Jack LaLane passes away....

JT

Cathlete
When I was a little girl, 3-4 years old, I used to exercise with my Mom watching our black & white TV doing the workouts.
Mr. LaLane started something big....You will be missed.

Same here. My mother always gave me my own chair to workout along side her. I have the fondest memories of Jack.
RIP

Mr. Lalanne was one of the first to introduce weight training into the lives of women...it simply wasn't done at the time...we owe him an enormous debt of gratitude.

Here are some of his amazing feats...thank you for the inspiration Jack!!

1956 Age 42: Set a world record of 1,033 pushups in 23 minutes on “You Asked for It, a TV Show with Art Baker.

1957 Age 43: Swam the treacherous Golden Gate Channel, towing a 2,500-pound cabin cruiser. This involved fighting the cold, swift ocean currents that made the 1 mile swim a 6 ½ mile test of strength and endurance.

1958 Age 44: Maneuvered a paddleboard 30 miles, 9-½ hours non-stop from Farallon Islands to the San Francisco shore.

1959 Age 45: Completed 1,000 pushups and 1,000 chin-ups in 1 hours and 22
minutes. “Happy” is born and The Jack LaLanne Show goes nationwide

1974 Age 60: Swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman’s Wharf, for a second time handcuffed, shackled and towing a 1,000-pound boat.

1975 Age 61: Swam the length of the Golden Gate Bridge, underwater, for a second time handcuffed, shackled and towing a 1,000-pound boat.

1976 Age 62: Commemorating the “Spirit of ‘76”, swam 1 mile in Long Beach Harbor, handcuffed, shackled and towing 13 boats (representing the 13 original colonies) containing 76 people.

1979 Age 65: Towed 65 boats filled with 6,500-pounds of Lousiana Pacific wood pulp while handcuffed and shackled in Lake Ashinoko, near Tokyo, Japan.

1980 Age 66: Towed 10 boats in North Miami, Florida filled with 77 people for over a mile in less than 1 hour.

1984 Age 70: Handcuffed, shackled and fighting strong winds and currents, towed 70 boats with 70 people from the Queen’s Way Bridge in the Long Beach Harbor to the Queen Mary, 1 ½ miles.

Carry Jack LaLanne in your heart today

I'm dedicating my workout today to Jack! STS Total Body is on my calendar in a very fitting way. I hope to one day embody Jack's philososophy in mind and body!
Goodbye, Jack, and thanks!!!!;)
Nancy

I am older than most on this site, and I remember well when his black-and-white exercize show came on TV on the ABC network, in 1959. His life is documented in this Wiki article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_LaLanne

My late mom thought, at the time, the exercize show was revolutionary -- at she was, as common at the time, a stay-at-home mom. And Mr. LaLanne was a fit, atheletic man. She started exercizing with him regularly. I must say, that I remember that the exercize routines that he did on TV were ridiculously easy. In today's terminology, it would be below a "beginner's" level.
-- David

JT, I have the same sort of memory -- watching Jack with my mom on our B&W TV.

Gillian, Thanks for the list of feats. I had forgotten about Happy!

David, Yes as I recall, the exercises were quite easy, and yet most of the time my mother just watched him instead of participating!

He was an inspiration, and will be missed here.

I'm dedicating my workout today to Jack! STS Total Body is on my calendar in a very fitting way. I hope to one day embody Jack's philososophy in mind and body!
Goodbye, Jack, and thanks!!!!;)
Nancy
doing the same here...RIP JLL!

Rest In Peace Jack

I dedicated this morning's workout to fitness icon Jack LaLanne. God Bless Him! He was always an ongoing source of inspiration to me and I will miss him dearly!

What an amazing life to live as vital and energetic as he did till 96... May all of us be so blessed....Good idea Cathe, I think I'll dedicate my bootcamp this evening to him and do some of his signature moves:)

WE CELEBRATE YOU JACK!!!!

Jack LaLanne's enthusiasm for exercise was contagious--that's what made his TV show so successful for decades. His message of how much better you feel when you take care of yourself thru better food & regular fitness helped millions of ordinary people.

He was ahead of his time and a true legend. RIP Jack. :(

G-d bless the man. I will be blessed to be half as strong at age 70. :) I was just reading all his accomplishments. Love what he said, "if man made it don't eat it" lol

I watched him on TV in the early '70's

I dedicated this morning's workout to fitness icon Jack LaLanne. God Bless Him! He was always an ongoing source of inspiration to me and I will miss him dearly!

He was the only source for workouts back then. Cathe, did you ever get to meet him?

I love that quote KellyMarie....that gave me an idea to celebrate him here are some other quotes I found....

"I do it as a therapy. I do it as something to keep me alive. We all need a little discipline. Exercise is my discipline. "
Jack LaLanne

"If you've got a big gut and you start doing sit-ups, you are going to get bigger because you build up the muscle. You've got to get rid of that fat! How do you get rid of fat? By changing your diet. "
Jack LaLanne

"Probably millions of Americans got up this morning with a cup of coffee, a cigarette and a donut. No wonder they are sick and fouled up."
Jack LaLanne

I remember LaLanne while my mom was exercising with him as well. I use to do sit ups and leg lifts with the both of them as a young girl.

He is an Icon for fitness and health and started a movement that was so inspiring.

Janie

No I was truly hoping to meet him at the Fitness Hall of Fame ceremony in March. I'm sure we will all do something to honor him that weekend.

It at least makes me happy when I think that he is now in heaven keeping our beloved ones healthy and fit. I bet they are all sitting around enjoying one of his juicer elixirs right now :)

He was the only source for workouts back then. Cathe, did you ever get to meet him?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.