instructor pay?

Hi,
I have this dream of one day becoming certified thru ACE or AFAA and teaching aerobics. I would like to teach 4 or 5 classes weekly. Someone has told me recently that instructors make very little. Is this true? I'm only looking for something to potentially add some extra money to our finances as well as not be away from home for long periods at a time, as well as, motivate me to stay in shape myself. Also I LOVE STEP AEROBICS. Would anybody mind giving me a clue about what instructor's make? Do they get paid per class? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi Barbra!

I'm an instructor and I can tell you that my pay has varied greatly! I've been payed as little as $5 per class, to $20 per class.and everywhere in between. It's not my sole source of income, just some extra to spend and I love teaching which is why I've done it for next to nothing. Everywhere I've been, it has always been per class. However, if you work at a gym{like at the desk or something} and teach classes, then I believe it goes by the hour. Well, I hope this helps and it could be different in other parts, I'm just going by what I know in my own little corner of the world!!

Hi Barbara!

I agree with Aimee. It just varies depending on where you teach, your rental, your expenses (flyers, advertising, shoes, music, boombox, etc.) I teach 4 class (usually) per week and I don't make THAT much, but I love what I do. I have heart history in my family (genes) and I am VERY healthy. So, the way I look at it~It keeps me going and I never spend my time visiting the Dr. for health reasons!! I guess it all depends on if you want or have TO make $$, then you need to figure out where & who pays more. Good Luck~It's a FUN job and I have mets so many great friends thru my classes.

DebbieH

yes, it varies

I started teaching this year and I am no where near breaking even. I spent $300 on AFAA group fitness instructor certification ($30 for the manual). Then, I've spent $170 on kickbox, $170 on body pump certications. I'm planning on adding spinning soon - more $$$. Plus, at the gyms I teach at you need to buy your own music (prechoreographed music for some classes). I have a friend about 50 miles away who teaches at a gym where they have a box of tapes she uses so she hasn't had to buy lots of music. Plus, you have to invest in cute clothes
happy.gif
! I am finally getting on the schedule at a few clubs to regularly teach my own classes. The first year is a tough investment! Plus, some places are harder than others to get classes to teach. There are a lot of gyms here but there are also a lot of instructors who each want 5 - 10 classes a week. Pay here ranges from $12 to $30 per class (depending on gym and certifications). The clubs here don't make you pay for the onsite childcare while you are teaching a class - at least I have that going for me. Plus, I was a member at one of the gyms anyway and now have that membership for free. Also, teaching is a lot more difficult than following and the only way to learn is through practice.

So to sum up, I started doing this as a way to bring in extra money without being away from home too much. The jury is still out as to whether I will even begin to break even this year. But, I really do enjoy this so far. I love going to all the workshops and learning new things. I love getting to know the other instructors - a group of people who love fitness. I also love helping other people to achieve their goals through group fitness. I am still glad I started teaching but wish I knew it would take a little while to make money. The initial year is the worst (or maybe I just made it worse by taking all the additional certifications - but I really want to teach all of those classes). Good luck with whatever you decide!

I'm only in it for the money....

....NOT!
When I started taking aerobics classes 6 days a week, I decided that if I was going to be away from my children so often, I was gonna need to be paid for it! I've been teaching on an off since 1995, and have made between $15-$25 here in Northern Nevada. The certifications have been expensive ($300-$50 a year) but worth it. I'm currently finishing the last step of my BodyPUMP training, which is taping a live class that I'm teaching for an assessment. You can say I'm nervous....just a little! :D
I'm group fitness certified through AFAA and the requirements for CEU's are 15 every 2 years. With the recent BP training I've been through, it provided 18 AFAA CEU's, but 3 of the 15 required need to be a AFAA course. Hope this makes sense.
I know from reading your post that you are heading into this with the right idea, pure enjoyment! It doesn't make squat for money to live on, unless you teach several classes a day 6-7 days a week. But don't lose the joy of working out by burning out on over-teaching. It's not fun...I just got over that!
Anyhow, good luck on your mission and hope that it brings you joy in your life and benefits the lives of your future pariticipants!
Take Care,
Myra
happy.gif

Thanks Aimee, Debbie H, Heather & Myra

Thanks so much ladies for responding to my question regarding instructor pay. With all the information you have provided me, now I will not be blind going into this field. I had no idea it took so long to break even. But I do still want to pursue it. The money was really not the first priority anyway. Thanks!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.