Incredible Inspiration/Motivator

smills

Hi Cathe,

I just want to say (I'm sure you've heard it lot's) that you are an exceptional fitness instructor/choreographer/motivator...the best of the best in my opinion. I've been sampling your videos online for some time now and just getting ready to order the entire line (all 66).

I'm 24 now and have been teaching fitness classes for about 8 years - my aspiration is to, someday, come even mildly close to your level of ability on the fitness floor! You are truly an inspiration. Where did you get your start and do you have any recommendations for growing as an instructor.

Thanks so much for any feedback and keep pumping out those videos,
Sara

Thanks Sara

Hi Cathe,

I just want to say (I'm sure you've heard it lot's) that you are an exceptional fitness instructor/choreographer/motivator...the best of the best in my opinion. I've been sampling your videos online for some time now and just getting ready to order the entire line (all 66).

I'm 24 now and have been teaching fitness classes for about 8 years - my aspiration is to, someday, come even mildly close to your level of ability on the fitness floor! You are truly an inspiration. Where did you get your start and do you have any recommendations for growing as an instructor.

Thanks so much for any feedback and keep pumping out those videos,
Sara

You are very sweet Sara. Thank you for the high honors (blushing). If you are 24 and have been teaching 8 years, then you sound like you started when I did (at 16 to 17). It is a wonderful profession and I wish you the very, very best.

I was active my whole life in ballet, gymnastics, track and field, but once I took my first fitness class at Elaine Powers Figure Salon, I was hooked for life. I felt an immediate connection and I was so thirsty to teach. What drew me to teaching was loving to be active, loving to work with people, and loving to create and meet challenges. I also loved to dance, create routines, and make people have fun. Since these days the fitness industry has done a lot of growing and changing (as have I). For instance, I didn't start out with any weight training, kickboxing, or senior classes....but as things come into the industry you attend the workshops, learn from leading professionals, keep up your certifications, read your trade magazines, and stay attuned to your members interests and progress. Not only do you need be knowledgeable about what is currently popular in the industy, but you also have to constantly hone your skills as a leader, a teacher, a motivator, and an educator. You may not be great at or even interested in every trend or new concept introduced into the fitness industry, but you do need to have some base knowledge on it and at the very least know where you can send an interested enthusiast to get more credible information on the topic.

What is great now is that fitness so widely accepted by all ages and is here to stay. It has finally become adopted by many as a true lifestyle vs something you did "when you were younger". One example of this is the launch of a nationwide popular fitness program, Silver Sneakers. Silver Sneakers is a nationally accredited senior program that completely focuses on the health and fitness needs of seniors ranging from 65 and older. I teach this class once a week and it has between 30 to 40 participants every class. The average age is 80 and these individuals are getting fitter by the class. They are the biggest cheerleaders at our club and walk around so enthusiastic about their health and fitness improvements. So you see Sara, we will have staying power in this industry for years to come.

Best of luck to you....and remember there is something new to learn everyday. Never get stale! Go Get'm!

Cathe, my 87 year old Grandma takes Silver Sneakers classes, and is really enjoying them. Too bad we live so far from NJ....I would love to send Grandma to work out with you!!!:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.