Is anyone out running in the cold?

Man I feel like a wimp, . . we don't have snow but I cry like a little girl when the weather is cold. With this weather I find that I hike and walk more than I run. I just ordered Cathe's weighted vest so that will be nice to use. Nike makes the best cold weather running pants by the way.

Like Lynn and Erica I do run in the cold. But I also use the treadmill. I try to get outside about once a week in the winter months and use the TM for my other runs.

As mentioned previously, the snow really forces a slower pace and requires stabilizing muscles to work much harder. I had to slow my pace by more than a minute per mile a couple days ago, as I was running on unplowed snow on the Erie Canal path. There was about 4 inches of fresh snow; That was a completely different run from dry pavement or the TM. It was more like a trail run. The cold is not an issue as long as you dress for it. I am not a fan of heavy wind and blowing snow though.

IMO it is important to run on both the TM and outside year round if you use a TM for winter workouts. If you use one or the other and switch seasonally, there is an adjustment. But keeping up with both keeps many different muscles in tune and less likely to be injured. The TM needs deep glutes to stabilize in a different way than the road, and snow or trails are different still.

That being said, after running outside for my last run, I am doing a TM run this morning. :)

I agree that treadmill running is different than outside running. I much prefer outside running as I think it's tougher and I feel like I get a better workout.

However, I refuse to subject myself to the cold. My ears hurt (even with ear protectors or muffs), my lungs hurt when I breathe in that cold air, and my muscles ache. My legs actually feel numb when that cold wind hits. Maybe I'm just not willing to dress the part well enough. I don't think a few months per year on the treadmill has hurt my fitness level a bit though! I am just not willing to risk getting sick to be outside in the brutal cold.

Those of you talking about running in the snow... have you ever run in the sand? I'm not talking about the packed down sand of the east coast, but the soft sand of places like Panama City, FL. It's really tough! If snow running is anything like that, you're getting twice the workout on snow than if you were running on solid ground.

My dog and I go out no matter what. The coldest this year was -40C/-40F (including the wind chill). When it get that cold I make my dog wear booties (instant brakes for him).

I wear fleece long underwear and a pair of burton pants (no insulation) and a longer ski jacket, balaclava, ski mitts, and a pair of merrill insulated shoes with excellent grips on them. I may also use a pair of goggles. We usually stay out for 20-25 minutes at that temp.

The run is slow and awkward, but I do get a sweat going and the dog is happy to be outside (he is a Shiba Inu with a very thick husky like under coat). I want to try doing the early morning run on cross country skis sometimes this year.

We have had a break in the weather the last 3 days, temps about 0C or 32 F, it feels like summer, so the layers are coming off.

Its great to see so many others that brave the cold to get their runs in!

I'm glad to hear too that you all agree its much harder to run in snow!! I thought I was just being a slacker!! :)

One more thing I've noticed is that w/ running in the snow my hip flexors and lower core are definitely put more into play. Nice little bonus, since I see how much slower my times are! :) I've been consistently running 3x/week outside and we've not had a thaw yet, but I am seeing some improved definition in that area. Lower abs are an area I struggle with so I'll take it as a victory! :)

Lynn M.

Where in Ohio do you live? We're in Chardon with about 3 feet of snow on the ground, too! :)

Erica

Chagrin Falls!! How funny - Both Chardon and CF made the USA today the other day!! (You guys are the KINGS of snow!!!) Nice to meet you, fellow Clevelander!!

How funny! I love Chagrin Falls! We lived there for a year while our house was being built and loved it there. We still go there once a year and have a picnic, feed the ducks and go to the playground and the popcorn shop. :)

Nice to meet you, too! I have twins also, but they are 15 1/2 now.

Erica

Another cold / snowy weather running fan here! If you dress properly, it's actually gorgeous to run this time of year. I love it. The only thing that will relegate me to the TM is lots of black ice, or a big, wet, sloppy mess storm (I've tried to run in that in the past and it's simply impossible!). Otherwise, I'm outside.

I'm originally from the Cleveland area and I still have family there so we go back regularly (Brecksville). You guys are getting POUNDED this season!!!

How funny! I love Chagrin Falls! We lived there for a year while our house was being built and loved it there. We still go there once a year and have a picnic, feed the ducks and go to the playground and the popcorn shop. :)

Nice to meet you, too! I have twins also, but they are 15 1/2 now.

Erica

No way!! Are you my long lost twin!! haha I am glad to hear that you have survived! Mine are 3 - potty training craziness!!!!

I do most of my running on the treadmill in the winter -- not only because of the cold, but the darkness before/after work. I do try to get out on the weekends if the roads are clear and the temperatures aren't brutal.

I also wanted to say "hi" to all the Cleveland-area posters. I used to live in Lyndhurst and Twinsburg for many years. We still go back a couple times a year to visit family and friends.

Michelle

thread officially high-jacked

Hi Mstar! I hope that you feel better and the PT helps!

ok, back to the thread in question: I'm a bit of a wimp. I don't run in the bitter cold, I skip it if its down in the 20s. I will do the 30s but not less, what happens is I can't feel my legs and I over do it by a lot and injure myself. Doms is healthy but what happens with me is I turn my legs into hamburger and don't even know it happened until later. I do wear the cuddl dudz from Target under my workout pants, several layers and a muffler, so that helps.

I also wanted to say "hi" to all the Cleveland-area posters. I used to live in Lyndhurst and Twinsburg for many years. We still go back a couple times a year to visit family and friends.

Michelle

Michelle - my DH grew up in S. Euclid and went to Brush High School. :)

Erica

Hi Mstar! I hope that you feel better and the PT helps!

ok, back to the thread in question: I'm a bit of a wimp. I don't run in the bitter cold, I skip it if its down in the 20s. I will do the 30s but not less, what happens is I can't feel my legs and I over do it by a lot and injure myself. Doms is healthy but what happens with me is I turn my legs into hamburger and don't even know it happened until later. I do wear the cuddl dudz from Target under my workout pants, several layers and a muffler, so that helps.

Thanks Alisha! Happy New Year! I did run yesterday, but my knee hurt like the blazes. I wouldn't call them hamburger legs, though!

Erica,

My DH went to Brush High School, too (the "Arcs", right?). I didn't grow up in the area, but we bought our first home there. It was fun to go back over the holidays and see what has changed. Are you getting loads of snow in Chardon?

Michelle

Michelle,

What year did your DH graduate? Mine graduated in '82. We did have a lot of snow last week, but it's quiet now.

To keep this on topic, I was running every day in any temps, but the snowplow came by yesterday and tore up all the snow, dumped cinders everywhere and now our road is a mess and I can't run on it. :mad: I can barely drive on it. I did run yesterday and it was like running through uneven sludge and I kept turning my ankle. So, today I stayed indoors.

Erica

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.