inflammation story

freebird

Cathlete
Hi cathe,
I'm anxiously awaiting your inflammation story that u mentioned a while back. I was diagnosed with lupus about 18 months ago and it's been a rocky road since. I refuse to give in to the disease, I'm still working out consistently and eating clean, as I have done for over 12 yrs now. It would be encouraging to hear your story, as well as other cathletes. By the way, I've been a "lurker" on these forums forever. Finally decided to start posting...thanks

Freebird...I LOVE your picture!! Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting. I am also interested in Cathe's story. I think when someone we know (celebrity or not) has an issue that they decide to share w/ others, it's helps us to realize we are not alone. Any information shared might help others w/ a little more knowledge or it might offer choices we didn't realize were available.

Thanks tlc93, I've been working out with cathe forever and when she stated she had inflammation issues in the past, it got my antennae up for sure.
My avatar pic is my 5 yr old doberman, named Sable. She smiles on command! Lol

Welcome Freebird! I've been working out to Cathe for about 13 years and it was the best thing I ever did. I'm in the best shape that I've ever been. I too, would love to hear Cathe's inflammation story. I had severe osteoarthritis in my left hip. I was bone on bone and the doctors couldn't believe how I was still managing to workout. It wasn't easy but I stuck with it. I did end of having partial hip replacement on November 6th of 2014. It was a good decision. I'm just hoping that I can continue down a path of rebuilding my body so I don't have to have my right hip done. Last x-rays I saw that one has started in as well but not nearly as bad as my left hip.

I don't know much about lupus but I'm glad to hear you haven't given into the disease. I do know an amazing lady who is a holistic health practitioner that I would think would be able to help you. Let me know if you would like her website and that will lead you to some amazing articles, videos, and even how to get in contact with her. Keep us posted and let us know how you are doing.

Brenda

Hi Freebird and ladies.....I'm waiting for an opportunity to just write it all out. It seems like this condition has taken so many twists and turns that its hard to just say this is what happened and write it out. Thank you for your interest and I will get to it eventually....I promise! Good luck with all of your conditions. Make sure your diet is SPOT ON. Even healthy foods can go against you if you have a food sensitivity. It is totally worth keeping a log and writing down exactly what you ate and how you felt for at least three months. This way when you are having a bad day you'll have a point of reference to trouble shoot with. Good Luck....

Hey Cathe! Thanks for checking in. I completely get what you're saying about an issue that changes too often! I like the idea of writing things down. Honestly I'm surprised I haven't done that before! I get wicked migraines and have kept logs trying to pinpoint a trigger. Noting things like outside temp, stress, lighting (sunny day with fresh white snow vs. cloudy) and so on. I pay attention to what I eat but........uumm. Anyway, we're here when you're ready!

Thanks cathe- looking forward to hearing from u. I'm holding steady, blood work is the most normal it's been in quite awhile. I did have to have surgery on my left leg last month, had several blood clots caused by lupus, which in turn elevates my blood platelets. Had to take a week off from exercising but I did sneak in some upper body weights...tee hee

Hi cathe,
I'm anxiously awaiting your inflammation story that u mentioned a while back. I was diagnosed with lupus about 18 months ago and it's been a rocky road since. I refuse to give in to the disease, I'm still working out consistently and eating clean, as I have done for over 12 yrs now. It would be encouraging to hear your story, as well as other cathletes. By the way, I've been a "lurker" on these forums forever. Finally decided to start posting...thanks

Hi Freebird and others,

I don't post either but have worked out with Cathe since 2004. Your post just spoke to me because I battle rhematoid arthritis which was diagnosed in 1999..... at 38. I am now 54 so I have lived with this disease for a while now. I am on 3 medications (4 if I include prednisone that I use only as a rescue medication now) to control my RA including shots I have to give myself every other week. I too feel that diet and staying fit goes a long way in controlling the inflammation in my body generated by the RA. I am limited by my RA (such as doing pushups with ease or at all because of the RA in my wrists which is painful when my wrists bend) but I have the Perfect Pushups to assist... I have also used dumbbells.... I modify when something is too painful but usually find a way to accomplish the exercise.

Thanks for posting and asking about Cathe's inflammation story and I am really wanting to hear her story also.

I understand the medication list u have, I also take 7 prescription meds, including daily oral chemotherapy. I feel pretty damn awesome in spite of all of it though. I'm 46 yrs old, and I'm in the best shape of my life. Take that, lupus!!

Hi Freebirds and everyone!

Thanks for posting. This thread is very useful for me.

I have been working out with Cathe for a long time. I was diagnosed with RA in September 2014 when I was 51. However, I had many symptoms before that that were not text book symptoms for RA. So it took a while before I got diagnosed.

Anyway, I was unable to workout even though I tried so hard. I would try to go back to lifting weight every few weeks with no success.

Today my RA is somewhat under control and I've started again this week. So I am very interested in finding out how other RA and people with similar inflammatory do with their workouts, like weight lifting, cardio.

I myself have to lower the weight dramatically! I dare not do HiiT workout where you jump a lot yet. I try to eat healthy so that I don't get obese. etc.

Hi Freebirds and everyone!

Thanks for posting. This thread is very useful for me.

I have been working out with Cathe for a long time. I was diagnosed with RA in September 2014 when I was 51. However, I had many symptoms before that that were not text book symptoms for RA. So it took a while before I got diagnosed.

Anyway, I was unable to workout even though I tried so hard. I would try to go back to lifting weight every few weeks with no success.

Today my RA is somewhat under control and I've started again this week. So I am very interested in finding out how other RA and people with similar inflammatory do with their workouts, like weight lifting, cardio.

I myself have to lower the weight dramatically! I dare not do HiiT workout where you jump a lot yet. I try to eat healthy so that I don't get obese. etc.

Hi TG007,

I'm glad your RA is under better control now. RA not only affects the joints but the whole body. It suppresses the bone marrow so you are prone to anemia of chronic disease. That was one of the worst things at first for me, the pure exhaustion from just walking around. I remember one time my daughter wanted to go to the mall so badly, so I decided to give it a try. I got out of the car, started towards the mall from the car and had to turn around and go back to the car and home, I was so tired, walking was even a chore. My RA is under amazing control now with 3 medications including Humira shots which I take every 2 weeks. I still have flares for which I take rescue prednisone but all in all I feel so lucky to be as controlled as I have. I have a lot of joint damage but am still able to do Cathe's workouts with the exception of pushups without assistive devices. Good luck to you... and keep working out as you are able. It helps not only the body but the mind and soul ..... so you don't feel such a slave to the disease.

Thank you Freebird! It is so scary. But I was relieved when I was diagnosed because things kept happening and I didn't know what I had.

I wonder how those with RA do the pull workouts. My small joints don't like me holding the heavy dumbbells or pull anything. (I can do push workouts because I can use my palms to push and avoid using the fingers).

My issue is quite different. My bladder rules my life, with periodic pain and frequency. I got a provisional diagnosis of Interstitial Cystitis only because they don't know what else to call "it" but I don't have the same food issues as many others with the condition. I would like to find out if inflammation is an issue here. I also find my symptoms only really started as I entered perimenopause, and went off the Pill too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.