Is Lifting Weights Okay for Preteens and Teens?

Saturn

Cathlete
Cathe, I am wondering what your opinion is of preteens and teens lifting weights. My son wants to lift weights with me, and is 12, and I have read that lifting can cause permanent damage to developing bones. I trust your opinion and your expertise, yet it seems that there are different opinions on the subject. What do you think?

I'm no expert, and I don't know about 12, but certainly 30 years ago my swimmer high school buddies were lifting weights. I mostly skipped the weight room and stuck to the swimming......

-Beth

older teenagers maybe like 16-19(about the age we trained in the weight room for sports) but i would check with a physician for advice on that. maybe they can offer some more pro and cons and medical reasons why or why not your son should lift weights.

i personally would say that is to young b/c of developing bones and muscles but like you i am going based on what i have read.

kassia

Here are a couple of links that discuss this further. Both sources sound as if strength training is okay, especially for teenagers as long as they follow a program designed for teens specifically. The first link gives a lot of detail as to the type of strength training, # of reps, etc. It also mentions preteens & gives some recommendations for them as well.
The second link is more aimed towards teens themselves, but still has some good info. :)

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/jay1.htm

http://kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitness/exercise/strength_training.html

Thanks for the links. My 13 year old wants to train with weights.....he doesn't want to workout with mama though. Boys! :D

Great question!! I also h ave 2 teenage boys - 14 & 16 - who are wanting to start weight training. They have actually asked me to put together a program for them. :eek: "What!?! You mean you WANT my advice?" Totallly shocked & a little bit of an inflated ego now :rolleyes:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.