Issues with SB and C&W

erinw

Cathlete
I did SB this morning, and for the second time in recent weeks, it got stuck around the 44:00 mark. This is right after we finished the first blast in the blast challenge and we are starting to review the earlier choreography again. I couldn't get it working, so I had to skip to blast #3 and go ahead and end the workout. I did clean my DVD player prior to use, and I checked the disk for scratches. I have similar issues with C&W. It always gets stuck in one of two places: the bicep work, or the tricep work. I am very frustrated as I love both these workouts. I do clean my DVD player regularly. I am hoping someone here can remind me the tips that have previously been posted about how to clean discs. Thanks in advanee for the help!

I had the same issue with one of my DVD's and emailed the vendor I purchased it from (it was a very recent purchase) - she emailed me back with the information below. Even after doing all this, I still had the issue - UNTIL I switched to another DVD player!!! So in the end, it was not the DVD, but the player!

HTH!

Cleaning and repairing DVDs
If you notice problems when playing a disc, you may be able to correct them with a simple cleaning.
• Do not use strong cleaners, abrasives, solvents, or acids.
• With a soft, lint-free cloth, wipe gently in only a radial direction (a straight line between the hub and the rim). Since the data is arranged circularly on the disc, the micro scratches you create when cleaning the disc (or the nasty gouge you make with the dirt you didn't see on your cleaning cloth) will cross more error correction blocks and be less likely to cause unrecoverable errors).
• Don't use canned or compressed air, which can be very cold and may thermally stress the disc.
• For stubborn dirt or gummy adhesive, use water, water with mild soap, or isopropyl alcohol. As a last resort, try peanut oil. Let it sit for about a minute before wiping it off.
• Try Lemon Pledge. It sometimes works wonders on problem DVDs.
• There are commercial products that clean discs and provide some protection from dust, fingerprints, and scratches. Cleaning products labeled for use on CDs work as well as those that say they are for DVDs.

>I had the same issue with one of my DVD's and emailed the
>vendor I purchased it from (it was a very recent purchase) -
>she emailed me back with the information below. Even after
>doing all this, I still had the issue - UNTIL I switched to
>another DVD player!!! So in the end, it was not the DVD, but
>the player!
>
>HTH!
>
>Cleaning and repairing DVDs
>If you notice problems when playing a disc, you may be able to
>correct them with a simple cleaning.
>• Do not use strong cleaners, abrasives, solvents, or acids.
>• With a soft, lint-free cloth, wipe gently in only a radial
>direction (a straight line between the hub and the rim). Since
>the data is arranged circularly on the disc, the micro
>scratches you create when cleaning the disc (or the nasty
>gouge you make with the dirt you didn't see on your cleaning
>cloth) will cross more error correction blocks and be less
>likely to cause unrecoverable errors).
>• Don't use canned or compressed air, which can be very cold
>and may thermally stress the disc.
>• For stubborn dirt or gummy adhesive, use water, water with
>mild soap, or isopropyl alcohol. As a last resort, try peanut
>oil. Let it sit for about a minute before wiping it off.
>• Try Lemon Pledge. It sometimes works wonders on problem
>DVDs.
>• There are commercial products that clean discs and provide
>some protection from dust, fingerprints, and scratches.
>Cleaning products labeled for use on CDs work as well as those
>that say they are for DVDs.
>

What sort of soft, lint free cloth do you use? A clean towel, would that work? Or a paper towel? A clean, dry washcloth?

>What sort of soft, lint free cloth do you use? A clean towel,
>would that work? Or a paper towel? A clean, dry washcloth?
>
>

Don't use a paper towel (they may seem 'soft', but they aren't). I use the same type of cloth I would use on my glasses: usually a microfiber cleaning cloth.

I tried the microfiber cloth on both SB and C&W. I can now play SB without any issues. But C&W still has problems. Thing is, I tried it on another DVD player and it works fine. It's very strange. Because if it was my player downstairs, then SB shouldn't work either even after cleaning it. Oh well. The mystery of DVD players and their idiosyncracies continues. I say Target has a TruTech player on sale this week. I have that one in my family room and it's never given me any issues, despite it's very cheap cost. I think I will pick up another one of those and try it in my basement where I exercise. Maybe I will finally be able to play C&W!

I had the same problem. Since I really enjoy both workouts I was concerned I was going to have to buy them again. Instead by chance I switched DVD players and no problem--both play fine.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.