Is anyone out running in the cold?

Afreet

Cathlete
It's been well below freezing here for weeks now, with patches of ice on the sidewalks and giant piles of snow obstructing most of my favorite running routes. Consequently, I have taken all my workouts indoors - not a big deal, I've acquired many new fun DVDs and am enjoying doing some new stuff.

BUT. This morning I REALLY wanted to go running. Our high for the day will be around 17 F with a "feels like" temperature of around 10! I just couldn't bring myself to do it, but I know I'll be yearning for the open road this week - I wondered if anyone has been braving the cold and if so, if you have any effective tips for toughing it out without having your face freeze right off!

Or, if you just want to commiserate...that's fine too. :D

Smart girl, Morningstar! I avoid even going out for my mail (it's right on my front porch) when it's this cold, much less for a run! How have things been, BTW?

I've been jonesing for a run, too. But, baby it's COLD outside. I think we're at 7* now. Poor Vlad hasn't had morning walkies today, and it's almost 12:30. No walkies unless we get temps in the 2 digits. Last couple nights were c-c-c-c-cold walkies. Anywho, back to running. Not all the neighbors shovel their walks (jerks). The streets are well plowed and clear, but where people park on the street and the plows have to go around them there is still snow and ice. I don't want to run down the middle of the road :p I do wish people would shovel their walks, though. We have a lot of dog walkers, the mailman walks, and the kids walk to school. Its just common courtesy. No one wants wet pant legs from schlepping thru 8 inches of snow.

I do, however, need to go take some books back to the library and am steeling myself up for that. They open at 1, an I'm hoping in the next 30 mins the temp will rise about 20*:D:p I like cold/cool weather and winter, but not quite this cold.

At least the sun is shining! Vlad and Merlin have found the sunny spots on the floor and appear to be content.

Nan

Right now is the warmest temperature we've seen in a few weeks. It's 32 degrees. It has been in the single digits and teens for what seems like forever.

Thank goodness for my treadmill. I am keeping up my running every day. I probably won't run outside again until late February!

Smart girl, Morningstar! I avoid even going out for my mail (it's right on my front porch) when it's this cold, much less for a run! How have things been, BTW?

Hey Tricia,

Happy New Year! I'm doing well, a little tipsy right at this exact moment, actually. I am in recovery and physiotherapy for ITBS, but physio is going well and I don't have to stop running (although Mother Nature seems to have other plans!) How are you, girl?

Well, let's just say that I am strongly considering it, but the comedy factor for the spectators may be a bit too much for everyone concerned.

-You know the nearer your destination, the more you slip sliding away

(sorry Afreet for highjacking your thread! :))

Last edited:
A bad day is when I lie in bed and think of things that might've been

- The information's unavailable to the mortal man
We're workin' our jobs, collect our pay
Believe we're gliding down the highway, when in fact we're slip sliding away

Last edited:
I love cold weather running. I don't care how cold it is as long as it's not windy - then I don't like it at all. This morning I ran when it was ten degrees and it was great. I layer on top, wear heavy tights and mittens and a fleece headband and I'm fine. I've been wearing yaktrax on my shoes because the road is snow-covered. It was beautiful this morning - the snow was sparkling from the sunshine and looked like someone poured glitter all over it. Gorgeous!

Erica

Hi-

I run outside in the cold ( I live in Michigan). If there isn't much of a windchill, I will run to about 3 degrees F.

Last year I got a pair of Yak Trax pros.. they are these coil type cleats you can slip over your running shoes to be able to run on snow and ice. They are the BOMB!! They really work.. I can feel pretty confident running on the snow, without fear of wiping out.

Usually I just bundle up and go. While I would much prefer a crisp autumn day or an early morning in the spring, there is something to be said about getting out and enjoying the beauty of the snow and winter.

If you are running in snow, I've noticed that its a much different workout than running on bare pavement... its much harder, almost like running in sand. I've noticed my times are slower and my core and hip flexors are more fatigued.

If you can either get a pair of Yak Traks or take a route where the snow and ice aren't too bad, I say go for it! Its not bad and you'll get the enjoyment out of knowing you didn't let Mother Nature defeat you for your cardio workout that day! Dress in layers and make sure your head and hands are covered. ( interestingly enough, my feet don't get cold, and I only wear one pair of socks and my running shoes.. I think it bec. of all the circulation happening while in the throes of a the run.)

Take care, Lynn M.

Lynn - I wear the Yaktrax Pros, too - they work great! And I have been running with just one pair of socks on. I wear one pair of heavy mittens and my hands are all sweaty by the end of my run. I agree that running in snow is a lot different than running on pavement - feels more like trail running to me and my times are slower, too.

Erica

Ah, the team is back! Happy New Year to you two, Janis and Morningstar!

I haven't run since the end of October!! No gym membership for me this year, my DH was laid off in December!

Glad you'll still be able to run around with us MS! As to being a bit tipsy, that's the only way to go! You don't feel the pain! LOL!

Ah, the team is back! Happy New Year to you two, Janis and Morningstar!

I haven't run since the end of October!! No gym membership for me this year, my DH was laid off in December!

Glad you'll still be able to run around with us MS! As to being a bit tipsy, that's the only way to go! You don't feel the pain! LOL!

I'm so sorry, Tricia. Are you and your husband okay financially and emotionally with his being laid off? That's so hard to deal with on so many levels. This economy bites.

- The information's unavailable to the mortal man
We're workin' our jobs, collect our pay
Believe we're gliding down the highway, when in fact we're slip sliding away

And I know a man, he came from my home town
He wore this bad shirt for his woman like a thorny crown
He said, "Dolores, I live in fear"
"My love for you is so overpowering I'm afraid that I will disappear

I don't, but all of my friends are still running at 5 am...we have 36 inches of snow and it is freezing!! I think they are crazy! But, whatever works :)

I don't, but all of my friends are still running at 5 am...we have 36 inches of snow and it is freezing!! I think they are crazy! But, whatever works :)

Where in Ohio do you live? We're in Chardon with about 3 feet of snow on the ground, too! :)

Erica

I love cold weather running. I don't care how cold it is as long as it's not windy - then I don't like it at all. This morning I ran when it was ten degrees and it was great. I layer on top, wear heavy tights and mittens and a fleece headband and I'm fine. I've been wearing yaktrax on my shoes because the road is snow-covered. It was beautiful this morning - the snow was sparkling from the sunshine and looked like someone poured glitter all over it. Gorgeous!

Erica

OK! You have motivated me to bundle up and head out in the cold! I always enjoyed cooler weather for running (so much less sweaty) but the last few winters have been so mild, I guess I've gotten spoiled.

Good to know I'm not alone - I have access to a treadmill but I can't stand it - I need a change of scenery. Thanks all!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.