IUD Question

lindzebird

Cathlete
Hi,

Has anyone here gotten pregnant after removal of an IUD? I posted my delimma over under the pregnancy board, but I was hoping someone out there would have had an experience with how fast you can get pregnant after the removal of an IUD.

Thanks,
Lindzebird

I currently have one and was told that I could definitely get pregnant after it is removed. I get pregnant so easy that I am afraid I will get pregnant while it is in! So far so good! It's been over a year.
Bobbi

I'm a med transcriptionist and I'm constantly typing on women with IUDs. I know I have typed the answer to your question, but I can't remember right off hand. If I type a report today with the answer before someone else answers, I'll be sure to post it.

Not only do they exist, but they are very very popular right now. I'm a med transcripionist for OB docs and I bet I type at LEAST 1 note per day with a woman coming in for insertion of a Mirena IUD. They are very popular right now. It can be left in for 5 years and a lot of women will experience cessation of menses which sounds good to me, but I have no need for contraception.

Yep, they do. I had a copper T, with NO hormone so I still had a period. They are nice, nothing to remember (or forget) and no bad side effects. The one I had could be in place for up to ten years.

I've actually looked into going into medical transcription; I would love to hear how you got involved and if you enjoy it etc. I type the class transcriptions for my husband medical classes (he's currently a second year med student at Washington University in St. Louis) and have taken a few courses in medical terminology, but hesitate because I'm not sure what it would entail. I would love to hear your experience with it.
Lindzebird

Hmmmm maybe this is something I should look into. I have wicked endometriosis (as if there's a good kind LOL), will it help that?

IUD's can be tricky though, because they are placed in the unterus and irritate the lining, there is the potential for permanent damage. of course, technology and all that has advanced so much that i don't think there is much danger in these anymore. as long as you have a competent doctor and keep an eye on the IUD and hte uteran lining and all that, i would think things would be just dandy. as for how soon, with typical birth control pills and such you can usually start trying within a month and they recommend that you take a multivitamin to get hormone levels adjusted and all that

I got a Mirena IUD inserted in July and LOVE it. Now that I'm in my later 30's, I'm not comfortable with using the pill anymore. I haven't had a period since August. The only problem is that my IUD string has disappeared. I'm hoping that just means that it's gone inside and I didn't expel the IUD without my knowledge (thing cost $500! - covered under insurance, but I don't know if a replacement would be).

I have had a sonogram to make sure it's still there, but haven't gotten the results yet.

Anyway...from everything I've read, you can become pregnant immediately after having it removed.

>I got a Mirena IUD inserted in July and LOVE it. Now that
>I'm in my later 30's,

Me too on all accounts :) Altho my string hasn't disappeared YIKES.

Colleen

I'm not sure, but there are some IUD with hormones which may help. That is the kind my sister has, and she loves it. I'd check with your OB.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.