Is anybody else sore finding their 1RM's?

lemoncustard

Cathlete
I cannot believe how sore I am. I have been working on the 1RM test, that is so easy even a caveman could do it, for four days. My back hurts. My pecs hurt. My triceps hurt. My biceps are feeling it. Not to mention my shoulders.

I never realized that getting ready for STS also involved getting in shape before you start. The again, I thought I was in pretty good shape......wrong......

Thanks Cathe

Rhonda

I haven't even started. I have a question for those of you that have...I consider myself "strong"....my heaviest set of dumbbells is 20lb's....and my barbell goes up to 60lbs....I also have the 2lb Cathe Weight gloves, a 10lb Vest and a set of the pace weights....so heres my question...whats the heaviest dumbbell your using when doing STS.....should I invest in 25's and 30lbs dumbbells...is it worth it or do you think i'm good with what i have??? I don't want to invest anymore $$$ if I don't have to, but I want to get the absolute most out of STS....If I'm gonna do this, I want to do it all the way!!
Thanks

I am sore, yes. But it's going to be great once it's done.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

I haven't even started. I have a question for those of you that have...I consider myself "strong"....my heaviest set of dumbbells is 20lb's....and my barbell goes up to 60lbs....I also have the 2lb Cathe Weight gloves, a 10lb Vest and a set of the pace weights....so heres my question...whats the heaviest dumbbell your using when doing STS.....should I invest in 25's and 30lbs dumbbells...is it worth it or do you think i'm good with what i have??? I don't want to invest anymore $$$ if I don't have to, but I want to get the absolute most out of STS....If I'm gonna do this, I want to do it all the way!!
Thanks

Are you currently using the 20-lb dumbbells? If so, you may need to move up. Once you do a few tests you can enter the results into the WM and see what your percentages are. Based on those percentages and knowing what Cathe calls for in the first cycle you'll know whether you need more weights. I use rubber/chrome hex dumbbells, so incremental increases with Platemates and the like are not an option for me. I am compensating with wrist weights and that is working well. I found what I would describe as "doughnut" weights that just slip on and off without any Velcro or buckling and they are really handy.

Thanks

The heaviest dumbbells I have at home are 25's. I know that these are too light for certain exercises, even with platemates added on. For home workouts I do need to get 30's and 35's. These are usually for overhead tricep pushups, rows, dumbbell squats, dumbbel lunges and so on.

I can lift 65lbs onto my shoulders using a barbell, but that's about it for right now without a squat rack. This weight is really very light for me. At the gym I usually warm-up with 50-70lbs. I usually use the gym for lower body and anything weight-wise that I don't have at home.

I think if you gonna to want the best and most of STS, then you will need heavier weights. You may not need these for meso's one and two.

I did my 1RM over a period of 2 weeks and I was quite sore the whole time.

As for DBs, I picked up a 45# db the other day so I've now got a range from 1# to 45# of dumbbells and my barbell can load up to about 190 (not that I plan on USING that much on the bb, lol).

Gayle

Yes, it is quite a workout. But I have been enjoying it. I am selecting a heavier weight than I usually use and now realize that I could have gone heavier. I always wanted to make sure that I used a weight that would allow me to complete the entire workout. I plan to go for it when doing STS.

Jo

The heaviest dumbbells I have at home are 25's. I know that these are too light for certain exercises, even with platemates added on. For home workouts I do need to get 30's and 35's. These are usually for overhead tricep pushups, rows, dumbbell squats, dumbbel lunges and so on.

I can lift 65lbs onto my shoulders using a barbell, but that's about it for right now without a squat rack. This weight is really very light for me. At the gym I usually warm-up with 50-70lbs. I usually use the gym for lower body and anything weight-wise that I don't have at home.

I think if you gonna to want the best and most of STS, then you will need heavier weights. You may not need these for meso's one and two.

OK, Now I am feeling super inferior!

Yes, I have been sore too. The good sore. I am surprised at home much more I can lift than I expected. That of course means I was cheating myself before but we won't talk about that.

Regarding the poundage. Why not try one or two 1RM's and see how it is, you will get an idea of how easy or not easy your current weights are. Just an idea.

Murph

another sore 1rm'er!
the other day my chest hurt so bad i could hardly move my arms the next day!
but, oh, how i love it!!!:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.