Interesting article on what the thinnest people eat

Diet fads come, and diet fads go. Everyone wants to find the easy way. The low-carbohydrate eating plan isn't new. When I was a teenager, I delved into some diet books my mom had saved from her college days - I'm 45 now, so her college days were back in the '50s. What were they advocating in those eating plans? Low carb, high protein!

I love grains and fruits, and don't prohibit myself from eating them. I take it easy on the fats and cream sauces. I also just prefer fish and chicken over beef. I haven't had a weight problem for 20 years, except those occasional "vanity" pounds (5 pounds or so).

Thanks for the article, Carole! It validates my feelings on the subject.

Diane

I try to eat a balance of protein, carbs and fat and this helps me feel my best. Also I don't feel so denied when I eat moderate amounts of carbs. If I eat mostly carbs and low protein I miss the protein, and vice versa. I think my carbs make up about 40% of my calories, protein 40%, and fat 30% (just a guess). I don't deny myself some white bread once in a while though :)

I also followed the same eating habits to lose about 57 pounds. And like you I've also been extremely fat phobic and not consuming enough "good" fats.

After 14 months, I swear I'm also paying the price too. I read an article that exercisers who didn't consume enough healthy fats experienced more physical injuries while working out. And I have just been plagued by muscle strains. I've tried buying new workout shoes, varying the types of cardio I do, included more frequent rests days and tried including more consecutive rest days from cardio but the frequency of minor injuries is escalating.

I'm going to invest in consuming good fats in gel capsule form as a way to begin to address the problem since my fat phobia is so strong.

Allyson

>Thanks Carole;
>
>I totally agree--it's what works best and feels best for me.
>I made the mistake for years, however, of not getting enough
>"good" fats into my diet. I was totally fat phobic and really
>paid for it eventually. But now I try to get enough olive
>oil, flaxseed, and the like. I feel better than ever. I
>think people get really mixed up about simple and complex
>carbs. And, of course, people need to do what works and feels
>best for them.
>
>Good Post,
>
>Carol F

I'm not surprised. Among other things, high protein foods tend to be higher in fat than complex carb foods. Fat has more calories, and calories add weight. To me, eliminating carbohydrates is sheer folly.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.