Is it just our school?

pjlippert

Cathlete
It sure seems like their have been a LOT of days off- at LEAST once or twice a month their are partial weeks due to teacher work days, team planning days for the staff, PLC days whatever those are. Are other schools doing this as well. The weird thing is - we have had only a few snow days due to the extremely dry winter.

How about your schools?

Pam

My sister lives in FL and they had a 1/2 day off each month, so there are other schools doing the same as your kid's school. I think we only had two teacher workdays built into our calendar this year. We really could have used more b/c we missed a lot of days due to snowy weather (which is pretty rare in Alabama) and now we just lost 5 days due to the tornadoes that came through last week. So we are dealing w/ having to find days to make up. Our district has submitted legislation to shorten our school year b/c we are simply out of time to make up the days unless we go into summer break. Which won't work since a lot of families have already planned vacations. Our superintendent is prob wishing he had put more weather days into our calendar now. :eek:

Hi Pam:

yes, pretty much this is how HS is here in Ann Arbor, MI. Thing is, now that both my girls are high schoolers, we actually appreciate those days or half days off or early release days. My girls are doing insane amounts of homework, usually as much as 6 hours per night, in addition to extra curriculars (soccer, tennis, music) and they are so short changed on sleep that we NEED this extra time just to let them get caught up, catch a breath, take a nap or just say loudly NO, I'M NOT DOING ANY MORE HOMEWORK!!!!!!!

So it's 2 or one and 6 of the other or swings and roundabouts, pick your metaphor!

BTW: are you ready for Thursday?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Thinking of you in all Thursday readiness!

Clare

Hi ladies! I totally hear your points and appreciate the sharing. And YES, Clare- I am totally ready for finding some extra time in prayer/meditation on Thursday... not just for the day of prayer but it is also my 45th b-day!! :eek: Checkin' the next box on many surveys!:p

I think I'm feeling the days off much more this year because I finally launched my recruiting company this year so I'm feeling pulled in a thousand different directions... I've been a single mom raising a child who has special health needs as well as his ADHD for several years. His father lives out of state and my nearest relative is in Spain! So, if it weren't for my friends & church group, I'd be flayling. Still torn between the guilt of working and spending time with my DS.

p.s. I don't "feel" 45.... whatever that is "supposed" to feel like.. just a number to me baby! I feel better, healthier, more alive and connected now than I EVER did in my 20's & 30's!! Who's with me!?!?!?!

In fact, when I was at my PT appt. the other day I met this amazing lady who said she didn't want to "grab her stick" (cane) because it made her look like an "old lady". I figured she was maybe 72 at most. I told her that she certainly doesn't look or act old. She then floored me and said, "Oh, honey, I am 88 years old"!!!!!!!! Then she proceed to say--- "THAT'S good living"!!!!!! I'm pretty sure - NO- I know that she is a Cathlete at heart!!!! After I got over the shock, I told her I wanted to be like her when I am 88!!!!! Cathe--- we know you will get us ALL there!!

Keep those DVD's comin' girl!!

Pam

Hey Pam:

I am sorry I don't know anything about a day of prayer on Thursday but I do know for sure that it is your birthday, and mine! That's sort of what I meant!!!

Clare

Hi Clare- I'm such a goofball sometimes!! :eek: :rolleyes:That's right! We are birthday sisters! Yeahhh for Cinco de Mayo gals! :D

Pam

My son's school takes a lot of professional days, but they build it into the school year. He attends the local Charter school, and his school year is about a week and a half longer than the regular public school. His school also isn't so quick to call a snow day. We live in New England, so we get a decent amount of snow, but they only call a snow day if it is really dangerous to be out on the roads. He also has a longer school day (about an hour and a half longer than the regular public school). So around here it's a wash..

I counted our schools days off and if I remember, I think I counted 30 or 32 even troughout the year. That's a whole month. It doesn't even include the snow days we had. It seems like we're always out. More so then the other districts around us. I stay home, but I feel sorry for the parents that are trying to work. They have those days to deal with not to mention if their kids get sick. There are alot of stay at home moms around here. It's starting to make sense now. I think they all got fired. lol

Our district always builds in a certain number of extra days for teachers for professional development. In the end, the required number of days for students and teachers is met.

I'm guessing PLC is probably "professional learning community."

A side note to Clare: 6 hours of HW?! Insane!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.