I've lost the will to live...

nancy324

Cathlete
...without my Orville Redenbacher Smartpop POPCORN. ;( ;( ;( I buy it by the carton and eat a bag almost every night. Now I'm afraid to make it for fear of filling my apartment with lung-destroying vapors.

Love the low calories. Love the low fat. Love the high fiber. Love the whole grain. Love that it takes so long to eat. Love that it's a good source of salt (my blood pressure is on the very low side of normal). All in all, it's the perfect snack for me.

I looked, but they don't make Smartpop without butter flavoring. I tried a bag of Redenbacher "light natural" popcorn last night and it tasted like salty grease. Yuck.

What's a popcorn addict to do??? Is anyone else going through this?

Catherine, you are so sweet, and I'm sorry for scaring you. Do you know for sure that the butter spray isn't harmful? Maybe it's the heating that makes the diacetyl harmful? I just don't know. :(

Did you know you could (I said "could"!) make your own microwave popcorn?

Basically, put some kernels into a paper lunch sack, with 2 staples and then microwave it.

I'll go find the instructions...

What a relief!!!! It's about popcorn.

I don't snack on popcorn. Instead, I eat edamame (de-shelled ones)by the bags. They are yummie.

Gotta admit, Nancy, you got me, too, with your thread title. Glad it's only about popcorn! (Did I just say "only" popcorn? Sorry!) I love popcorn, too, but I don't have a particular brand preference, so I'm afraid I can't be very helpful. I only caught this story briefly. It's any butter-flavored microwaveable popcorn that's no good, right?

[font face="heather" font color=brick red size=+2]~Cathy [/font face] http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/4.gif
"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." -George Sheehan

Cathy, almost every box on the shelf at the store has artificial butter flavoring (except Newman makes a natural flavor, but it's got loads of fat and calories).

And shame on you using the word "only" in the same sentence with the word "popcorn"! :eek: ;)

>Did you know you could (I said "could"!) make your own
>microwave popcorn?
>
>Basically, put some kernels into a paper lunch sack, with 2
>staples and then microwave it.
>
>I'll go find the instructions...

Ame two words: AS IF. :7
But I may just be desperate enough....

>Cathy, almost every box on the shelf at the store has
>artificial butter flavoring (except Newman makes a natural
>flavor, but it's got loads of fat and calories).

Thanks, Nancy...I confess, I usually just go for light or fat-free popcorn and never paid all that much mind to what exactly is in it.

>And shame on you using the word "only" in the same sentence
>with the word "popcorn"! :eek: ;)

I know, I know! *lol*

My big indulgence is movie theater popcorn (sans butter). I'm sure I don't wanna know how bad it is for me!

[font face="heather" font color=brick red size=+2]~Cathy [/font face] http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/4.gif
"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." -George Sheehan

>Okay, so I know how to get attention. When Janiejoey gets
>back, maybe I'll give her a lesson. ;)

oh yeah!! you got my attention!!:) Yep, sometimes you have to think outside the box, to get attention :) , I am sure this is exactly what Janiejoey will have in mind next time. I know I would!!! :) :)

Seriously Nance. It's putting popcorn into a bag and stapling the bag. NO COOKING OR ANYTHING CLOSE TO IT.

You just need to start the microwave; I know you can do that much! :) :9

ETA: Did you notice I did *not* say "I'll find the recipe"?? Because it isn't cooking. Or anything close to it.

1/4 cup good quality popcorn
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or popcorn salt
Sprinkle jalapeno seasoning mix
Paper lunch bag
Stapler

Toss the popcorn with the olive oil, salt, and jalapeno seasoning mix in the paper bag. Fold the top of the bag over and staple the bag twice to close. Place the bag in the microwave and microwave on high for 2 minutes to 3 minutes, or until there are about 5 seconds between pops.
NOTE: Popcorn salt is a super-fine salt that is designed especially for sticking to food such as popcorn. It has the taste of regular table salt, but its granules are much finer.

I've never had it exactly like this; I've always just stuck the kernels in the bag and stapled it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.