Is there help for an older woman

sensualwordz

Cathlete
Im 61 years old and have been dieting and eating for most of my life.
I recently realized that i am a compulsive and binge eater and am trying to take care of that by having joined overeaters anonymous.
I also have excersized for probably the last 25 years of my life, but also sporadically. Like everything else, i a zealous about a fitness program till i go off it then it takes me months to get back on.
Anyway as a result i am now 160 lbs of fat, my body has totally changed and i have loose skin, with loads of sagging and wrinkling, (not talking about face) .
Is there hope for me,,,,If i can gain control over my eating again, and never binge and continue to excersize can i turn around the condition of my body...
And if so what would you recommend as a starting goal and then an eventual goal
I still work every day as a waitress and real estate agent
any help would be so very appreciated.. I need to do something

Mariah,

I'm not Cathe, and I hope you don't mind if I suggest some things to you. I'm sure Cathe will still address this, if she is able to. After I wrote this, I realized I was not on the "Open Discussion Forum", and now it's too late.

First of all congratulations for not giving up. Know it is never too late to be healthy. And you are so welcome here on the forums.

You do need to keep your binging under control. You are a brave soul by taking the necessary steps to prevent that. I applaud you for wanting and doing what you have to do to make life better for yourself. By doing so, you will live younger, breath easier, think more clearly, make better choices, and see the world in a strong but flexible new way.

Don't worry about your skin, it will fit your frame when you lose weight the proper way.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that you would like to live a healthy life and lose weight and have tone to your body. If you want more, then say it and I'll then address those concerns.

You've come to the right place to start off with. We have a very educated crowd here, that can help.

I want to inspire you more with mother and daughter Kelly and Colleen. Kelly started weight training at the age of 53, and her daughter, Colleen started training shortly after her mother. Mind you these are body builders, (and in no way I'm suggesting you do that) but Kelly looks fantastic at the age of 80 years old. Look them up on the computer for more inspiration. They are champions in more than one way. I'm just saying it is never too late, and there is always hope for anyone who wants health back into their lives.

You need a good source of information to begin with, and would like to introduce to you an e-book called "Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle". This will help in your journey of both weight and building a toned body.

Then I suggest on the "Rotation Forums", to purchase the DVD's and equipment necessary for the Beginners Rotation, and do this. You will not be able to do it at first, but that's the challenge. Keep doing it, until you are strong enough for more challenges along the way. Don't worry about it at first, just keep moving, and modify for easier steps or what ever you are doing, until you can keep up. There are lots of ways to modify. And one more suggestion, do stretching, stretching, and more stretching. Yoga is good for that and so is Cathe's Stretch DVD's.

Keep a log/journal of what you eat, and another of what you do for exercises. Keeping track of these things are very important as you will see later.

That's it, eat correctly, and get fit with Cathe, and you will be on the way to a healthy way of life.

During the process, you have us to ask questions and/vent at. You might also post this in the "Open Discussion" for more suggestions.

Know that it is not easy, you just have to know this, Good Luck,

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

http://www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

Mariah..

I am 60 years old and after 18 years of exercising religiously, I have been on a vacation for about three months. My payment for this has been an additional 15 pounds on my very small 4'11" frame. It will take me months to get it back together as you mentioned in your post.

I'm not Cathe but I have a very educated opinion about "us". Although the skin may not be 20 year old tight, there is something we can both do. First of all, maybe we should partner up and keep in touch. Since I trust this site, I will post my email.

We can both lose the excess weight in a healthy way. Right now, I have started the Best Life diet by Bob Green. We may not be able to tone up the loose skin to it's previous tightness, but we can build muscle tissue under it which will make it appear less saggy.

Truth: My buff husband literally drags me out the door to power walk nearly every morning in 34 degree temps for one mile. If we don't make it in the AM, we go in the afternoon. I look like an eskimo in the AM. But I pump hard and do it. My next step is back to Cathe alternating weights and aerobics.

If you are so inclined, my email is [email protected]

Let's do this Mariah... we can.

Donna

>Im 61 years old and have been dieting and eating for most of
>my life.
>I recently realized that i am a compulsive and binge eater and
>am trying to take care of that by having joined overeaters
>anonymous.

This is the best thing you could have done for yourself. Work the program hard and listen to what others (especially your sponsor) have to say. Don't rush yourself, be patient. You have lots of resources with the program and will know what the next step is when it is time.

Recovering from an eating disorder is more spiritual/emotional than physical. Be gentle with yourself.

And congratulations on taking such a courageous move.

I'm not Cathe but I'm 53 and turn 54 this year. I have been a compulsive eater since I was about 10. Food and self hatred almost ruined my life.

I'll never be skinny but I keep doing my balanced workouts, (strength, cardio, flexability).

I started doing Cathe workouts only about 3 years ago. I thought I was going to die. But I kept challanging myself to do what I could and march in place when I could'nt keep up. Little by little I could do more and more each day. It's a real high when you finish your first Cathe workout. You can do it. Don't compare yourself with others and reward your self in healthy ways for getting up and making your health a priority. Modifacation is a good thing and in time you'll learn your body and know when to work harder and when to be gentle on your self.

Fitness for me is a daily journey but I love how I feel when I'm strong. I'll be darned if I'm going to be old and not able to use a toilet! I'm keeping my muscles strong.

I'm only 5'3 1/2 inches. Lost a 1/4 inch along the way. :) and I struggle to stay between 145 and 150 but without my almost daily workouts I'd be 170 easy. If I stop, weight piles back on faster than I can believe but that's just the way it is for me.

I think a law called Title 9 came in after we grew up. We pre Title 9 gals need to support each other.

Cathe has a great forum. You are in the right place.
Small steps are good (to use a pun!) use the support here and remember you are not alone.

Good for you for not giving up.

Colleen

PS Cathe, please forgive me for putting my two cents in. You are the expert and this is your place for posts but I feel so passionate about "older women" and fitness. We can do more than we think we can and your workouts proved that to me. I avoided you for years because I thought your workouts were just for younger, fitter women and a few years ago I took a great leap and bought your Blast Series. I have never looked back.:)

Thank You all for your responses
When I refer to me as "older" well, i guess cause i am but thats not what i refer to... I say that only because the skin doesnt respond as a younger womans skin does and hey anyone here prob knows what the bat wings of the under side of arm are and i wonder,,,after so many years of letting them go can form and sculpting every reverse it
Fortunately I am healthy enough that i can do the excersizes
True, if i dont do them for a while it takes a bit to get back into them but i can usually keep up as well as a "younger" person
I dont, however, like step I think i just dont have the coordination to follow and remember what i should do lol so sometimes i just do my own movements but keep going

Is there any dvd's that you know of that are strictly cardio (not stp) and weights those are my favs

Hello Mariah,

I don't know if you remember me when you lived back in NYC, but we did know each other casually. I think you are a beautiful woman. Cathe has some kickboxing DVD's, two of which are Kick Max and Kick,Punch and Crunch. Kick, Punch and Crunch also has another workout called Legs and Glutes on it.

Since are you looking for floor cardio, I recommend Christi Taylor who has some great high low aerobic workouts. For your bat wings, you need to work your triceps, and I am assuming that you do some of Cathe's weight workouts. Best of luck to you, and I hope you are enjoying living in Florida.

If you have any questions, feel free to write to me at: [email protected].

Hi: I myself am 5'4" 155pds. I would like to be 130pds. I too exercise daily with Cathe. If I didn't I think I would be in the 160's. I know the old metatobolism slows as we age but with more exercise and food control we can conquer: ). I hope as Cathe ages she will help us all become more physically fit. Cathe you are a great role model and we love you!~Linda~

Well, Ill be!!
How did you know it was me
You are good, gal

Yes, Living in fla is good
the restaurant i worked for in NY was sold, torn down and they put up an arbys so i figured what was i gonna do at my age so i moved to fla working as a waitress and got my real estate license market is dead now but certainly hoping as it begins to rebuild itself ill be part of it.
I have gained a lot of weight since you know me, and its ungainly weight, turned to flabby and droopy fat. which is a killer since i love the beach and the sun.
so after some, feel sorry for me years of neglect, im back to see if i can once again be the person i enjoyed being

and yes if you also would like to chat its sensualwordz at aol

and who is that delightful man in your pics
and again What a small world

Good morning
Just checking in..
Had a good weekend, exersized Fri, Sat and Sun,, good for me, Did that afterwork
Today Im off and am having the "girls" for dinner
so Cleaning, cooking and preparing is the format for the day
Will take an hour at 10 to do exercise

Hi Mariah and rock on. I have been where you are and can attest to it. Please email me. And work your program - it will bring the miracles you so deserve.

May I recommend to you and all here that you start a daily check in on the Checks Ins and Challenges forum? Maybe "Fit Gals Over Fifty" check in? The forum we are in now is for Cathe questions, and the Checks Ins forum is so great for these every day check in posts! Mariah some advice: Don't be intimidated by them Hardcore Fitness Maniacs gals in the Checks In. They are indeed maniacs but all seem to be quite nice when they are not eating nails for breakfast!! :)

Must confess I am only 43 but I would check into your forum just for the inspiration.

All the best Mariah.

Julie

Hi Mariah,

I don't check in here all the time, but I didn't forget you. I remember you from some places in Manhattan where we went for meetings and from Viktor's AOL chatroom. The delightful man in my photos is my boyfriend Dirk, and we have been together for three and a half years. I am going to buddy you on AOL, and my AOL names are CDPotier and FeralNYkitten.

I am sorry about the restaurant where you worked, and I hope you are enjoying Florida. Yes, there is hope for you, but I find it is harder to take off weight as we age.

Hi Mariah, Julie, Caitlin,& Linny,

I have to take a break from checking in but I'll be back as soon as I can.

My wonderful Brother In Law died unexpectedly last night. I loved him so much. He was my age 53.

I'm waiting to hear from my family in Seattle when the service will be. He died away from home while working in another state so it will take a bit.

My heart is breaking for my sister.

Please carry on and I'll check in when I can.

Tomorrow I plan to do Body Max 2. I do alot of marching in place on that one. :)When I'm in Seattle I'll do my running (much warmer than Minnesota.

Colleen

my prayers with you and your family
any death is always hard and unexpected death is even worse the shock of it doesnt give one a chance to even understand whats happening

Will be thinking of you while you are gone, and look forward to you coming back

I did my exercise tonite arms shoulders Tomorrow and Tuesday are my days off so i try to commit to even more so ill be huffing and puffing tomorrow

Colleen,

I am sorry sorry about your brother in law, and 53 is much too young. I know you will help your sister as much as you can.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.