 13th. That could be up to 9 days without my thyroid medication. UGH. Yes, I hear you on the steps. When it is so cold out its nearly impossible to get my steps in. I finally got my steps and my 1 gallon of water for each of the past 2 days.

Beth-Is this series as fast paced as RWH? Those cardio w/o's are super fast IMO. I should probably just throw one in and give it a try today. The shred cardio looks super fun to me. I think I need to wait a couple more days before stepping.

LL-what are you up to this New Year?

No workout yesterday after all. I ending up talking to my sister in law at lunch instead. This morning I did a super tough BR w/o and then FS Kickbox Bootcamp/abs. I thought it was pretty fun and the abs were new and innovative. My wrists did start bothering me a bit. I'm off to visit my sister and niece today. She heads back to Hawaii for her last semester of school.

Hope you are having a great weekend.

Today I planned on doing Tabatacise, but when I got downstairs BM2 caught my eye so I did the BM2 cardio blast premix instead. Then I did BR leg workout. My organization this was to put away the Christmas Decorations, break down some wire cubes to give away and put the stuff from the cubes into a bookcase. Condensing is a great way for me to get organized. Once I have all like things together it will be much easier to organize and give away, sell, or throw away stuff I no longer need. I also went grocery shopping, took the recycle, and refilled our propane tanks. I'm feeling accomplished!

Hope you are have a wonderful weekend.

Hi Diana,

It sounds like you had a very productive weekend! I feel a bit scattered and disorganized right now. I did put Xmas decorations away in clear totes this year and tried to organize them a bit, too..

The weekend was a blur of sleeping in and work. I have been able to keep up with the rotation this month, but might switch today out for the pool. I pulled a muscle in my left low back somehow and don't think anything but the pool would be good. I may just take the day off even though I took off last Friday. I stretched a lot, but may need to take some Tylenol as well. It really hurts. So ,of course, I feel like I've failed my goals already. I'm starting a food diary this morning, too. I want to meal prep today and get my wash done plus I have a library meeting and bridge tonight. All I've done so far is feed the cats and get the coffee going. I'd like to do some menu planning, too. I need to focus better and just do one thing at a time.

How does your week look? Is work slowing down at all? Shred Cardio was so fun yesterday! You have to try that one.

Beth

Today I did a BR w/o in the morning and the next STS Disc. I think it was 31, it was Chest & Back. I used an 85# barbell and 38# db's. Yep, it was heavy. Thankfully it was only 6 reps of everything. Tomorrow is plyo legs in the morning and a BR w/o in the afternoon. I think I prefer the normal STS program - the long version, adding in an extra leg day each week. I'm seemed to have the best results. I'm going to finish up the undulating program though. The nature of the program is supposed to yield better results due to the constant change of weight/reps. I think I have 3 weeks left to go then will decide what I want to do next. I may go back to the STS 5 1/2 month rotation with an extra leg w/o each week. Thursday morning may be a good day to try Shred Cardio. I have an early meeting so will need a shorter w/o.

bbl

Today I did plyo legs and then a BR w/o this evening. I also went for a 30 minute walk/run at lunch. I think we broke a record high for today, 62 and sunny. I'm trying to get ready for my trip. I leave on Friday and will be out of pocket til Tuesday. We are staying at a hotel so if I have time, I can fit something in. I'm really focusing on getting my water in. It's not as easy as it sounds. I fill up the gallon milk jug with water each morning and use it water for my w/o's, oatmeal, tea, and just taking swigs out of it throughout the day. Not much movement on the scale, but even with my weight increase I'm feeling strong and energetic. I finally got my thyroid meds. In the week without them, all my nails have broken, my scalp is dry and flaky, and my hair is shedding. UGH I should be back to normal in a week or so. Oh, it looks like there is just one more week left on the undulating sts rotation with an optional 3rd month. I think I will just keep going with the rotation through January and then figure out what do to for February.

Beth-aches, pains and minor injuries are just part of life. I wouldn't say that you failed at your goals. Just like catching a cold or the flu, it's bound to happen. Hope it feels better soon.

My day definitely didn't go as planned. I did about 20 minutes of Cardio Shred this morning. Tonight I did a BR w/o. Oh well, I got something in regardless.

How was your day?

Hello!

I don't even know why I try to do a rotation. I only got about 8 days into this one before having to readjust! Monday I did the Pull only premix and didn't do the deadlifts at all. Tuesday my back still hurt so I went to the pool and did 20 minutes of water "jogging" and the hot tub for 10 minutes. My back hurt in the pool when I tried to swim laps, but treading water was ok. Then I went to lunch and bridge with my mom's group since she is sick. So I sat for 5 hours in a row on Tuesday.

Wednesday I called off work for my back and went to see a GP here. I got a PT prescription and go today at noon to see my PT. She ordered some anti-inflammatory medicine that's easier on the stomach (Meloxicam) which seems to be helping a little. She said she thinks the SI joint on the left side is inflamed and the muscles around it, too. I've been doing my right sided stretches on the left, too. She ordered an x-ray if I think I need it. I'll see what PT says. If he wants an x-ray I'll get one.

I didn't work out yesterday and got an excuse to be off work until next week. Honestly, I'd rather be working than have this issue!

Where are you going on Friday? Out to Cali? I commend your weights on your last STS workout-85lb. barbell! I don't think I'd even be able to pick that up! Are you sure your weight isn't muscular? Plus all the water going into the muscles? You may be better off doing measurements to track instead of the scale. I think cardio shred is what hurt my back since I did that on Sunday morning and started having pain Sunday night. That will not be one I do again-out the window like IMAX 3 at this point. I have been able to do Intensity in the past without issue so I was hoping to add more step impact back into the mix. Oh well.

I'll let you know what PT says.

Beth

This morning I did another kick ass BR workout. These workouts are intense. I seem to get the most results from them. They do live w/o's 6 days per week and I've been following those along with the STS program. I'll probably stick with the BR lives through the end of the month and then decide if I want to stick with them or do some of their other workouts/programs. I haven't even used Cathe Live or On Demand yet. I have all the dvd's, so would really only use it for the lives as well. I'm gonna have to give some of them a try soon. I tweaked my back today doing pushups of all things. Nothing major, and I'm sure it will work itself out in a few days. I wish the weight gain was muscle, but it's not. Nice try though. This peri-menopause is killing me. I think the weight gain it's a combination of hormones, holiday eating, over eating, underactive thyroid, etc. I've been getting in my 1 gallon of water and I think that is helping. My skin looks really good too. I'm heading to Oregon tomorrow for my twin's 10th birthday. My MIL is coming with me. She is an amazing MIL, grandma and great grandma! I also have my WW weigh in tomorrow morning. I don't anticipate a big loss as I already know I'm a slow loser.

Sorry your back is still bothering you. At least you have some meds and PT that should help. Did see the low impact versions of the exercises that Cathe showed? I had to use those modifications for a long time after I tore my quadriceps tendon. I just use rotations as guideline. I do follow them, but in my own timeframe. I start on the day of the week I want, and if I miss a day or do a different w/o, then I just pick up where I left off. I never plan my rest days they just occur naturally on days I don't have time. I normally get in 6 workouts/week most weeks. I've actually done doubles all this week. Not sure about today though.

bbl

Hello!

Your workouts are awesome! I seriously can't believe they will be 10! I think we met when they were 6. Now double digits already. Enjoy your time with them. Nice your MIL can go, too. Glad you got your meds in before you travel. The thyroid affects so many systems.

I just got back from PT. I did not jam the hip into the pelvis like I did last time. This time the joint got locked in the posterior position. He unlocked it and did some muscle stretching and it feels a lot better. I am to do nothing beyond my normal stretches plus the ones he gave me for the left leg until Sat. If I feel up to anything Sat., give it a try. I'll probably go back to ICE for a bit after this set back. So we'll see where I am Sat. I am so glad I did not wait this time around.

Beth

I'm not going to have time to fit in a workout today. I'm mostly packed and will throw in the last minute items before I head out. I hope to head to my MIL's around noonish. I was down 2lbs at my WW weigh in this morning. I also do my own daily weighing. I should be able to stick to the plan while traveling. There is a lot of 0 point foods to choose from. The run/walk the other day really exasperated the plantar fasciitis. I used to so enjoy running and would like to get back to it. It may just not be in the cards for me. There are so many other things that I can do. I try to focus on what I can do instead of what I can't do.

I'm glad the PT went well for you. Did you get any indication why this particular problem tends to reoccur? ICE sounds like a great program right now. Hope your back feels better soon. Have a great weekend.

Hello!

Just checking in on the weekend. Hope you're having a great time with your family! Already down 2lbs-way to go!

I'm back at the weight I'd like to maintain. I kept a food diary for the whole week and plan to continue. Went to the pool yesterday and did intervals for my treading. I have numerous stretches now for both sides of the body. The PT did not say why this happens. He said I probably came down wrong on the SI joint and it locked. So I think it's from plyometrics on the step-since I did Shred Cardio that morning. I've been trying to slowly build up and have even done Intensity at times, but after this I doubt high intensity step cardio is in the cards for me. That's ok-Cathe has lots of other good options! I may have to bite the bullet and learn the cardio from the Low Intensity Step dvd.

Grocery shopping, cleaning, and trying to plan some meals for the week today. Safe travels!

See you soon,

Beth

Hello!

Hope your travels are going well and you make it home safely. Sat. I did the pool and felt ok. So Sun. I tried LICSS. Something must have not gone well, because my back has been killing me since then. Mon. I did the pool and felt ok. Today I go back to PT at 11. If I feel like I do now, I may not be able to work. So of course I worried about it all night. I think I locked up again. Still stretching, but getting discouraged. I wish I hadn't even tried cardio supersets.

On the plus side, I have not been able to sit much so have been dusting and cooking a lot! Made two soups and a cabbage/veg. salad and have been trying to not snack.

I'm supposed to work tonight. I'll let you know what happens at PT.

Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.