Its not PC but I HATE Xmas Cake

Marion,
I actually love fruitcake. Lots of nuts and cherries. Now I did spend some time in England growing up and the marzipan and hard royal icing that they put on wedding cakes was way overly sweet. The thing I make a lot for holiday gatherings is a chocolate marble cheese cake with melted bittersweet chocolate mixed with sour cream as a spread over it. I use a cake decorator and put chocolate edging with the topping and put marachino cherries in the middle and if I can I add green plastic holly or pipe out some with icing. I make them ahead and freeze them. It seems to work out well. BTW I love egg nogg as well. It is a family tradition to have it around during the holidays.
Diane Sue

I am definitely in the minority...I never met a fruitcake I didn't like. My DH feels the same way.

My friends and family give me their unwanted fruitcakes, and I'm happy to take 'em!

DH and I ate 8 fruitcakes last Christmas.

I love fruit cakes too -- but only the ones from collinstreetbakery.com

We get one from there every year and an apricot-pecan cake. Yummy when made with good ingredients. Don't buy store junk and judge fruit cakes - poor things are so maligned.

I like really expensive ones, sometimes, that are made with high quality fruit and nuts, not too sweet. I have made them myself with natural dried fruit, no artifical colors, organic flour, etc etc. and then they are like fruit nut mix held together by a bit of cake dough. I love them. But the usual commercial ones are pretty gross.

I love fruitcake too! My granny would make them and mail them to us here in Floida. The recipe is extremely complicated, has many steps, and takes forever, but they are absolutely delicious. Before she died she made 2 kinds, a dark one and a light one.

Lori

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.