I've lost the will to live...

Phew, glad we are talking about popcorn here! i was worried for a second.

As far as staples in the microwave, I'm thinking that's not a good idea. I'll have to ask DH about that when he gets home. He's the king of knowing what will explode in the microwave - probably from personal experience.

Ha! I knew it! I KNEW this was about popcorn -- LMAO!!

Nance, my understanding is that you actually have to sniff it for it to be harmful -- like sticking your nose in the bag and sniffing. I say eat your Smart Pop and enjoy it! That's what I intend to do:) :p

>As far as staples in the microwave, I'm thinking that's not a
>good idea. I'll have to ask DH about that when he gets home.
>He's the king of knowing what will explode in the microwave -
>probably from personal experience.

:7 :7 :7 :7 :7

Wow. Who knew. Homemade microwave popcorn. But I like Ame's "instructions" about the olive oil better than the butter.

I'll have to look for "popcorn salt" in the store.

This might just work! :eek: (But I still think you need the staples to keep the bag closed).

>Wow. Who knew. Homemade microwave popcorn. But I like Ame's "instructions" about the olive oil better than the butter. Still not sure how to get the salt on there, though.

I like Ame's instructions better, too, but I would call your attention to the instructions on folding the bag over 3 times to seal it rather than using staples.

>I like Ame's instructions better, too, but I would call your
>attention to the instructions on folding the bag over 3 times
>to seal it rather than using staples.

Good point, Michele. Maybe that would be enough to keep everything in. I'll give it a try and see what happens. We need a new microwave anyway.

Oh, I just want to add that for those of you (normal people) who eat microwave popcorn occasionally, I doubt there is anything to worry about. I just think there is a risk for someone (weird) like me who eats the stuff every single day.

Nance, I lasted precisely 48 hours without my Orville fix. I then decided to live on the edge and keep making it. Except now, instead of making it in my office's microwave, I take it downstairs to a vending area, nuke it there, and then hold the bag far away from me as I let the steam out.

I dunno. I've given up booze, almost all of my cigs, pork rinds, ice cream, salt and chastity. That's enough sacrifice. We all gotta die of something, and if popcorn lung is my death knell, so be it.

A-jock

Yes, two staples is okay to microwave. Really. Alton Brown said so, and I've done it. Pop on!:9

ETA: Alton Brown received so much angry mail about this that he wrote it up in his first cook book. Here's what he said:
QUOTE---------------------------------------
THE GREAT POPCORN CONTROVERSY
I wish to defend myself against the charges of microwave abuse. A couple of years ago on a certain television program, I made microwave popcorn from scratch, using plain popping corn, a little olive oil, and salt in a small paper bag sealed with not one, not three, but two standard office staples.
Well, despite the fact tha I had tested this in no fewer than ten different ovens, and despite the fact that the product was delicious and cheaper than dirt, I received tons of angry mail. People were just sure that their housed would explode.
No. Relax. It's okay.
As long as you're using a microwave oven with a turntable and you don't place the bag where the staples can rub against one of the walls, nothing bad will happen. This is because the staples have very little mass and they are shorter than the microwaves themselves, which

LOL, I had no idea what she was going to talk about in her original post, but I saw she was responding to people's responses, so I figured we had some time to talk her off the ledge. :)

OMG if you make me have popcorn for dinner tonight, Nance, I will send you my next dentist bill. }( :9

Well that title gets attention.

I bought a bowl that makes microwave popcorn. I think it's by Hamilton Beach or Proctor-Silex. I put a 1/4 cup of kernals in the bottom with no oil or grease. It's great. Then I add my own goodies, butter, parmesan cheese, oregano... time to hit the vending machine for popcorn

I saw this on the news, and the problem was with people who worked around popcorn and breathed the vapors all the time, like in the movie theater. I also saw on the news that microwave popcorn makers were going to take the additive out of their products voluntarily. So you might just be okay!

Instead of staples you could probably use plastic closepins or plastic paper clips. Anything plastic that would keep it together. I am going to give this a try. Thanks for the "recipe" Amy!

Amy,

I've been doing my popcorn in a paper bag in the microwave since I saw it recommended on "America's Test Kitchens" a while back. I just fold the top of the bag real tight.

I tell people that's how I do it, and they think I'm nuts. But, it just tastes better and it gives me control of the fat, the salt, and it's just a lot more natural...not to mention so much cheaper!

(BTW...Nancy, don't EVER give one of your posts a title like that again!!!! I was afraid to open it. I'm serious. You scared the crap out of me!!!! )

Natalie, it's going to take some time before the chemical is out of the product. Redenbacher in particular didn't give a date. At first I thought it was a hazard only to workers as well, but then I read about the guy who ate 2 bags a day for 10 years and developed a serious lung condition.

Again, though, if you eat microwave popcorn once per week, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

>Nance, I lasted precisely 48 hours without my Orville fix. I
>then decided to live on the edge and keep making it. Except
>now, instead of making it in my office's microwave, I take it
>downstairs to a vending area, nuke it there, and then hold the
>bag far away from me as I let the steam out.
>
>I dunno. I've given up booze, almost all of my cigs, pork
>rinds, ice cream, salt and chastity. That's enough sacrifice.
> We all gotta die of something, and if popcorn lung is my
>death knell, so be it.
>
>A-jock

A-jock,
Finally! A fellow addict! Do you also have a bag-a-day habit?

tpf, I'm really sorry. I'm known for being a bit of a drama queen, and I've been around the Cathe boards for so many hundreds of years, it didn't occur to me that people would be actually be scared when they saw MY name next to the thread. I promise to be a little less dramatic next time (although of course TO ME, this is the disaster of the CENTURY, more or less :p :+ ).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.