Is there a secret to pushups?

shawna24k

Cathlete
I can only do about 2 on my toes and not much more on my knees. And the ones on my toes are not full pushups because if I go down like I should, I can't get back up.x( Is there some secret to doing them? Does it just take a lot of practice? I hate them sooo bad and they are so difficult I always skip that part in the workout. I know that is not good. Is there help for me?;(

IMHO, yes there IS a secret - I've trained lots of people who say they can't do pushups who can now do them. I have them assume a plank position, and concentrate on how that feels, with an absolutely straight body, neutral head position, tight abs, tight butt, straight arms, and weight distributed over your upper body. From there you can move to decline pushups off a stability ball with the ball under your upper thighs, then under your shins, and progress from there. Getting the feel of that good plank position seems to be the trick.
Just Do It! :)

Thank you so much. I will have to try this. I know that skipping that part of the w/o does not help, I just hate to do them because it is next to impossible. I will try the plank position in my next w/o that contains pushups.:D

the secret: PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE good form :)

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

Hi.

I recently asked this questioned about doing them on your toes specifically and I was told to try keeping my hands further apart. Well, a couple days later I had push ups in my work out so I widended my hand placement and BOOM, I was able to do a couple on my toes and previously I couldn't do ANY that way!

HTH!:)

Push-ups call on a lot of muscle, and that muscle working together, so any weak link in the chain can make them too hard to do.

Some things that might help:
As honeybunch mentioned, core strength is important, so just practicing planks can help strengthening the muscles used in push-ups in a static way. Start with "on the elbows and toes" planks : set a timer for 2 minutes, and do as many as necessary in that time, going down to knees only when necessary, and only as long as necessary. When you feel your back rounding or (more likely) sagging, pull in on the core and try to hold good position a bit longer. You may shake, but hold on!

Then, when you can do the whole 2 minutes in one plank, progress by going to the hands. Then try lifing one leg at a time.

When doing push-ups, instead of doing "on-the-knees" versions (which aren't an easy transition to the "on-the-toes" ones), do them all with a straight body, but change the level of your hands as necessary, to take weight off the front of the push-up and make it easier. (I think this trains the body to work in the plank/pushpup position better than going from the knees to the toes push-ups).

From easier to more difficult, height progressions can be: hands on wall, hands on kitchen counter, hands on bathtub rim, hands on kitchen chair seat, hands on step platform set at 12", then 10", then 8", then 6", then the platform itself (4"), then the floor.

YOu can also do a different type of progression, as Honeybunch does, and do the moves off a stabilty ball, starting with ball under hips, then ball lower down on thighs, then ball right below knees (not ON the knees), then ball on shins, then toes on ball. Though this does make more of a decline push-up position.

Try negative push-ups: Get into the top position for a push-up,, lower down sloooowly, holding at the 'sticking point" if you can, then go to knees and pushpup in the 'on-the-knees" position. Once at the top, go to toes and lower down again.

Give yourself enough of a break between sets of push-ups to fully recover (ie: don't try to do the push-ups in GS chest/triceps 'as-is").

When prepping to do a push-up, widen your back and chest, spread your fingers.

Try to think of this in a positive way: if something is hard for you, so much so that you hate doing it, it's probably something that you need to work on (it indicates a weakness) and will benefit you in the end.

I hate pushups too. I have never been able to do one and I also skip over them in my workouts. Thanks for posting this question and to those who answered. I feel like there might be hope for me!!;-)

Last year I thought that there was no hope for me on pushups. I slowly started angling forward on my knees and just doing more and more of them. Don't be discouraged if you can't do that killer drop set at the beginning of GS Chest. Just stop when you are fried and REJOIN. I started getting more results when, instead of quitting when I was fried, I took a quick breather and went back and completed it. When I was able to complete the pushups in almost any workout on my knees, I started working to get on my toes.

When I moved up to my toes, I would do the first 1/3 like that, then drop to my knees, then 1/2, now all the way. It takes a while and this area can really hurt if you get DOMS, so take it slowly. I also couldn't go as far down to be perfect at first, and now that is my new focus. Some days are better than others!

Holding the planks also helps with overall strength and you do need a lot of overall strength for pushups!

Good luck and IMHO any pushup is good - doesn't matter if you are on the tips of your toes or on your knees, you are still getting something.

Melissa

Keep your head in line. Your butt will follow.

http://www.picturetrail.com/pellmel

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions, I am going to try to begin with the plank position for 2 min. I think this will help, planks are also difficult for me. Maybe it is due to a weak core? Again thanks.

It's really worth the effort it takes to learn how to do them because it's the very best exercise to create definition in your arms. I get comments all the time about my arms, like, "Whatever you're doing, I want to do!" They are one of the 3 magic upper body exercises which are all you need to do - dips, push-ups and chin-ups.
Just Do It! :)

Paula,

When you sit on the edge of a seat while having your hands cup the corners of the edge of the front of seat and then go down, just skimming the edge of the seat. Works triceps.

Charlotte~~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.