Is this for real?

My brother is going down to Louisana to do electrical work today. He just got back Saturday morning from there to only be called back so soon. They say it is horrible down there, it is like a battle ground. My brother said the man who called him back said there were 200 police officers that turned in their badges because it was so bad. Some how this has been handled all wrong! Now my brother has got to go and risk his life. He is even taking 2 rifles with him. He was told to do that! where did this go wrong? It is so bad that people that want to help are being driven away by fear. Don't get me wrong, those people are suffering terribly and are panicing. I guess I have mixed emotions about this, concerning the victims and people who are trying to help. This is all so sad!

I called my brother down there to tell him good-bye and be safe, and he said to pray for him.

Also he said that they aren't even showing the price of gas, and people are lined up for miles to get gas.

Pray for my brother and all the workers down there.

kim

It's such a sad situation...awful enough w/o the violence...adding the violence in only makes it even more horrifying. I will keep your brother in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he returns home safely.

It does seem like the violent conditions have improved somewhat, and they are able to get into areas they could not before, so hopefully he will be OK. I think that the mental anquish will be hard to deal with though. He will probably need your support dealing with that.

Mayor Nagin was just on 60 Minutes. He said two police officers committed suicide due to the situation. I'm not making this up...those words came from his mouth. They reported that every house that was under water will have to be searched for bodies.

The worst is yet to come, I'm afraid.

I went to my mothers house tonight and she said that my brothers wife went back down with him! I think that is stupid with the conditions down there! I am really getting angry about this now! What is going on!! It should of never been this hard!

Sorry, I really wanted to let some frustration go, and I am not finished! These people should of had help by now, but officers and helpers should not be dying either!! I am so worried for all the help, the people stranded and my brother! They should be able to go down there and be there for the people and start putting a half way normal life again!

I have to get away from this computer for right now, I will be back later!

kim

Sorry to sound the way I do, I am frustrated with the whole situation. I appreciate all of you listening to me. I wish I knew where the glitch happened!

Thanks for listening.

kim

My younger brother (a firefighter/paramedic) just left for New Orleans this morning to help out for 30 days. What an experience that will be I'm sure. I'm glad he's going because they certainly need the help!

I missed the 60 Minutes segment with the mayor. That is such a terrible story.

There is a lot of violence going on. Criminals were shot and killed today because they are shooting at rescue operations, and shooting at engineers that are repairing a bridge.

That is outrageous. I don't care how desperate you are, or angry, whatever. That doesn't turn a person into a murderer, rapist, etc. These people were thugs before the storm hit.

I saw a male police officer thanking his fellow officers for protecting him on the "battlefield". This police officer was almost kidnapped but got away with the help of other officers.

There are now government snipers who will shoot to kill if they see criminal activity. Maybe these criminals will get the clue.

Lori

Kim and Kelly:

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your brothers.

To some of the others in the post.. hello.. a little compasion for the people whose families are going down there to help...

Lori, it just baffles me how people can be like that. Yes I know they are in a serious situation,but I think they had a little of that in them already. Like you said they were criminals to begin with. Cause there are alot of people who want to get out but are still acting like human beings. I heard that a man shot his sister over a bag of ice. Come on!! Nothing on earth could happen to me to make me kill my love ones or any one else.

I truly feel sorry for some of these people who are dying and wanting to get out and at the same time wondering if criminals will harm them. Outside of all the people commiting crime, I feel for these people. All those little children who do not understand any of this.

I hope something is done to help those people get to a dry place and have food and shelter.

kim

Kim, I am hoping that your brother stays safe. I am sure he will be fine. Things are starting to look better.

I feel the same way about the innocent. The innocent people have to be a witness to this criminal behavior.

I am also deeply saddened. I am upset and confused, and overwhelmed. I will say that I had a chance to calm down today and get a little perspective on the entire tragedy. Although I am saddened that some relief efforts were delayed, overall I am very proud of how the situation is being handled. I don't think we will abandon these people that have suffered so much. All we can do is look forward and help those that survived.

Again Kim, good luck to your brother and his family. He is very brave.

Lori

You know, I don't remember hearing any reports like this when the tsunami hit. I don't remember hearing reports like this during 9/11. In Iraq this week when they were making the pilgrimage and hundreds died, where people going around raping the survivors? I don't remember hearing those reports. So what the heck is happening here?????

I have to agree that these people were thugs to begin with. I really doubt that they are fighting for food and water, however (since when are jewelry and plasma tvs needed to be fed?). It seems to me like they just want to terrorize and cause hatred and anger. I am sorry, but if I lost both of my arms and someone tried to feed me, I would not bite off their fingers, especially if I chose to put my arms in the grinder. I have no idea what their problem is. I spoke to one of my neighbors whose brother lived in St. Bernard Parish and he said that the gangs and violence in NO were unbelievable. I think we can all see how out of hand it is if volunteers, police officers, hospital workers, rescue workers, etc. are being shot at. I hate to say it, but this sounds more like an animal's behavior than a human being's.

Missy

Hey ladies,

My brother just called and he has left to bring his wife back home because the conditions have gotten so bad. He said 10 contractors got shot on a bridge. This is starting to p*iss me off. A hurricane has started a war! My god, my brother and other workers are risking their lives just to help them! He even ask did my dh have any guns he could take back with him. Even though he does have a rifle, but it is a little hard to handle in a truck.

Ladies I am not believing I am going to say this, but I think everyone should pull out because innocent people are dying. Yes, I know there are innocent hurricane victims but what good are our men and women doing to help if they are getting shot by low down thugs. Jesus, this is making me mad!!

I hope none of you get mad at what I'm saying but I guess my worry and anger is getting the best of me. I don't understand it.

Please put a extra prayer in there for my brother and all of the workers.

kim

I just read that story about the contractors, I couldn't believe it! I will be praying for your brother, as well as everyone else who are putting themselves in harm's way to help.

Kim, I know you are sad and angry. I have heard news reports that engineers on a bridge were shot at. The cops or national guard shot the people shooting the repair workers. I believed they killed 5 or 6 shooters.

There are a lot of rumors flying around. We can't and shouldn't leave just because a bunch of thugs have guns.

Hopefully they will be able to secure the city soon.

Lori

I know what you are saying Lori, I guess I am talking out of fear. I do feel sorry for all of those innocent people. I can't imagine what they are going thru. I guess our prayers should be with them also.

I have calmed down now. I hope I am not sounding insensitive.

Thanks,

kim

I was up late, pinned to my computer trying to find out what happened, especially after the helicopter crash...

One of the reports regarding the attack on the contractors explained that the neighborhood in which this happened was a pretty bad section (violence, crime, drugs, gangs, etc.) of the city, and that was the way it was BEFORE the disaster. I am hoping that this is the contributing factor to this incident because I can't imagine why anyone would try to kill people who are trying to help.

There are a lot of good people stuck in a bad situation and I hope they aren't punished because of a few bad apples. It's in times of crisis that true character comes out - and I think that holds for the criminals, too, unfortunately. If you look, there are also stories about people sacrificing for others and banding together to help one another. It's those people who will rebuild the community and those people that need our help.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.