It's enough to make you feel OLD!

kathryn

Cathlete
Now, I usually don't think 51 is old (though when I was turning 50, I did feel down about it because I suddenly noticed all these messages about "if you're 50 or older" you have to be careful about somethings. And I got an AARP membership offer---which I took up, for the discounts!--in the mail).

I just got my mail today, and included in it were the following two "makes you feel old"' pieces:
1)an announcement "funeral advantage program assists seniors" (I'm a senior?), inviting me to sign up for a plan that would pay my family up to $20,000 tax free in the event of my death.

2)publicity for a long-term care insurance, to pay for nursiing home or at-home health-care costs (actually, this second one might not be a bad idea)

Where's my Geritol?:confused:

Kathryn, I'm right there with ya! I'll be 52 in March...I also joined AARP for the discounts (though it felt somewhat freaky actually receiving the invitation to join). The nursing home insurance thing is a pretty good idea, though...my dad's in a nursing home and it is extremely expensive...I haven't received an offer for anything like that yet, but I may have to look into that one!

I know what you mean, though...I certainly don't feel "old" (at least most days I don't)!! :)

I know what you mean, though...I certainly don't feel "old" (at least most days I don't)!! :)

I don't either (well...until I look in a mirror, and don't recognize that 'older woman' as me. Aren't I still 30? Maybe 35, but not older than that!)

The hearing aid offers will be showing up soon!

I've already gotten some catalogs with incontenence products! :confused: (But I've gotten those for quite a while--I must have ended up on a mailing list for health-care products when I bought something that 'older' people buy, but I can't recall what it was).

Kathryn,

I just turned 53 in December - I got my AARP card application six months before I turned 50! I know what you mean about the advertising we get in the mail

It wasn't that long ago I was getting baby coupons and sample diapers in the mail. Now, it seems I receive sample Depends and coupons for Geritol! HA-HA-HA! Really that isn't funny.

I feel as though I am no older than 30, except when I look in the mirror. It seems everyday something new pops up on my face (wrinkles). I always thought this wasn't suppose to happen to the baby boomers.

I will stick with the slogan "You are only as young as you feel."

Working out has really helped with defying some of the oldies, but certainly it isn't a fountain of youth.

By the way, I absolutely LOVE reading all of your informative posts!

Cheryl

I don't either (well...until I look in a mirror, and don't recognize that 'older woman' as me. Aren't I still 30? Maybe 35, but not older than that!)

I got an invitation for a 30th high school reunion this year -- pah! Ridiculous -- I am still a kid!!!

I got carded last week at Whole Foods -- thank you Cathe, thank you Coach Sean, thank you Chalene.

-Beth

Kathryn, if your avatar is a recent picture of you, then 50 is the new 20, for cryin' out loud! If you are 50, then I want to be 50 too! Like now!

The AARP is all about marketing and money. Their age for joining used to be 60 or 65, but there's more money in it for them if they can get people to join when they are younger - so in recent years they decided that 50 is "senior."

They also keep their membership dues very low - they want to get as many people to join as possible so then they have a chance to sell them stuff like nursing home insurance - that's where the money is!

As you can see I don't think much of the AARP!

Kidding aside, I'm 47 now and plan to invest in long term care insurance at age 55. When my late mother fell sick I saw up close the difference in the kind of options elderly holders of ltci get vs. those who don't have it and it's an frightening case of The Haves vs. Have Nots. And if you wait too long you won't even be able to get it. There's no way I'm going into my later years without long term care insurance.

Yea, getting older is weird. Being simultaneously concerned about long term care insurance and if others think you're too old to get your navel pierced! Wow. I think I just settled THAT question :p.

Kidding aside, I'm 47 now and plan to invest in long term care insurance at age 55. When my late mother fell sick I saw up close the difference in the kind of options elderly holders of ltci get vs. those who don't have it and it's an frightening case of The Haves vs. Have Nots.

Sadly, I saw this first hand myself. The last few weeks of my mother's life. She had survived an aortic aneurysm. Unfortunately, they performed a tracheotomy to save her life. She had years of acid reflux, so when they went to remove the trach tube, her throat collapsed. They had to keep the trach tube in. She recovered enough she needed to moved out of the hospital, but needed 24 hour care.

I cried after leaving each and every care facility that was within her budget. I looked at a few that were for people with money and they were very nice. They looked like a vacation resort.
If you are middle class or below, the care and the facilities are horrendous. They line the halls with elderly people in wheel chairs. The look on their faces was burned into my memory. It was like they wish they were dead.
I thank God he spare our family. My mother died before we had to move her. It's true, God never puts more on you than you can handle. I feel God knew I couldn't handle putting my mother in one of those places.

Kathyrn,

Many people are old at 50. You only have to visit Wal-Mart to see how true it is. But you're not one of them.

Shari

I'll be turning 45 this year and I feel like a leapard. I don;'t get the same looks that I once did just 5 years ago. Not that I look old, just not young and perky. But, I think that my mojo is coming back now that I've been doing Cath'e workouts and Slim in six (mix it up)! I also took my geritol today! Don't forget that you are as young as you feel! And 50 is the new 40. And 45 is the new 35!

Kathryn, if your avatar is a recent picture of you, then 50 is the new 20, for cryin' out loud! If you are 50, then I want to be 50 too! Like now!
Nope, it's about 3 years old. And it's a VERY good picture (sudued lighting, etc.).
I plan to put up a more recent one, but I can't get one I like.
I may leave that one up until I'm 70!
Or if I feel too guilty about 'lying,' I'll use one of my cat photos as an avatar!

Kathryn,

I'm 6 years older than you. I feel great so far! No pains, creaking or...anything to feel old about. Except my hair, it's grey and it is what it is. Don't want chemicals near my brain, it's hard enough as is. I may forget a little more than usual, but other than that, I'm healthier and fitter than most people my age.

Love your avatar too, you look awesome.

Janie
]
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

I just threw the AARP invitation to join away - 2 days ago. I figured they would send another "invitation" again someday. Right now, I'm not ready to flash an AARP card to get a discount. I turned 50 last September. I think once you join, you're up to be hounded by ads for the "elderly". Not ready for that either.

I've been receiving ads for years now, probably since I was 45, to look at a ritzy retirement community in the area. It actually looks really nice. But I'm sure I couldn't afford it. I wonder what their age minimum is that they would solicit a 45-year old?

I think the general public thinks 50 is old, but we know better. And they would be darn surprised by what we can do!

Diane

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.