Is this your hair salon experience too?

I have curly hair and I've yet to meet a stylist who sends me away without looking like Roseanne Roseanneadanna. I warn them ahead of time that it will get frizzy if they're not careful but I swear they don't believe me. Unfortunately there are no good curly hair stylists within 100 miles of where I live. Now I just usually tell them to put some product in it and I'll just style it when I get home. I bring a cap with me and if I have any running around to do I put the cap on and I'm all set. Sad, but true. I cut it myself until I can't stand it and then every 8 months to a year I'll go in and get a real cut.

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

I have only been dissatisfied once with my stylist. Last month, she cut my hair a tad bit TOO short for my liking, BUT she was really sick that day, so I chalked it up to her having a bad day. It happens. Normally, though, I *love* what she does with my hair and wish I could get it to look as good as that on my own! I can come close, but it's never salon-perfect. That being said, I wouldn't keep going back to someone who continually botched my hair. Gisela, maybe ask around to your friends (those who have good hair, in your opinion) for a recommendation. And I agree w/ all that the salon mirrors are not kind...

~Cathy :)

Those who indulge...bulge!

http://www.cartooncottage.com/images/scalestranslil.gif

This happens to me all the time too. When I get home, my husband always asks, "well, how did it turn out" and I always respond, "I won't know until tomorrow when I style it myself".

I'm glad I'm not the only one!
Shelbygirl

OMG, this just happened to me on Friday. I actually liked my hair this time, right after the stylist finished blow drying my hair and then she says "now I'm going to do some dry cutting" and she took out these thinning shears and went around my entire head. I started breaking out in a sweat, thinking WHAT IS SHE DOING? Instead of saying, NO-STOP, I just let her keep at it, thinking she knows better than I do. I looked like Mrs. Brady coming home, you know, poufy on top, really thin on the bottom with an annoying flippy thingy. Wait until the humid weather comes, it's not going to be pretty!

>OMG, this just happened to me on Friday. I actually liked my
>hair this time, right after the stylist finished blow drying
>my hair and then she says "now I'm going to do some dry
>cutting" and she took out these thinning shears and went
>around my entire head. I started breaking out in a sweat,
>thinking WHAT IS SHE DOING? Instead of saying, NO-STOP, I
>just let her keep at it, thinking she knows better than I do.
>I looked like Mrs. Brady coming home, you know, poufy on top,
>really thin on the bottom with an annoying flippy thingy.
>Wait until the humid weather comes, it's not going to be
>pretty!

Oh my! This sounds horrible. My new haircut is just one week away and reading this is just too scary. I hope your hair grows back soon.

I am the only one who knows how to control my thick, curly hair. I have trained all of my hairdressers to never come after me with a blow dryer. My hair and blow dryers do not agree. Frizz is the result. With air drying, I at least get curl definition. In the dead of winter, my hairdresser begs to dry it, but I run out the door, saying I'm in a hurry. He already makes me look like June Cleaver by curling under my bangs (which I usually straigthen). It is hard for me to find a person who can deal with my bangs. When wet, their first inclination is to shrink up. So at home, I always flatten them out. It fills me with dread to see my current colorist overcombing them across my head or attacking them with a curling iron. But just as others in this discussion, I know I can go home and fix them. And I always carry a funky hat to wear home in case in case my hair looks really terrible and I have to stop somewhere.

That said, once I correct it, it's fine (even lovely) until the next month.

But I just moved, and I'm still looking for someone who can cut, chip, and texturize my bangs so they don't look so heavy and shrunken. Does anyone else have fussy bangs? My former hairdresser knew how to make them look wispy and sexy, so I travel 50 miles one way just to see her for bang treatment. I won't let my colorist in my new area touch them after what he did a year ago! I tried another hair dresser, but she had no sense of art whatsoever about thick, curly hair and made me look like a little boy. Right now, my former hairdresser is trying to teach my husband how to trim them so that I won't have to go through this search process every time I move. My bangs need a trim every 3-4 weeks. Oh, the drama of having tricky hair!
Manmohini

Manmohini, I used to think I had tricky hair too, but there really are stylists out there who can handle your hair and make it work for you. Oh, how I wish I had known that sooner. So many wasted years hating my hair! x(

Nancy,
I just moved to Wichita, Kansas. How does one go about finding a good stylist there? I tried two reputable ones but they did not have the touch at all. I have had good stylists in the past who understood my hair, but I move around so much!
Manmohini

So glad I am not the only one. I have even taken to blow drying my own hair at the salon now - of course I only do this after I have known the stylist for awhile and then they know how messed up my hair is. Usually when I do the blow dry I can tell immediately if any touch-up is necessary like bangs being to long etc.

I love the way my hair looks every time I go get it done. I always feel so good walking out of there. I found a girl who does it perfect every time. If you're not happy, definitely try someone else or somewhere else.

It costs enough money these days, I would be really upset if I paid all that money and didn't like it. :(

Ooops, sorry, Manmohini. I guess I've been spoiled by living in NYC. I can see how it might be difficult to find a really talented stylist in Wichita, Kansas.
Nancy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.