In need of motivation!

Titus2woman

There was a time in my life where I was fit. Now I am NOT, and while I have an extensive video collection from before, I just don't even know where to start. Being pregnant and very overweight is bringing me down! I do some pregnancy yoga and homemade dumbbell routines and walking *sometimes*, but that's it. Please come KICK me in the bottom! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

P.S. My last birth was VERY difficult too, so I'd just like to give my body every fighting chance....

Hope this helps. I exercised daily with my first pregnancy, and my daughter popped out in about 4 pushes! Start with a short video, schedule it in. I find firms are great for this. You will need easier workouts if you are pregnant and haven't exercised lately so take it slow and good luck!

Same here, I worked out all throughout my pregnancy. In fact, I did a Cathe workout the day my water broke and resumed my workouts 1 1/2 weeks after Brooke was born. I was only in labor for 4 1/2 hours and only pushed for 15 minutes. I only bled for a week afterward. I attribute this to staying fit during pregnancy.

I agree that you should just start small and make it a priority. Your body will thank you for it later:)

Why don't you join the "mom to be" check in. These forums are great for support and motivation. They definitely helped keep me going during pregnancy.

Good luck,

There was a time in MY life when I was fit, then I had 4 children and in 12 years time...I was a large lump of flab (sounds graphically gross huh!). When I was pregnant with baby number 5, I bought a very basic weight lifting video (francesca gern's). It helped me start small and I made sure to do it every day (actually every other day with a Jane Fonda aerobic workout on the alternate days....but I try not to admit that often). It made all the difference in the world for that pregnancy. I began when I was about 4 months pregnant because I was so sick prior to this time. I also ate vegan through that pregnancy...but this was incidental compared to the working out.

If you can manage to do something even 30 minutes in the morning or anytime throughout the day...it will help!! Once you do it for 21 days...it becomes habit right??:) :) :) . Do something you HAVE FUN DOING. Sometimes it's harder for someone who used to work out to get back into it because they expect to be back to the level they were previously at, but they know how hard it will be to attain that level anytime soon...correct? Don't fall into that thinking. Just do what you can and know that once you do it for a few days...you will be addicted to those good endorphins and will WANT to do it. If your tired of the videos you already own.....get a new set!!! Sometimes I need something fun and new to get me back into the swing.

Hope this helps.....and if it doesn't...I'll hit ya with a Titus2womanly thought....."Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you. If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him: for God's temple is sacred and you are that temple". So how about a little reconstructive work on that temple;) ;) ;) ;) . (Am I stretching it to say that bicep veins are very righteous?) hmmmm...I better get going. Blessings

Briee

Just another word of encouragement to start small and keep going. I'll bet if you just do a little every day, you will feel physically and psychologically better.

Please come and join us on the expecting moms thread, where we check in weekly (and sometimes more often).

Also, to encourage you, I was once a very fit person and then I got pregnant with our 4th child. There were some problems diagnosed before birth and out of fear I quit exercising and ate everything in sight. I gained 80 lbs:eek: and became truly obese for the first time of my life. I felt like an old woman. Because our baby had numerous problems, I did not begin a workout routine post partum. I was still 30 lbs overweight by the time we discovered we were pregnant with baby #5.

I had started working out with Cathe (waaaayyyy modified) about a month before knowing that I was pregnant with number 5, but I continued to workout 5-6 days a week throughout the pregnancy. I was still heavy post partum, but inspired to lose the weight.

I know this is getting wordy. Anyway, between 2 weeks post partum when I weighed myself for the first time after giving birth and the beginning of pregnancy #6, I'd gone from an 18 to a size 6 and lost 43 lbs. I also felt great and hardly had to modify any of Cathe's workouts at all.

Anyway, I know I'll have a bit (or more) to lose post partum, but one step at a time, I will do it again.

Sorry to ramble on--just start small and start somewhere and keep going!

take care
Maggie:)

well i sure feel motivated now! you all are so inspiring, definately help remember what matters most. we are pregnant, so very fortunate, and every little bit helps. i find that sometimes just encouraging myself to do a little something, and i then feel good enough to do a whole workout. and that is so good for you and the baby.

yesterday i felt awful in the am. after a few slow hours, i had an energy burst and went running. it was great!

on an aside, i know i am only 6 wks along, but does anyone have any hot flashes? i am finding that i am sweating more and more. very strange feeling.

Pull out an easier video and just get to it! :+

It doesn't matter where you start. The important thing is that you do! You have ALREADY started though, girl! You are walking and doing some weight work, etc. That's starting some where! You can not expect to start at the top! Especially during pregnancy!

Just do the best you can! That's all you should expect from yourself. Try to make it a point to do SOME kind of exercise 6 days per week!

Try walking for atleast 30 minutes (or whatever form of cardio you are comfy with) 4-5 days per week and doing a full body weight routine 2-3 days per week.

That should get you off to a good start!

BTW-please make sure to clear your work out routine with your doc since you are pregnant before you change it...if you plan to!

Best of luck!

Y'all are WONDERFUL! *THANK YOU!* I'm a headin' over to the check-in for more! PLEASE stay on me if ya think of it!

Briee, that was VERY encouraging~OUCH!!

Maggie, I wanna know MORE!

Everyone, y'all have MADE MY DAY!

(((((HUGS))))) sandi

Sandi...I was reading back over that post and I was actually looking for that "other" "temple of God" verse, but kind of got the wrong one. I must have been a hurry. It was NOT meant to be so strong!!!;) :eek: :eek: :eek: I was REALLY trying to be encouraging...but got a little OFF there!!! I'll have to look up that OTHER verse:7 :7 :7 . VERY VERY SORRY!!!

Keep in mind that when your pregnant...at least when I was pregnant....I'd go through down weeks or days and then wonder why I even felt that way on a different day. Does that make sense. You may pick up in your energy in a week or few weeks and once you get slowly back into it...you'll get more and more!! Again....so sorry. Keep us posted as to your progress PLEASE.

Briee

THANK YOU, Briee! I need that accountability right now~so I WILL keep you posted!

Well, I had come back to read this thread yesterday. I had intended to start exercising the NEXT day, but y'all were SO motivating that I did the FIRM Super Body Sculpt last night! and it felt SO GOOD to just do SOMETHING! I went through my collection and pulled out anything I thought might be useful for me in pregnancy right now, and here's the best part~I'M EXCITED! YAY! That's half the battle right there....

Since I'm just starting back I used 3, 5, and 8 pounds, and I'm happy to report that I'm not sore! Yet, anyway....

(((((HUGS))))) sandi

Well, I did the FIRM's Super Cardio Sculpt yesterday and plan to do Body Sculpt again today. I find that the cardio wipes me out and makes me sore WAY more than the weights! LOL! Isn't that weird? I've always liked weights more than cardio. After the weekend I'll join the check-in thread!

How do y'all think I should proceed? I was thinking doing one thing a week~i.e. one week of the FIRM, one week of Cathe, one week of KV, etc. Is this smart? Or should I continue longer with one type of workout? (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Hey Sandi--good for you!

I think that when you are pregnant, you should just do the workouts you feel like doing. Make your rotations work for you or don't follow a rotation at all.

Just make sure you don't do too much too fast and injure yourself--that's always a challenge for me.

ETA--what do you want to know more of? Feel free to ask. If you were wondering about the baby (because I did not give much detail there),our little boy (#4) has downs syndrome and a heart defect and could not suck (was fed with an NG tube for the first year). It was grueling as I was pumping my breast milk (for 9 mo). He still has downs, of course, but his heart is improving and he eats everything in sight it seems.

Keep us posted!
Maggie:)

(((((Firmscorpio))))) I love you, my friend! You're RIGHT! I DO need a Holiday Challenge~LOL! Do ya have one in the works? (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Well, it was difficult to get Friday's workout in. Even though I've entered my second trimester, I cannot, CANNOT handle the smell of cumin. It used to be my favorite spice! I've been doing sooo much better that I thought I'd make my turkey/mushroom burgers, AH but the cumin got to me, and I felt sick all night.

Anyway, as I was lying down my 5yos came and snuggled with me. "Hey big guy," I said. "Hey big mama," he said, "because you know you really ARE big!"

I got up and did my workout after that.... (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.