Is this a particularly bad allergy season?

nancy324

Cathlete
I don't usually get allergies, but I finally faced reality today: I've been suffering from sinus headaches, sneezing and itchy eyes for the past few weeks. I'm unproductive at work, have lost all interest in working out, and am in a perpetual bad mood. Is this allergy season? Is it a particularly bad one? Is anyone else who doesn't usually have allergies suffering? Thanks.

I think it is in the Northeast anyway. My DH suffers from allergies at this time of the year and they started about 2 weeks earlier than normally. He is a mess. His usually lasts until 4th of July so we are in for a tough month and more. He is sneezing, headachy, cranky and his eyes are a mess. He is taking all sorts of medications and nothing is really helping. He has an appointment with an allergist who has some new kind of revolutionary treatment that people have been saying really works. Truthfully I just sort of stay out of his way and agree with anything he says. Normally he is such an easygoing guy.

Thanks Phyllis! Sorry to hear about what you and your DH are going through, but I'm glad to hear it's not just me. I usually look forward to my workouts, but these days I don't give a rat's ass. About working out or anything else, for that matter. :confused:

It's definitely been one of the worst in the last few years for me. Lots of sneezing, runny nose, headaches and yes fatigue. Yuk! Of course I always forget to take anything :rolleyes:

Someone in my office told me Zyrtec works great for her, but she has to take it every day. I'm going to start taking it tomorrow. Maybe then my DH can cancel his appointment with the divorce lawyer.

I hate to say this but it helps my DH for awhile and then he has to switch to Claritin and on and on. He has had prescription medication which was no better. Now he takes Zyrtex (?), uses a neti pot, drops in his eyes--Patanol. It is a prescription drug. He recently bought a nasal spray from Australia by Weleda which people has said works. Hope you have better luck than he does. He just developed this about 10 years ago. Before that he had no allergies at all.

Apparently global warming has made weeds grow like, well, weeds. So allergy season will just be getting worse and worse as the years go on. I've just noticed for the first time that I have itchy eyes outside- and I've never had allergies.

Someone in my office told me Zyrtec works great for her, but she has to take it every day. I'm going to start taking it tomorrow. Maybe then my DH can cancel his appointment with the divorce lawyer.

I have nothing to add about allergies as I don't really have them (though you can still add me to the list of miserable sick people for the past 2 weeks!) but I just had to say :D:D:D:D!

Nancy, the last line in this post cracked me up!!!! I know you are miserable but my gosh you still have such a great sense of humor about it. Well atleast I HOPE it was a joke! :eek::p;)

yes! Bad in the midwest...I have not been about to open my windows this Spring...my air conditioner is already on because I have been so sick. My neti pot is working overtime, which always help, especially after I have been outside. Hope you feel better soon!

I'm assuming it's allergies. I woke up one morning with a sore throat,( nothing horrible, didn't hurt to swallow). The next day my throat felt better but then the runny nose came and just a general feeling of misery. The misery ended but the runny nose won't leave. Sometimes it comes with a sinus headache but not always. It's mainly a runny nose and nasal drip. YUK!:(

It seems the older I get, the more I feel allergy season.

Jenn

I have nothing to add about allergies as I don't really have them (though you can still add me to the list of miserable sick people for the past 2 weeks!) but I just had to say :D:D:D:D!

Nancy, the last line in this post cracked me up!!!! I know you are miserable but my gosh you still have such a great sense of humor about it. Well atleast I HOPE it was a joke! :eek::p;)

Thanks so much, Wendy! Yes, it was a joke. Anyone who can live with me for 12 years isn't going to be deterred by a bit of allergy misery. ;)

Yes, allergies are in full bloom here, too! To the neti pot users -- can you tell me if it's fairly easy to use? And is it very gross, or just a little gross? (I deal with all manner of bodily fluids at work, but I still can't quite get into the idea of the neti pot...) And most importantly, does using it make a big difference for you?

Thanks!
Allison

So sorry to hear about your miseries, Jenn and Jenn. I just took my first Zyrtec. Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes to start working? I'm hoping to feel better for work on Tuesday, which will be my 4th day. I'm off to google.

I'm all over the neti pot. I have been "irrigating" my nose since I was 16, 23 years now. It is so much more helpful than anything else I have ever tried. I do it every evening for 2 reasons. 1) I am trying to rinse away anything I came into contact with during the day so I don't sleep all night with the allergen. And 2) I can never get all of the water out and spend a while snorting trying to move the water. I guess the 3rd reason is if I rinse my nose in the morning and then end up upside down during the day (as in downward dog) the water all comes rushing out no matter how inopportune the timing.

Another helpful habit is to shower and wash your hair before bed. If you were exposed to something like pollen it stays in your hair and you will sleep with your allergen by your nose all night.

A note...I have really bad allergies and while this makes me more comfortable it does not cure all of my ills.

Good luck,

Shayne

Yes, allergies are in full bloom here, too! To the neti pot users -- can you tell me if it's fairly easy to use? And is it very gross, or just a little gross? (I deal with all manner of bodily fluids at work, but I still can't quite get into the idea of the neti pot...) And most importantly, does using it make a big difference for you?

Thanks!
Allison

It makes a HUGE difference!!! Especially if you are going to workout - really helps open you up so you can breath! I swear by mine. I can be a little gross, especially when you have a lot of congestion...it sometimes comes out (BARF!) But, the vast majority of the time it is just water coming out...
I love it - all natural, clean, cheap...

Hi Nancy!

I haven't been in here in ages, and I happened to stumble on a thread with you in it about tea. And now allergies.

Sorry you've been feeling bad. It's good to see you even if only very briefly.

I haven't been in here in ages, and I happened to stumble on a thread with you in it about tea. And now allergies.

Sorry you've been feeling bad. It's good to see you even if only very briefly.

Hey Liane! Great to "see" you here! :D Have you surpassed my number of posts yet? :p

Oh No, she mentioned the unmentionable!

I still wake up at night sweating with shame when I remember the day you passed me. I slunk away never to return. Years later, I venture back in and what's the first thing you mention??:p:p

Can you belieeeeve I was ever *ahead*??

Seriously, we need to blabber. Send me an email or something.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.