Ireland vacation

I'm going to assume Southern Ireland.
Spring, summer and early autumn are lovely. It will rain. No matter when you go. They will tell you it's just a mist, not rain. But it is rain! Lovely, soft, warm rain.
Driving is easy. The roads are quiet, the drivers non-aggressive. The only issues I can see are dealing with quiet, winding country lanes (terrifies my Canadian brother in law), and directions. The Irish don't have the same logic.....

It's a super-friendly country. The hospitality is amazing, as is the food.

Dublin is a real eye-opener. A great city, small enough to wander round. I've been for many a weekend!

One of my favourite areas is around cork. Kinsale is a place very special to me. The seafood festival is wonderful. The whole of the dingle / Kerry area is just so beautiful.

Ask away if you want more detail

Justine! Thanks for posting! I've missed you on the forum. How the heck are you?! I'll be looking for more info as my trip approaches but not for a while. In the meantime....what are the "must see" places or things to do?

Peg, yes, I've had a bit of a busy year so far! Also, I've not been doing as much Cathe as I used to...so I kind of feel like I shouldn't be posting here! I do check in on the 'lifting like girls' check in, though.

Ireland must sees:
the Guinness brewery in Dublin!
The Molly Malone statue and trinity college Dublin
Shopping at Browns Dublin
James Joyce centre Dublin
Kiss the Blarney Stone, just outside Cork
Eat in kinsale. Very picturesque, and definitely the 'gourmet capital' of s Ireland
Drive the ring of Kerry, stopping at all the pretty little places on the way.

Just one thing to note: it's still a very Roman Catholic country, and most places close for religious festivals - don't expect anywhere to be open over Easter!

Let me know if you need more detail. You'll have an amazing time, no matter what you do!

We have a friend that moved there 15 years ago. She lives just outside of Dublin now, and we've visited her there, and also while she lived in Galway.
Dublin will give you city life. And everything noted above is totally on the list you should see.
I highly recommend making the trip to the west coast and hitting Galway, County Cork, and the Aran Islands if you can. It's an easy drive - about 3 hrs, and beautiful along the way. Galway will give you the coastal small town experience, Aran Islands is one of the few places where they speak "Irish" - still very very traditional there, and County Cork is home to the Ailwee Caves and Cliffs of Moher, which are stunning.

Happy travels! You'll love it!

Awesome! Keep it comin'. I'll copy and paste the info into a word doc so I can compile all the info for planning my trip. This is exactly what I need to know. THANK YOU!

I went 10 years ago and loved it! Outside of Dublin is Trimm Castle (not sure if i spelled it correctly) some scenes from Braveheart were filmed there. it was lovely. Temple Bar in Dublin! whatever you do bring a good raincoat! I was in Scotland earlier this month and it rained everyday! You can literally have 4 seasons in one day!

Have a fantastic time!
Jen

Where would you stay? Would Dublin be your hub and then you drive everywhere from there? Or maybe stay in Dublin and see stuff for a few days and then relocate to another part and see stuff over there? I know my hubby would love to see the Braveheart filming location.

Hi Again
When we were there we stayed in Dublin. We were at our friends home. It was a great base. We did take the train twice to other locations for the day. Since we had a place to stay for free we did day trips. Our friends vacationed with us. Their kids and ours were all similar in age so instant playmates and us adults could have fun too! It is such a beautiful country; beautiful people. I am sure anything you will do will be great!

If you are also going up to Northern Ireland...I know up in Northern Ireland they have Game of Throne location tours. I was in Belfast for the day earlier this month and I took a black cab tour and the driver showed me all the political murals, which many were beautiful and fascinating. Also saw the wall that separates the Catholics from the Protestants. There is still this underlying tension there. I find it very sad.
Best,
Jen

I saw this post and had to check it out. Both my parents are from Ireland. There is so much to see and do that I'd say don't try to do it all!!! forgive my quick ramble ... here goes in no particular oreder ....Stay in B&B's if you can, get the extra insurance on the car, Dublin has wonderful museums but don't bring a car into the city, it's too expensive but go and stay a few days in Dublin if you can swing it and if you like art it has one of the best art museums in the world. See the Book of Kells, go to the National Museum of Archeology, see Kilmainham Jail and weep. Fly into and out of Shannon if you can. Take it slow. Live in small towns. Find what's your passion and focus on that. Scenery? History? Genealogy? Finds way to save money on food on every day meals and then go to one or two amazing restaurants. Spring and Fall are fab but I've even gone in Dec/Jan and loved it. I brought extra layers, rubber boots & a good rain coat but I live in Minnesota where winter is brutal so Ireland in the rain and gale force winds on the West Coast didn't bother me. Find places to listen to music in local towns, read local papers, find favorite authors and go to where they lived & wrote .... See ancient dolmens, visit Newgrange and Cede Fields in Mayo, climb Cruac Patrick( if the weather isn't too wild). Rent bikes and workout with the wind as a workout challenge. Go to the Druid Theater in Galway or the Abby in Dublin. See Opera in Wexford. Tour the "Big Houses" owned by the Anglo-Irish Aristocracy, see the ruins of fields from the Famine with the rubble of abandoned homes left behind as a silent testament of the attempted Genocide of the Irish People and their Culture. Visit a cheese making farm or fish farm. Go to Northern Ireland. Visit the city of Belfast. See the beautiful countryside of the 6 counties. Go to the Giants Causeway. See Derry - take a walking tour and read about it's history. Go to Donegal and breathe in the North Atlantic Air see some of the wildest beaches in Ireland.Find local walking tours and go walking. Just Go.

I saw this post and had to check it out. Both my parents are from Ireland. There is so much to see and do that I'd say don't try to do it all!!! forgive my quick ramble ... here goes in no particular oreder ....Stay in B&B's if you can, get the extra insurance on the car, Dublin has wonderful museums but don't bring a car into the city, it's too expensive but go and stay a few days in Dublin if you can swing it and if you like art it has one of the best art museums in the world. See the Book of Kells, go to the National Museum of Archeology, see Kilmainham Jail and weep. Fly into and out of Shannon if you can. Take it slow. Live in small towns. Find what's your passion and focus on that. Scenery? History? Genealogy? Finds way to save money on food on every day meals and then go to one or two amazing restaurants. Spring and Fall are fab but I've even gone in Dec/Jan and loved it. I brought extra layers, rubber boots & a good rain coat but I live in Minnesota where winter is brutal so Ireland in the rain and gale force winds on the West Coast didn't bother me. Find places to listen to music in local towns, read local papers, find favorite authors and go to where they lived & wrote .... See ancient dolmens, visit Newgrange and Cede Fields in Mayo, climb Cruac Patrick( if the weather isn't too wild). Rent bikes and workout with the wind as a workout challenge. Go to the Druid Theater in Galway or the Abby in Dublin. See Opera in Wexford. Tour the "Big Houses" owned by the Anglo-Irish Aristocracy, see the ruins of fields from the Famine with the rubble of abandoned homes left behind as a silent testament of the attempted Genocide of the Irish People and their Culture. Visit a cheese making farm or fish farm. Go to Northern Ireland. Visit the city of Belfast. See the beautiful countryside of the 6 counties. Go to the Giants Causeway. See Derry - take a walking tour and read about it's history. Go to Donegal and breathe in the North Atlantic Air see some of the wildest beaches in Ireland.Find local walking tours and go walking. Just Go.
You've made me want to go back!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.