Intermediate Abs Strength DVD Recommendations

ricklyk1

Cathlete
Can anyone recommend an intermediate(ish) abs DVD? I'm thinking something maybe like CoreMax or Abs Circuits except for an intermediate exerciser instead of an advanced exerciser. I'm really struggling with Cathe's abdominal routines. The only routine I can honestly complete in full is Stability Ball Abs and I just recently worked up to that. My abs are very weak so I've been unsuccesfully trying to modify Cathe's routines. The problem is I usually end up very frustrated and end up only doing 1/3 of the entire routine, which I know is not helping me develop my abdominal strength! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Katie,

A lot of Cathe's regular dvds have good ab segments at the end that aren't as long and in some cases not as intense as the ab circuits and core max workouts. She also has a video (Ab hits maybe?) that has 6 of the ab workouts from some of her older dvds on one dvd. Some of my favorite ab segments on her more recent workouts are: Muscle Endurance, Low Impact Cardio, Cardio and weights. They are still tough, but more approachable IMHO. HTH

Pam

I don't need to make any recommendations as the prior posters have done that already but I'd like to make another suggestion and that's to work your abs OFTEN! I get much better results in every way when I train my abs an average of 5 days per week instead of just 3.

HTH!

Try some plank work on your own.... I'm always amazed at what plank work does for my core especially if I slack and my core goes weak.

Try some plank work on your own.... I'm always amazed at what plank work does for my core especially if I slack and my core goes weak.

I am doing plank work weekly now and I have to agree. It's done awesome things! It's probably some of the more agonzing ab/core work a person can do :eek: but it's sooo worth it! :D

I agree with you all, I think the plank can help build the core area. Now I'mm still on doing planks on my knees but will work up to full planks.

I also agree that getting ab hits or doing ab sections from other workout will help build up that strength.

I don't think my core is weak Katie but I have alot to work up to as well.

Let us know how those suggestions work :)

Katie, someone here linked to this web page some time ago, and I have been using it ever since. I don't know if other doctors agree with this doctor about crunches being bad for your back, but I figure, why risk it? http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/happy_healthy_long_life/2009/06/situps.html

I don't think you have to spend a lot of time on ab work to strengthen your core. As long as you're using the right moves and challenging your core, I have seen results in as little as 5 minutes per session, a few times per week.

Hi everyone! Thank you again for all your wonderful advice. I thought you might like a quick update. Based your suggestions i've: (1) started working out my abs 3-4 times a week (before I was only working abs twice a week) and (2) added additional plank work. I'm fairly decent at regular planks but i've always struggled with side planks (which is what i've been working on). I haven't seen drastic results - nor do I expect to in such a short period of time - but i've definitely seen improvements in my strength. Now many of Cathe's abs routines just feel hard (just feel hard? haha) instead of impossible.

I've also made a few other changes which I think are benefiting me. First, i've started doing some of my abdominal work at the beginning of my workout (after the warm up) instead of the end. I used to struggle so much with the side planks in STS yoga based abs and I think it was more because my arms were just plain pooped after an hour of strength training than my abs being unable to handle the exercise. By doing some of my abdominal routines at the beginning of my workout I can really focus on my abs instead of just trying to get through the abs section and onto the stretch. Second, i've added a few short breaks between exercises (10-20 seconds). In a many of Cathe's routines, especially those at the end of a strength or cardio routine, she moves through the abs exercises very quickly. I'm sure she's designed it this way, but I’ve found adding just a brief rest between the exercises allows me to really focus on each individual exercise and complete each exercise instead of giving up or stopping 3/4 of the way through the exercise. Finally, i've been focusing quite a bit on pilates and yoga based routines. Because of a condition I was born with my spine is slightly crooked causing (as explained by my doctor) my lower back to curve in and my butt to stick out. Sigh. I've learned to live with the sticking out butt. :) Anyway, because of this, I have a natural arc in my lower back which makes it difficult at times for me to press my lower back into the ground. For some reason, yoga and pilates based abs routines just work with my body better - don't really know why. But it works!

Sorry for the long post. I get rambling and can't seem to stop! :) Thanks again!!!!! Your advice is extremely appreciated.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.